[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the best /his/torical movies and television shows?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7
File: Rome.jpg (10 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
Rome.jpg
10 KB, 300x168
What are the best /his/torical movies and television shows?

Posting the GOAT.
>>
The Adventures of Asterix.
>>
enemy at the gates and pearl harbor for ww2 movies
>>
>>1332729
this
>>
File: AFunnyThingHappened.jpg (136 KB, 950x547) Image search: [Google]
AFunnyThingHappened.jpg
136 KB, 950x547
>>
>>1332729
>Pear Harbor
>The roles the two male leads have in the attack sequence are analogous to the real historical deeds of U.S. Army Air Forces Second Lieutenants George Welch and Kenneth M. Taylor, who took to the skies in P-40 Warhawk aircraft during the Japanese attack and, together, claimed six Japanese aircraft and a few probables. Taylor, who died in November 2006, called the film adaptation "a piece of trash... over-sensationalized and distorted"
>>
>>1332709

What about The Pianist and Kelly's Heroes?

Baa Baa Black Sheep? Red Tails? Letters from Iwo Jima?

>>1332729
>a movie most russians complained about for not being historically accurate and aMICHAEL BAY MOVIE
>a MICHAEL BAY MOVIE
>>
The two Clint Eastwood Iwo Jima movies are quite good. Also you could check out Aguirre, the Wrath of God if you're interested in conquistadores and the golden city.
>>
>>1332797
>Kelly's Heroes
Not historical but pretty great.
>>
>>1332748
>>1332797
relax I was just joking

>Kelly's Heroes
I wouldn't really consider Kelly's Heroes to be a historical movie since it has so much vietnam era anti-war and anti-establishment sentiment that feels oddly out of place in a ww2 film.

Still a great movie though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC4lVoCFZvk
>>
File: Spartacus_-_1960_-_poster.png (275 KB, 331x500) Image search: [Google]
Spartacus_-_1960_-_poster.png
275 KB, 331x500
I don't know how accurate this is but it's one of my favorites of the classic 'epics'.
>>
"Michael Kohlhass" is a very fine piece of art about a period not often used for movies.
>>
Vikings is a p good show, although not that historically accurate. They get it relatively right for the most part, although they fucked up on the lack of bright af costumes that the vikings really wore
>>
>>1332709
is this the best tv show about ancient rome ever created?
>>
>>1332882
Rome for the characters, historical acccuracy and story

Spartacus for the action and sex
>>
>>1332821
Probably the least Kubrick-like movie by Kubrick, but it's a really great one
>>
>>1334754
>Historical accuracy

Debatable. It is better than what we are accustomed to, granted, but I will be forever triggered by their portrayal of Cicero.
>>
File: 1451261286140.jpg (54 KB, 505x604) Image search: [Google]
1451261286140.jpg
54 KB, 505x604
>>1332821
yfw Kirk Douglas is still alive
>>
>>1334765
Why?
>>
>>1334754

I just re-watched Rome in two and a half days. It's inspired me to look into communities, and lo and behold there are a few dedicated to the reconstruction of Roman. . .stuff. But it basically looks like a bunch of historical circle-jerks.

I want authentic incense, gods for my god shelf, and maybe some good prayers to learn. If anyone has a source for this I'd appreciate it.

>tfw you realize mika and polly walker are the same age
>you're not a chubby chaser but would worship atia like the sun goddess she is

God she's beautiful.
>>
>>1334804

I just found the portrayal didn't do him justice, made him look more like a solitary second class scheming politician than anything else. He should have been depicted as a flawed but popular intellectual capable of garnering popular support. And Tiro should have been shown as a Freeman and his friend, not a wimpish slave.
>>
File: 1408710664377.webm (3 MB, 720x400) Image search: [Google]
1408710664377.webm
3 MB, 720x400
Given that it's based on a romanticized account it's not entirely /his/ but the 2010 adaption of Romance of the Three Kingdoms was pretty damn good.
>>
I, Claudius

Claudius is best emperor
>>
>>1332719
It's still more historically accurate than Braveheart.
>>
2nd punic wars HBO series whennnnnn
>>
File: santa Bjorn.jpg (24 KB, 250x527) Image search: [Google]
santa Bjorn.jpg
24 KB, 250x527
>>1332831
I remember actually pointing out that Vikings wear some leather BDSM bullshit instead of pic related and fantards started meming about
>lol they look like garden gnomes xD

and how badass this black shit is

this show is made for underages
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.