[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.verseoftheday.com/ >"Therefore I tell yo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 6
File: buddha-wallpaper-wallpaper-4.jpg (277 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
buddha-wallpaper-wallpaper-4.jpg
277 KB, 1920x1200
http://www.verseoftheday.com/

>"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?"

—Matthew 6:25
>>
Sounds dumb. Buddha agreed that proper body care is needed else a dead man lying is of no use to edification of anything.

Excessive is however a problem.
>>
>Literally telling people to not concern themselves with basic bodily functions like finding food and water

Is there anything in the whole universe more life-denying than Christianity?
>>
>>1331969
>Singling out Christianity.
Abrahamic faiths are all about nofunism and death.
>>
>>1331983

At least Judaism and Islam balance it out with healthy doses of war, pillaging, and literally wrestling with God.
>>
>>1331962
We worry too much about appearances and future things when the appearance is transitory along with the objects like food in the future.

>>1331969
Christ uses food as a metaphor.

>>1331983
Death to life. The death takes place in the life, thus new life is also taking place in the same life.
>>
>>1332023
We're living in a transitory world. There are no hidden "real worlds" to live in other than this. So it would be useful to learn to navigate these transitory rules of the world.
>>
>>1331969
He literally says life is more important than letting little shit get to you you pleb

Like holy shit you cross-eyed mong you really think he's saying "dude eating is bad lmao"?
>>
File: 1465524856287.gif (2 MB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1465524856287.gif
2 MB, 400x400
>>1332049

>He literally says life is more important than letting little shit get to you you pleb

>Therefor I tell you, do not worry about your life
>DO NOT WORRY ABOUT YOUR LIFE
>DO NOT
>WORRY
>ABOUT YOUR LIFE
>>
>>1331725
Christianity is a garbage religion and the world would be better off if abrahamic monotheism never fucking existed.
>>
>>1332033
The physical form passes away. To say we are wholly non-physical is a strech, but the essence of quality that we are alive is at the very least metaphysical or such a micro-atomic soul, whatever reason we are alive.

When you see a dead animal, there is no life in it, but the energy that kept it alive goes somewhere else. That is transmigration, energy is not created or destroyed, so the "soul" (the very least, the energy required to live in a body) does not die and is constant and superior to the physical form which is transitory and illusive.
>>
>>1332057
You have been deceived by a false form of Christianity, and if it is not that then you have not truly been applying the teachings of the Christ.
>>
>>1332059

>People still buy into the whole "Dude energy never destroys we are all immortal lmao" meme

Yeah, if I get a hard-disk and smash it with a hammer, the hard drive technically "still there", that doesn't mean that all the information that was on the hard drive isn't forever lost now
>>
>>1332065
Nah fuck you, the OP's post is all the proof needed that nobody with any sense should bother with your particular superstition.
>>
>>1332059
>When you see a dead animal, there is no life in it, but the energy that kept it alive goes somewhere else.

Not that guy, but I'm pretty sure it just stays within the body until it eventually decomposes and is utilized by other organisms. If anything, less energy leaves the corpse than when it's alive since it wont be wasting energy producing excess heat or sound.
>>
>>1332053
Don't worry about your life like a bird doesn't worry about its life.

A bird flies and is perfectly provided for, and so are we.

If we get caught up in worry, we create anxiety that hinders our progress. It is one thing to be cautious, but another thing to over extend your worry into a deep pit of hellish existence
>>
>>1332075

Point to the part where Matthew says "Anxiety" or anything even closely resembling it, because right now you're reading between lines that aren't there.
>>
>>1332075
Have you ever actually watched birds? They're constantly moving about searching for food, water, and mates. While I can't claim to understand the minds of birds, I would say they spend plenty of time "worrying" about their lives by the basic fact they're constantly on the search for the basic matters of it.
>>
>>1332087
>Do not worry about life
>PROOF? EVIDENCE? WHERE DOES HE TALK ABOUT ANXIETY

Is this bait?
>>
>>1332067
We are more that computer software. If you see that your body and your mind are temporary and find nothing but soul within, from there you can keep going.

