[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what is dialectical materialism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: Karl_Marx_001.jpg (18 KB, 220x313) Image search: [Google]
Karl_Marx_001.jpg
18 KB, 220x313
what is dialectical materialism
>>
File: 0gu9qHi.png (915 KB, 1277x970) Image search: [Google]
0gu9qHi.png
915 KB, 1277x970
>>1342927
A procces of viewing history by analyzing how societies and classes create ideas and how those ideas generate actions through the material condtions they are placed in.
>>
A logical fallacy which supposes that logic is invalid because it depends on fixed assumptions whereas the world is in a constant state of flux.
>>
You know, what is three principles of dialectic? Begin at this.
>>
>>1343038

i know but remind me what they are again
>>
It can mean anything as long as it suits your dissertation.
>>
>>1342957
That is not dialectical materialism actually.
>>
It is the dialectic between owners of production and the workers, i.e essentially an argument between them.

The problem is that it's not really a dialectic at all, because a dialectic implies that ideas clash and synthesize into something new, but in the case of dialectical materialism, it's essentially a war between capitalists and workers.

It's literally the economic version of a race war.
>>
>>1343383
You say this is unreasnoble, but you must understand where Marx was coming from at the time. The world was much different then, Capitalism as we now know it didn't exist, Capitalism existed as it then was beginning to dominate in an automated industrialized way. The Industrial Revolution brought great suffering to all nations, and it was far easier to see the world and demand equal rights from the people who owned these factories, that often put children to work in them in totally unsafe working conditions where they'd often have their limbs caught and crunched down. Everything was covered in a thin layer of soot, grime, and ash.

It was easier, and outright necessary, to try to come up with an alternative to this.
>>
>>1343393
This seems like copypasta for some reason.
>>
>>1343404
It isn't? I just typed it.
>>
>>1343408
Well I didn't say it was unreasonable, nor did I say that life was great in the 19th century.
>>
>>1343412
It was more the insinuation that it was unreasonable by comparing it to race war. People take for granted how shit the civilized world was at the time Marx wrote Capital. It's good to critique things in context than not.
>>
>>1343420
Yes, but I am simply answering the OP.

It is called a "dialectic", but it's a hard definition to back up, because it's based on revolutionary violence.

Since capitalists would never willingly give up their economic position, violence is necessitated, and we all know that we only have the choice between discussion/argumentation or violence.

And a dialectic is based on discussion and argumentation, not violence.

Therefore I think the term class struggle is a vastly better definition.
>>
>>1343367
Every source I can find makes this logical fallacy and directly states that it is the fundamental basis of dialectical materialism.

https://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/hegel/help/mean05.htm

In short, this fallacy wholly explains dialectical materialism. Learning more about the superficial detals of DM is largely superfluous, but you can if you want.
>>
Obviously it's a dialect on materialism you fucking ESL.
>>
>>1342956
> A procces of viewing history
That would be historical materialism. Slightly different thing.

>through the material condtions they are placed in.
I already see the thought process: "materialsim must mean materialistic in the modern meaning of the word". Materialism doesn't mean "without supernatural factors", you know.

>>1343383
> It is the dialectic between owners of production and the workers, i.e essentially an argument between them.
No. That's just some bullshit you pulled out of your ass.

>>1343430
> It is called a "dialectic", but it's a hard definition to back up, because it's based on revolutionary violence.
Some more nonsense.

>>1343367
Well, it's not, but this is the best definition of the Dialectic Materialism this thread managed to come up with.

I'm surprised, actually. I'm not sure if there are any good English books on DM. Cold War legacy. IIRC, only French (except Russians, obviously) actually internalized marxist philosophy in their Annales School. English scholars are woefully weak in this aspect. Soviet-educated Zizek is a fucking superstar compared to the rest.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.