[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> I know people think I'm stupid. Because I get bored
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: Rommel.jpg (16 KB, 300x406) Image search: [Google]
Rommel.jpg
16 KB, 300x406
> I know people think I'm stupid. Because I get bored easily. Because I have no interest in strategy or logistics or contingency planning. But see, I've learned a lot over the years. And now I see planning doesn't matter, fuel doesn't' matter, strategy doesn't matter. Only two things matter: Force in as great a concentration as you can manage, and style. And in a pinch, style can slide. In any battle, there's always a level of force against which no tactics can succeed.

What did he mean by this, /his/?
>>
A cheetah can run for twenty seconds before it tires and has to rest. Despite this it's the apex predator of its' enviroment. Because of power
>>
>>1332885
>Because of power

No, because of how it exerts its power; i.e. because of the energy of its force.

Power by itself is useless if it is not converted into energy, and energy by itself is ineffectual if it is not modulated into required force.
>>
He's an ISTP.
>>
A human being can run a marathon before it tires and has to rest. Despite this it's the apex predator of the world. Because of power
>>
>>1332871
He'd probably play Zerg.
>>
>>1332871
More dakka.
>>
>>1332871
I have very little knowledge on the subject, but weren't the quasi-guerilla tactics of small British units such as the LRDG, PPA and SAS (less power, emphasis on strategy and logistics) very successful in the face of larger Axis forces? Or are they just a meme?
>>
>>1332871

basically YOLO : the general
>>
>>1332954

It's just a meme, the Brits wrecked by using even greater force than the Afrikan corps.

Monty actually understood that to win a battle you need to have a steady logistical plan, more planes, more tanks an more men. You don't have to be a tactical genius to figure that out.
>>
>>1332885
>Despite this it's the apex predator of its' enviroment.
It literally is not
>>
>>1332970

Not the guy you're responding to, but that's not quite right: For starters, the LRDG destroyed more Luftwaffe planes in North Africa than the RAF did, so while they weren't theater winning, they were more than just a meme-tier operation, they really did put the hurt on the Afrika Korps.

But yes, he was something of a conservative, logistics based planner: On the other hand, he could also do quite well tactically. If you look at the actual parry and thrust of El Alamein #2, he really does outmaneuver Rommel quite badly, pulling Rommel's trick of luring the enemy armor to an ATG trap and wiping them out right back at him.
>>
File: germans.jpg (55 KB, 485x364) Image search: [Google]
germans.jpg
55 KB, 485x364
Rommel is a meme general adored by wehraboo redditors who don't understand that he was actually fucking shit at what he did.
>>
>>1332871

And that is why he never got into German Staff Officer school.
>>
>>1334516
I'll agree that he has a ridiculous personality cult, but was he really that poor of a general? I can't really speak for his WW2 exploits as I'm no expert, but I do know that he excelled greatly at small unit infiltration tactics in WW1.
>>
>>1332871

He described what the russians were about to do with Germany. No matter how superior the tactics, technology or the logistics are you can't stop a great force.
>>
OP Is a very good troll, he just ascribed a quote from a very obscure comic book character to Rommell. Had i not seen this thread, he might have gotten away with this.
>>
>>1334547
Terrible at logistics, self-centered and he lacked vision. So yes, he was a bad commander. For small-scale skirmishes where he could burn through all the supplies he had he was good, but no more. His style was good for winning battles, no wars.
>>
>>1332923
No protoss. Zerg is literally the opposite
>>
>>1332871
> Knowing what you're doing is for beta gommie cucks XDDD. The thousand-year Reich will 360 noscope the bolshevik menace with muh kruppstahl and muh ubermensh aryan spirit and muh Ubergrosspanzers the size of your mom.
>>
>>1334708
>His style was good for winning battles, no wars.
That's German military in nutshell.
>>
>>1332871
If it wasn't for tactics, strategy, and planning, the US would have gotten fucking wrecked by the british.
>>
WTF i love blitzkrieg tactics now
>>
>>1334547
>I'll agree that he has a ridiculous personality cult, but was he really that poor of a general?

Britbongs were so badly BTFO by Rommel, they had to build a legend around the man they were facing, portraying him as the best German general in order to mitigate the damage.

Losing to a military mastermind is easier than explaining why your million strong Cairo Front is being pushed back by 30k Germans with no logistics and running on fumes.

US has developed a similar myth around Yamamoto and the "Fanatical Oriental Warrior" in order to mitigate their own failures. Meanwhile the Russians didn't bother discussing the dozen German generals that kept punching their faces in non-stop.
>>
File: rommel.jpg (175 KB, 600x868) Image search: [Google]
rommel.jpg
175 KB, 600x868
>>1337742
>The roads leading west were jammed with fleeing American vehicles, providing easy targets for rampaging German Stuka dive-bombers swooping down from the sky like avenging furies.

>The retreat to the Western Dorsals proved to be a nightmare. The battered II Corps had been badly defeated, and with that defeat came a crisis of confidence. Fredendall, who had pulled back to the town of Kouif, complained to Eisenhower: “At present time, 1st Armored [is] in a bad state of disorganization. Ward appears tired out, worried and has informed me that to bring new tanks in would be the same as turning them over to the Germans.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.