[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I've been reading about Ostsiedlung. Tell me something,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: Deutsche_Ostsiedlung.png (354 KB, 1181x1575) Image search: [Google]
Deutsche_Ostsiedlung.png
354 KB, 1181x1575
So I've been reading about Ostsiedlung. Tell me something, /his/, why wasn't the region modernly known as Czechia also colonized? It kinda feels like German migrants randomly stop wandering to that region in particular, but everywhere else nearby.
>>
Jesus, where is this map from? It's almost as retarded as >>1318086
>>
>>1332151
From wikipedia, why?
>>
>>1332157
OK, so I found the author of this map
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Kuhn
>>
>>1332188
Yes, you could see that in the wikipedia page. Who cares? And what does this have to do with what I was asking in the OP?
>>
>>1332151
You could at least tell us what bothers you about this map. Just claiming it is 'retarded' doesn't help anyone, does it?
>>
>Who cares?
If you're interested in the subject, you should. It's a heavily politicized and controversial topic, anything that was written about it before the year 2000 should be put into the trash.

Anyways, your feeling that Bohemia was somehow omitted by settlement movement of 13-14th century is not correct. There were easily more german speaking settlers in Bohemia than in Upper Silesia, Upper Hungary or Prussia.
>>
The reason for the German migration to the East was overpopulation. Due to the shrinking of the population caused by the black death the settlement stopped before Czechia was colonized.
>>
>>1332268
The reason was both, overpopulation in Germany and underpopulation in the east. That's why the German settlers were invited.
Bohemia was more developed and populated than Poland. So they needed fewer German settlers.
>>
>>1332250
But only in the closer parts of Bohemia to the Empire, right? So I guess I'm asking, with all the movements where the Germans went pretty far, why did they stay close in Bohemia?
>>
>>1332308
>So they needed fewer German settlers.
Ah! I see now. Thanks.
German history is quite interesting.
>>
>>1331701
Bohemia was already highly populated and there was some big hills in the way.
>>
>>1332309
they didn't there was just already a lot of Czechs so they couldn't overcome them in the Bohemian heartland
>>
File: kolonizace_v_ceskych_zemich.jpg (163 KB, 805x464) Image search: [Google]
kolonizace_v_ceskych_zemich.jpg
163 KB, 805x464
>>1332222
It automatically made me think of 19th century prussian historiography, and I wasn't all that far from truth. It's obviously motivated by author's political sympathies, not by an objective research.
>>
In places like Bohemia or Central Poland the local population was pretty high compared to the settlers so the Germans formed minority communities or were assimilated. In other places were the Slavic population was relatively low (East Germany, Austria) the locals were assimilated into the German settler community.
>>
File: 07cs039.jpg (79 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
07cs039.jpg
79 KB, 800x600
>>1332309
>But only in the closer parts of Bohemia to the Empire
I wouldn't say so. In general they moved into undeveloped areas owned by important patrons (Cistercian Order, king, highest church officials). For example, this person championed significant colonization effort in Moravia:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruno_von_Schauenburg
>>
>>1332333
>>1332400
>germans settled in the border between czechia and slovakia
so that's why they don't see eachother as the same
>>
>>1332333
So what is your criticism? What does your map show?
>>
It was colonized but every German (14 million) was expelled from the Slavic countries after WW2.
>>
>>1332695
Oh weh, muh 14 trillion innocent Germans :(
>>
>>1332828
What? There were countles innocents, for example there was no reason the expel them for Hungary or Romania, where they didn't collaborate and most of them had Hungarian/Romanian mother tongue.
>>
File: 1466621746148.png (107 KB, 221x286) Image search: [Google]
1466621746148.png
107 KB, 221x286
>>1332695
>all this just because some Prussian autists wanted better looking borders
>>
>>1334181
don'ye know about Hungary but no germans were expelled from Romania
>>
>>1334216
91000 until 1948 (this is a huge number for 350k minority), and later Chauchesku continued it.
>>
>>1334216
Chauchesku fucking sold them to the West
>>
>>1334254
>>1334258
To be fair, being kicked out by Chauchesku must jave been better than to be kept by Chauchesku.
>>
>>1334254
>>1334258
they willingly emigrated to West Germany and later Germany
during the late 70s and the 80s they even paid large sums of money to do so
>>
>>1334267
>>1334277
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I know that they willingly did so, but honestly who wouldn't run form the Chauchesku regime if they had a chance?

I still consider it a genocide, an 800 year old culture, language was lost.

And don't forget that even before communism they had a pretty shit time in Romania, their land was taken away, no autonomy was granted etc.

Roughly, in 100 years Romania slowly erased them.
>>
>>1334293
only the wealthy ones lost land in the land reform which was an attempt to create a modern society. and autonomy was really rare in the 20s and 30s.
most left because of communism (after the war many were sent in camp on ukraine to work as war reparation and by the late 70s Ceausescu was looking as the modern reformist leader he was in the previous decade) and economic as the economy was showing signs of stagnation. western propaganda was really important as it seemed alluring while communist propaganda about the west wasn't functioning as intended (communists were always bad at propaganda)
>>
>>1334330

The website of the organization of Transylvanian Saxons in Germany states that most Germans lost their land (including houses) on the basis of their alleged "Hitlerism"...
>>
>>1334464
but most people in romania lost their lands due to collectivization and all political adversaries suffered. the germans just got some special treatment during the la 40s and early 50s due to their association with the nazis and maybe because of their compact communities
>>
>>1332695
Everyone knows but the thread wasnt about that but the medieval time before.
>>
>>1331701
Because Bohemia had little free land to spare.
>>
>>1332695
They should've been sterilised in advance desu.
>>
>>1334581
Fuck off to pol.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.