Sure it sounds cheesy and mystical, but God is with your that is the source of the energy in the first place.

>>1332068
OP here, lol I posted the quote because I look at that site everyday for some inspiration, incase anyone else does too.

>>1332073
Even if all the ants eat it or it turns into the soil, the energy goes somewhere else, and that's with the idea that the energy stays within the body, but the body passes away and the energy does not.
>>
>>1332067
He's not talking about the contents of your mind but the force that animated you you dip
>>
>>1332087
If you can't read the teachings of the Christ between the lines then you are going to believe Christianity is the literal definition the world believes it is today.

Don't worry about your life, because what we worry about on a regular day basis is all transitory worry like what we will eat or wear or how we will react in situations etc when God is constantly providing for us so why worry?

>>1332093
They aren't complaining like we are. Besides it wasn't a perfect example.
>>
>>1332068
Hahshahha

>don't sweat the small stuff life, take a breather and rejoice in the fact that you exist

SUPERSTITIOUS DRECK, HEH
>>
File: 1411752304103.jpg (30 KB, 380x377) Image search: [Google]
1411752304103.jpg
30 KB, 380x377
>>1332102
>>1332104

>People still think of human behavior and function in terms of being driven by "Souls" or any other vague, nebulous "Life force"
>>
>>1332102
>Even if all the ants eat it or it turns into the soil, the energy goes somewhere else, and that's with the idea that the energy stays within the body, but the body passes away and the energy does not.

I'm just saying. The idea that there's some sort of separate "energy" contained within and distinct from the body that provides it with an animus is just not the case. There is no continuation of existence to be found within this energy, and no evidence of some sort of transcendent soul.
>>
>>1332113
>>1332114
le ebin science men here to set the record straight everyone
>>
>>1332110
>They aren't complaining like we are.

Crows communicate among themselves, so I'd assume they do at least some complaining.

>Besides it wasn't a perfect example.

Indeed.

Look, I get the general idea that there's something to be said about not letting the small shit get to you, but the fact is there's no reason to assume that there's any life but this one. So if you're going to let anything be of importance to you, the matters of this life would be a good choice.
>>
>>1332117

There is exactly zero reasons to legitimately believe in souls being the driving force behind human behavior. Zero. Thats less than one.
>>
>>1332117
Oh go away. If you can't handle actual discussion, go start yourself a hugbox on Reddit.
>>
>>1332121
Prove it.
>>
File: 1465931785955.jpg (120 KB, 600x875) Image search: [Google]
1465931785955.jpg
120 KB, 600x875
>>1332149

>Asking someone to prove a negative
>>
>>1332113
>people still think we aren't driven by soul or life force

>>1332114
>is just not the case
According to you. Honestly no one truly knows anything, however that energy is not seperate from you because that energy is you.

>>1332119
Of course this life is important because it doesn't actually end. The end of the body is just an event like eating dinner and being born. What happens after the body is a series of constant events.

It does not end
>>
Way to take the verse out of context.

>Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
-Matthew 6:26
>>
>>1332153
>consciousness is purely physical in nature

Prove it. Le brain damage isn't an argument, we're talking about consciousness not mental faculties
>>
>>1332160

Fine, consciousness is purely physical in nature

Source: Drugs, especially those capable of causing altered states of consciousness such as ego-death.
>>
>>1332165
Those just alter your faculties, and from my own personal experience with drugs the background awareness of my actions is still there.
>>
>>1332158
>According to you. Honestly no one truly knows anything

Look, let's not get into "you can't know nuffin" territory because it assaults your own position as well as it does your own. We can take some reasonable assumptions here, like that the elements of reality we perceive do exist.

>Of course this life is important because it doesn't actually end. The end of the body is just an event like eating dinner and being born. What happens after the body is a series of constant events.

Your consciousness, and your part within it, however, in all probability does (or at least, there is zero evidence that it continues in any fashion). So if you're going to concern yourself with anything, let it be that finite existence.

