[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was H.M.S. Pinafore the first real worldwide blockbuster sort
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: Pinaforeplaybill.jpg (2 MB, 1462x941) Image search: [Google]
Pinaforeplaybill.jpg
2 MB, 1462x941
Was H.M.S. Pinafore the first real worldwide blockbuster sort of sensation?

Consider how it was initially staged in London to modest audiences, but seemed to explode all at once in America, Australia, and London again after awhile.

I'll come out and say I'm a Pinafore-fan, but I'm really curious as to why Pinafore in particular seemed to get everybody so excited across the globe, what is it about Pinafore that made it so universal that other G&S Operas (Trial by Jury, Iolanthe, the Gondoliers) might have lacked?

Also one more question, do you think that Pinafore and light Opera in general was the unique expression of nationalism that the U.K. seemed to express, almost like its version of the unification in Germany and Italy?
>>
>>1333031
Yes. It's probably the closest earliest analog to it.

It's popularity was probably due to it portraying a dysfunctional state in a way that the others didn't quite do so.

>Pinafore and light Opera in general was the unique expression of nationalism that the U.K. seemed to express

I wouldn't quite go that far. It was light satire only.
>>
>>1333031
The Sorrows of Young Werther was the original bestseller.
>>
File: Liu Jin of the Nine Dragons.jpg (363 KB, 783x1024) Image search: [Google]
Liu Jin of the Nine Dragons.jpg
363 KB, 783x1024
>>1334784
Water Margin actually.

First Fanboy Fiction phenomena too (started the Elaborate Tattoo Craze among East Asian Criminals)
>>
>>1334823
Neat.
>>
>>1334784
>he had to deal with fanboys and people thought it would cause a wave of suicides
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.