[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does the concept of honor exist in this day and age? Is it possible
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 1s_by_wlop-d8wr56r.jpg (126 KB, 1000x675) Image search: [Google]
1s_by_wlop-d8wr56r.jpg
126 KB, 1000x675
Does the concept of honor exist in this day and age? Is it possible to have honor, or to be honorable? Just what exactly is honor? What does it mean to have honor, is it like pride?
>>
Yes, it exist at least on personal level of self-imposed restrictions. Society can't really push everyone to acting honorable because there is no agreement what is truly honorable way to act.
>>
>>1341818
Honor means reliable, consistent and earnest ethics. The word isn't in use much due to it being tied with medieval norms or rather classical views. But there are people that can be considered honourable and such in these days and age.
>>
Honor is killing your sister because the neighbor saw her ankle.
>>
>>1341849
>>1341846
>>1341843
All correct as far as I'm concerned. This is a good questoin, OP.
>>
Honour is an outdated mechanic of society used to shame people for random behaviours deemed wrong for whatever reasons, in order to keep the peace and social stability. It occurs highly in societies without a high level of official law. When we have law like we do it isn't needed.

Virtue is what you're probably looking for.
>>
>>1341818
Yes, respect is important among criminals.

It is all about maintaining the appearance of strength, rather like conspicuous consumption to display wealth they show they have so much strength they can use it to avenge petty slights.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.