[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
English Language
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: 1466960167138.png (235 KB, 2000x1994) Image search: [Google]
1466960167138.png
235 KB, 2000x1994
is this correct?

All that Latin seems off...
>>
>>1335902
If it's just counting words, then you have all the legal and scientific words from latin that literally have their own dictionaries there's so many.
>>
>>1335902
English is basically:

>Germanic grammar system
>Latin/French Vocab and expressions
>>
>he doesn't recognize all the latin prefixes and suffixes
>>
>>1335902
The Latin words are mostly technical terms
The common Romance originated words in English are French (which is counted as a different category as Latin despite originating from it as well)
>>
File: words2_0.jpg (55 KB, 642x420) Image search: [Google]
words2_0.jpg
55 KB, 642x420
>>1335902
latin origin words are going to dominate medical terms and such, which is going to be a huge part of your vocabulary by number but is going to be used rarely.
when creating a simple string of words, your speech will be almost wholly Germanic.
>>
File: aryo-germanic languages.jpg (284 KB, 1416x1352) Image search: [Google]
aryo-germanic languages.jpg
284 KB, 1416x1352
>>
>>1337895
True for Latin words, but French ones are very present
You can find many in almost every posts on this website, including yours

You graph is misleading because structure words like and, or, the...etc are the most common in a sentence and are exclusively Germanic
If you count only the words that give its sense to a sentence (nouns, verbs and adjectives), it's easily 50/50 between French and Germanic
>>
>>1335902
>>1336100
>>1337895
Latin words are not just medical terms dating back from the Renaissance (although it does count). A lot of the Latin words in English are also found in German, dating from the time when Germanic tribes traded with the Roman Empire. Words like copper, kitchen, and pretty much any word that starts with ch- or sh- are of Latin origin, but obviously very distorted.
>>
>>1338353
This.

There are a lot of common (hey look a Romance word) words that are French in origin. People, dog, cat, all meat terms, culinary terms in general (including culinary, including general and "including"). Just (oh look) because it's common doesn't mean that it's Germanic (wew lad I even ended on a Latin-based exonym).
>>
>>1338384
Except the graph in OP pic considers the direct origin (aka through what language it entered English)
That's why French occupy such a big part despite most of their words ultimately originating from Latin
Kitchen is therefore considered of Germanic origin

Basically:
-Germanic = words that date back from Old and Middle English
-Latin = mostly technical tems (medical or other) plus a few less technical others that entered English when Latin was the lingua franca in Middle Ages
-French = words that entered English when England was ruled by French nobles from 1066 to 1485, plus a few others that entered the language when French was the lingua franca from the 17th century to the mid 20th century
>>
File: 1460406051186.png (584 KB, 558x451) Image search: [Google]
1460406051186.png
584 KB, 558x451
>>1338085
>aryo-germanic languages
>>
>>1338400
Hey there! While you're still in the thread, I have a question for you. Why do people make shit up about words with French origin?

>>1338353
>You(r) graph is misleading because you aren't only counting the words I want you to count
>>
>>1338622
>Why do people make shit up about words with French origin
What do you mean?

>You(r) graph is misleading because you aren't only counting the words I want you to count
Do you unironically believe that prenouns and prepositions have the same value to a sentence as verbs, nouns and adjectives?
>>
>>1338637
>What do you mean?
Like, why do people claim words that aren't of French origin are of French origin?

>Do you unironically believe that prenouns and prepositions have the same value to a sentence as verbs, nouns and adjectives?
They have a greater value to the language, and had they been displaced by French you wouldn't be ignoring them so gleefully.
>>
>>1338400
>dog
>cat
>french
>>
File: ok.png (200 KB, 692x1764) Image search: [Google]
ok.png
200 KB, 692x1764
>>1338645
>Like, why do people claim words that aren't of French origin are of French origin?

You mean cat and dog?
Maybe he was mistaken
Though I remember a meme on /int/ about this, various ironic images like pic related were posted in these kinds of threads

Still there are a huge lot of commonly used French words in English and most English speakers are unaware of that, believing that all French words look like "rendez-vous", "hors d'ovre" or shit like that
>>
>>1335902
depends, is that the most commonly used words or the words in the dictionary
>>
>>1338353
>>1335902
Surely French words should just be included as Latin.
>>
File: WORD ORIGINS.jpg (52 KB, 500x355) Image search: [Google]
WORD ORIGINS.jpg
52 KB, 500x355
>>
>>1335928
>>Germanic grammar system
not even close
>>
>>1339546
cool meme
>>
>>1339546
I don't speak Latin but I speak Spanish and some French.

The red apple in spanish is : la manzana roja
In French it's "le pomme rouge"

In English and other Germanic languages, the adjective comes before noun and does not match its gender because there are no gender words. In Latin languages, the adjective comes after the noun and matches its gender. Therefore, English has a Germanic grammar system.
>>
>>1339546
>>1339596
English grammar is very Germanic, but some people confuse Germanic and German
German is a very weird Germanic language and indeed far from being close from English
English is much closer from Norwegian for exemple
>>
>>1339523
See >>1338414

Making the distinction between French and Latin originated words is very necessary when you know the history of English language
>>
>>1339596
The Red Apple
> Malum rubrum.
>>
>>1339639
English has lost nominal cases, grammatical gender, has only vestiges of V2 word order and has heavily simplified its inflective typology. The only archetypically Germanic thing about today's English is its quite archaic phonology.
>>
>>1338637
>>1338400
>>1338353
those words are very, very important
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.