Frankly, the notion of asking people to ignore the short lives they've been granted in exchange for a promised afterlife that can't be demonstrated to exist is just ghoulish.
>>
>>1332171

If we're talking about "awareness" then many animals are capable of displaying basic sense of self-awareness, such as dolphins.
>>
>>1332160
>Hiding behind the hard problem of consciousness.

Nope. Physicalists can at least make some positive assertions based on physical phenomena (drugs, brain damage, etc. all have an impact on consciousness). So how about we throw the ball in your court: demonstrate a reason to believe there's a non-physical basis for consciousness, that doesn't rely on hiding in a scientific gap.
>>
>>1332172
The only thing certain here for me is that I am right where I am and so is everybody else

You don't ignore this life for afterlife that is another false belief made appearant in that way to seperate Christians and to give fuel for non-believers.

This life is a part of that after life. If we die and go to Heaven or get reborn here in Earth, it is the same life we are still living, this life however is a measurement
>>
>>1332186
That afterlife can't be demonstrated to exist. So there stands a very real chance that by sacrificing anything in this life to benefit that life that you're literally just wasting the only time you get.

Really, now you're just nitpicking. There can be said to be a clear division between the two in the form of death, as birth is a clear division between your previous non-existence and this existence.
>>
>>1332196
There is no division. If you were a tiger in the life before this one and after you die in this life let's say you become a lion, the same energy that kept you alive in this life is the same energy that brings the lion to life. The very fact objects move and grow on their own means there is an energy life force / soul that operates the body of the being.
>>
>>1332176
Consciousness is a spectrum, so what?

>>1332181
I can make a willful decision to screen my sensory inputs. Say if I'm a cop and I've made a mental note to be on the lookout for a person matching a certain but common description, suddenly I'm screening my visual stimulus in a way that definitely wasn't happening before. You can say it's a physical change, but then you're conceding consciousness is physically "self-configuring", then what the hell is responsible for that impetus?

Until physcalists can intuitively resolve the explanatory gap I'm going to stick with my views on the subject: which is that consciousness is a continuum and intrinsic everywhere. It's only in brains that it has the neurological "tools" to be more than JUST awareness
>>
>>1332202

A spectrum defined by what? Your definitions of what a "soul" is seems like an extremely evasive way of saying "central nervous system"
>>
>>1332202
>then what the hell is responsible for that impetus?

By asking this question, you've done exactly what I asked you not to do: hide in a scientific gap. That's my problem with any position but physicalism: they're completely incapable of making a positive assertion that doesn't rely on hiding in a scientific gap. "We don't understand it fully" is not sufficient justification to believe in woowoo.

>Until physcalists can intuitively resolve the explanatory gap I'm going to stick with my views on the subject: which is that consciousness is a continuum and intrinsic everywhere. It's only in brains that it has the neurological "tools" to be more than JUST awareness

Believe what you want, you just might want to come up with a better explanation than "man, we just don't know."
>>
>>1332200
Yeah, no, not buying it. Each death would be a very clear division between the two.
>>
>>1332212
>I'm going to concede you have a point but it exposes the inherent limitations of a physicality description of subjectivity so you're wrong

Family please
>>
>>1332227
I'm not conceding anything. I'm pointing out that all you have to support your position is a lack of information. Instead of actually exploring the darkness, you're just claiming its contents to be a settled matter and going from there.
>>
>>1332220
We only think people die, but they just move from the body. You can make the divisions, but it is the same with this life. When you were 4 you thought that was reality then six years later you are now 10 years old and your reality is totally different. Same body different person. Now your 23 or something let's say and all the circumstances of your reality are different and not the same.

The whole life, even though the realities of life were different when you were 4, 10 and 23, are all existing in the same life but the truth is that wherever you are now is the actual existence of the life.

