[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best reading material for understanding colonialism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 742087.gif (101 KB, 1425x625) Image search: [Google]
742087.gif
101 KB, 1425x625
What's the best reading material for understanding colonialism and decolonisation?
>>
>>1333082
Decolonisation is a false term. After the countries only gained independence nominally and entered the sphere of influence of either the U.S. or the U.S.S.R. and entered into a long period of proxy wars between the two. The Cold War was cold for Europe, it was hot as fuck for the rest of the world.
>>
>>1333120
Ok, substitute formal decolonisation as the term in that case. Have any good books on the phenomenon?
>>
>no Oman

Oh, man...
>>
Nothing?
>>
>>1333120
this

the banks still have them under as much control as nations did
>>
>>1333082
The news...UK is at it again!
>>
>>1333082
goddamn being portuguese this makes me sad
>>
>>1335373
>First in africa
>Last out
How are Mozambique and Angola today?
>>
>>1333082
Lenin
>>
File: 1444340689558.png (29 KB, 640x616) Image search: [Google]
1444340689558.png
29 KB, 640x616
try Frantz Fanon
the description of the relations between colonials and colonized made me kek as a grandson of dirty white colonials
>>
Heart of Darkness

Bourdain-tier
>>
>>1333082
Wow, great image. Is there a way I can view these as a slideshow at my own pace without screenshotting? Like is there a slideshow already?
>>
>>1337529
Poor guy tho
He wagered that muslim societies would tend towards progressive policies cuz they were the most effective at the time for gunning down colonials, which at the time seemed correct for folks, until the lebanese shia's drove their car bombs into barracks and checkpoints. That fucked with everyone.
>>
>>1338493
>wagered that muslim societies would tend towards progressive policies cuz they were the most effective at the time for gunning down colonials
Sounds like Western liberals elites of today.
>>
>>1338510
Well, most anti-colonials at the time, and before, we're mostly or half "western liberal".
Buuuuuuut we bombed em. They took soviet dosh.
The soviets were a funny lot, backwards as hell at home but throwing absurd amounts of money at anything vaguely progressive.
In any case, the FLN is still one of the most progressives groups in the muslim world, but that's mostly because of the bar being quite low these days.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.