[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cultural Anthropology
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 1455830884445.jpg (171 KB, 580x1744) Image search: [Google]
1455830884445.jpg
171 KB, 580x1744
What is it like? Dunno if I should get an anthropology major.

Does anyone have experience specifically in Japan anthropology?

What can you learn from anthropology that you can't from just visiting the place and being attentive and interested?

(Ftr, also getting a STEM degree so I'll [probably] have a job.)
>>
File: Ainu.png (415 KB, 339x517) Image search: [Google]
Ainu.png
415 KB, 339x517
>>1336562
It's interesting, but there is some science behind it. The STEM degree saves you anon, good thinking.

I do not have experience in Jap culture, but I do in their history. It gives a slight basis, but no expertise.

Anthropology is just what you wrote: "being attentive and interested". It goes further than that too. From my time at University, I gathered that anthropologists often times must remain invisible in order to gain a true insight on the locals.

Kind of like how you act differently at home when there are guests around. At the same time, they need to be involved in the day-to-day life to learn the local language better - books do you only so well, make connections with people, gather notes on the locals, etc.

Going to a place just being attentive and interested are what tourists do really... well, most tourists just drop the attentive part.

An anthropologist has to take it a step further than that in a way I am not qualified or intelligent enough to properly speak on it.

Try visiting your Uni's anthropology professors. They can give you great answers. If you are interested in Japan overall, maybe verse yourself in some of their history.

Remember: a peoples' history and language carry culture, not the other way around.
>>
What the fuck is going on in that picture?
>>
>>1338260
Mom has daughter. Daughter grows up to be taller than mom.
>>
I think
>>
You should. Its pretty baller. You get a great picture of how humans in general work. You shouldn't limit yourself to culural anthro, you should enjoy physical, linguistic, and biological. Bio gives you a great understanding of how we work on a physical level (anatomy and evolution, physiology and whatnot), linguistic is how we speak (express our ideas, evolution of language, how our languages and acquisition thereof may help determine our culture, vice-versa, or a mix of both), cultural you already know about, and physical is the applied version of biological and cultural via archaeological study of remains. Give me a burial site and I can tell you so much about the people who lived there and how they lived. Diet, activity patterns, age, general health, diseases, etc.
>>
>>1338267
No, it's little girl befriends young woman - years pass, and little girl isn't so little and young woman isn't so young. Cue gay stuff.
>>
>>1338260
Age gap yuri
>>
>>1338235
You're right that anthropologists have to remain detached in their analysis. However they could very well take part in local custom as a regular. You'd simply have to take into account of your own behaviors and make sure its not out of norm when you do your analysis. If your behavior is heavily influenced by your work as anthropology, then the work becomes invalid. However if its neutral tone, like how it should be, then the work would work better than if you didn't participate in the study at all.

As with many courses that deal with human psyche, it teaches things about ourselves and others. Anthropology uses that base to form a proper analysis of the society itself.
>>
>>1338326
awwwww
>>
>>1338339
They can take part in activity, but not as big participants, if you're in the hood you can't start a gang. You can if you're simply using ones learning for practical purposes, but for academic purposes, for gathering information and observation for scholarly purposes, can't do it.
Besides, ethics guidelines dictates that you've gotta be up front about your intentions to just observe, even when doing so can be str8 up detrimental. Ethics are ethics, violate em and you don't get published, or it's a big snafu if you do.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.