Life proves itself to you right now because you are alive. When we pass away, where our life goes is somewhere is just like when we were 4, 10, and 23. Same life, different place
>>
>>1332093
>>1332075
>a bird doesn't worry about its life
pretty sure a bird fucking worries, it just doesn't see it as worry it sees it as survival. this zen be-like-jesus/buddha bullshit needs to die unless you want to chop your balls off and live in a monastery.
worry is good. it shows that you still give a fuck and that you aren't a dead piece of shit inside. there's a difference between being frozen by your biological reactions to fulfill certain needs and being driven by it. then there's also ignoring it entirely and being dead with the help of some imaginary friend.
>>
>>1332245
If it was an imaginary friend, it wouldn't prove itself in reality.
>>
>>1332238
Except just saying "god of gaps lmao" isn't an argument when the reason there's a gap in the first place is the inherent difficulty of explaining subjective experience through physical bits and pieces ya dip
>>
>>1332245
>inner peace is for fags I'll take my anxiety any day
>it's an "autist confuses detachment for emotional repression" rerun

Lel stay cucked modern
>>
>>1332258
You're just assuming there's an inherent difficulty because it supports your position to do so. Neurology is still a fairly young science, and has overturned a bunch of stupid non-physicalist explanations for consciousness (like that classic about the pineal gland being a fucking receiver).

You're making wild claims about something you don't know dick about.
>>
>>1332270
>w-we're gonna solve it, honest
>he thinks the philosophical difficulty of explaining how dead things give rise to self-aware things only through reference to the dead things themselves is a problem that's going to be resolved "with time"

I don't assume there's an inherent difficulty because it supports my "position to do so", I'm assume because it is a widely acknowledged problem you mong
>>
>>1332290
Regardless of whether or not it will be solved/more solved in time that still doesn't mean that you can interject with unfounded metaphysical ideas and insist that they are true.
>>
>>1332290
It considered an inherent problem only by woowoo believers such as yourself.
>>
>>1332266
i used to have anxiety, then i sorted my life out by getting out there and actually doing shit, but one can also take the pussy route like you have and "find inner peace". i like how you acknowledge it is detachment and still call me a cuck, you realize you have to be detached to let another man fuck your girl right? enjoy your inner peace tho.
>>
>>1332357
Then please walk me through why the explanatory gap is bullshit right now.

>>1332351
I haven't posited the existence of anything besides consciousness a bit more special than a property as arbitrary and accidental as eye color

>>1332359
>it's an "autist confuses detachment for staring at a wall 24/7/365" rerun
>>
>>1332382
>meditating yourself to cuckoldry
>>
>>1332382
>Then please walk me through why the explanatory gap is bullshit right now.

Because it is, as I said, just supporting your assertion by hiding in a gap in knowledge. You just assert that it's some sort of unsolvable problem because to do otherwise would weaken your position. Let's go back to your court: demonstrate that it's a fundamental problem that science can't conceivably get around.

>I haven't posited the existence of anything besides consciousness a bit more special than a property as arbitrary and accidental as eye color
>which is that consciousness is a continuum and intrinsic everywhere. It's only in brains that it has the neurological "tools" to be more than JUST awareness

Right there. You asserted something, which you have absolutely no basis for assuming. Physicalists have some basis (in that physical changes to the brain change the behaviours of a conscious entity), you do not.
>>
>>1332382
>Muh inner peace
You'll never become a normie this way senpai
>>
>>1332408
The real cuck is the one who needs a woman to fulfill him

>>1332409
>wahhh stop making assertions about the difficulty of explaining subjective experience through mechanistic processes that I can't refute wahhh

bruh either enlighten me about how the explanatory gap is actually bullshit, or quit while you're ahead. "w-we just haven't solved it yet" isn't argument. invoking the "future enlightened science that will close the gap" is as bad as the "god of the gaps" you dumb dumb
>>
>>1332428
>the only worthwhile goal in life is to become a normie

