[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why were people married at such a young age during the Middle Ages?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
Why were people married at such a young age during the Middle Ages?
>>
>>1328568
Children had a higher sex drive back then, a consequence of the low life expectancy and general shitty quality of life. You had to breed faster because you would die much sooner.

With the gradual removal of scarcity, marriage started happening later in life, as the need for breeding wasn't as dire.
>>
>>1328568

FOR TWO PRIME REASONS; ONE ETHICOMORAL, ONE EXPEDIENT.

THE ETHICOMORAL REASON WAS THAT TWO SOULS OUGHT TO JOIN IN MARRIAGE WHILST STILL IN THE UNCORRUPTED PURITY OF CHILDHOOD.

THE EXPEDIENT REASON WAS THAT BY MARRYING THE PAIR AS SOON AS POSSIBLE ANY POTENTIAL ACCIDENTS, OR INCIDENTS, THAT MAY HAVE PREVENTED THE UNION, WERE NEUTERED, AND ANY AGENDA BEHIND THE UNION WAS THUS EXPEDITED.
>>
>>1328592
>>1328578
What the hell? Do you actually believe the stuff your posting?
>>
File: 1425243616128.gif (41 KB, 888x888) Image search: [Google]
1425243616128.gif
41 KB, 888x888
>>1328592
>so many years and he's STILL around
impressed desu
>>
>>1328600
>>
>>1328600

WHAT IS SO UNBELIEVABLE REGARDING WHAT I POSTED?
>>
>>1328568

Only the nobles/alliance marriages. Afaik age of marriage among common people was something like 16-18.
>>
>>1328601
Ironic that you'd post that in a shitpost while the tripfag is actually contributing.
>>
>>1328568

That painting is of a political marriage. 5 year olds would not be getting married normally.
>>
>>1328568
Because of alliances, some tribal communities still do this shit around here.
>>
>>1328592
I like your posts,don't give up,is your name Haku btw?
>>
It was a nobility meme. Forcing your little meme offspring to inherit meme names and meme titles and the meme dowries and meme alliances were useful too.

But sometimes is was for actual non-meme fucking.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.