lel keep it nigga
>>
File: Webster_collegiate_11.jpg (38 KB, 271x368) Image search: [Google]
Webster_collegiate_11.jpg
38 KB, 271x368
>>
>>1332435
hahahahahahaha please post more.
>>
>>1332053
>Implying taking things in stride, as they come isnt good psych advice
>>
>>1332468
>dude everything is about status and money and women and pussy and women and what women think and what women want and what women think about you and what you think about women and and what other men will think when your woman fucks another man here's how you act and what you say ok you better listen to me you wouldn't want some fuckboys you'll never see again and who'll forget your name in ten minutes to think you're a KEK do you haha cuck see haha i said cuck haha KEK that's the end pal that's the big no-no you get called a cuck you better flush your worldview down the toilet CAUSE IT AIN'T WORKING haha cuuuuucks

fuck off
>>
>>1332487
LOL you're great
>>
I don't understand why buddhists reject the idea of a creator.
I am really looking to become a buddhist because It resonates the most with me. I believe in the teachings of Buddha and karma and all that shit but I do not reject the idea of a creator.
We live in a very complex universe that could not have spontaneously appeared, and to me it is pretty obvious it has a beginning and an end, and by end I do not mean a complete stop to all existance, but a transformation or an elevation of all entities.
I don't have an image of fear towards God. I believe that nothing is coincidental.
I also feel that the complete denial of every emotion to achieve inner peace is a stupid idea.
Am I even on the right mindset for buddhism?
Any specific school I should consider?
>>
>>1331969
>Be poor shit eating serf for 50 years
>Tell yourself it'll be good in the next life

Even norse niggers and arab tribals didn't have serfdom, feudalism is a jewish concept from king david
>>
>>1332065
Every form of Christianity is a "false form" because they are based on superstitious impossible nonsense.
>>
>>1332435
>bruh either enlighten me about how the explanatory gap is actually bullshit, or quit while you're ahead. "w-we just haven't solved it yet" isn't argument. invoking the "future enlightened science that will close the gap" is as bad as the "god of the gaps" you dumb dumb

I'm not invoking anything. You fucking imbecile. I just don't feel it's a hard problem, and I feel its existence is literally just an asspull to support people that can't handle the fact that they literally are just their brains.

You act as though the hard problem were a universally accepted concept in philosophy when the fact is it's widely criticized as being incoherent.
>>
>>1332542
Buddhists don't outright reject the existence of a Creator or Supreme Being, it's just that it's not conducive to ultimate liberation from suffering.

A Creator is not the highest imaginable ideal, because even a supreme being must depend on the property of existing to exist in the first place. Ergo, Being is prior to a creator deity.

There's actually a story where Buddha visits the theistic creator god and tells him to shove it up his ass, because the object of Buddhism is the unconditioned: that which is beyond inherently limiting categories/qualities, and thereby beyond the chaos of this world

Also, it's not a denial of emotion, but the adopting of an orientation, even a superconsciousness, that is above emotion, not afraid or wary of it.
>>
>>1332578
So you're not even going to make an argument, just a limpdick appeal to authority and WELL I FEEL?

lol do you think you'd let a christian get away with any of that bullshit? get the fuck outta here
>>
>>1332564
According to your opinion, impossible but you have to consider one who has honest applications of the teachings of the Christ can see the false forms of many things
>>
>>1332599
Christianity doesn't give you any more special insight. What if it actually fills your head with fantasies and delusions? Then you are even worse than you started because you are down some rabbit hole of religious conviction.
>>
File: 1466907170561.png (39 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1466907170561.png
39 KB, 800x600
>>1332578
le ebin consciousness don't real man
>>
>>1332583
No argument need be made, you fucking cunt. You haven't demonstrated it to be a hard problem, you've just pointed out that science doesn't currently have an answer and used it to justify your own inane bullshit.

What evidence do you have for this notion that "consciousness, is like, everywhere man... woah, I can see my fingers..."
>>
>>1333349
He never claims that. He points out that consciousness just makes certain aspects of itself seem more significant than they are, to give an impression of being something other than a material phenomenon.
>>
>>1333911
>can't even demonstrate why it isn't a problem
>asks me to do it

lol
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.