[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> elaborate ritual > bells > chants and choirs >
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: dalai-lama.jpg (94 KB, 1100x733) Image search: [Google]
dalai-lama.jpg
94 KB, 1100x733
> elaborate ritual
> bells
> chants and choirs
> incense
> processions
> rosaries
> images
> holy water
> monks
> nuns
> abbots
> Lama (basically a Pope)
> angels
> saints
> confession
> purgatory
> priests wear skirt robes
what´s the deal between tibetan buddhism and roman catholic church?
>>
>>1328307
Ones run by Chinese and the others run my Europeans
>>
>>1328317
>the others run my Europeans

Shlomo?
>>
>>1328317
>Yo Pope Francis. Yeah, it's Schlomo from Nu Yohk. Are you taking care of my Yuropeans for me? Good goy... Oh the new Argentinian president? Our friends South of the Equador will see that he gets shut down soon enough. Yes...
*Rubs hands*
>>
pagans meet a transcendent faith meets an empire.
>>
It's the Nestorian heritage of Mahayana Buddhism.
>>
>>1328434
>Mahayana
Tibetans are Vajrayana
>>
>>1328434
Christians invented Buddhism
>>
>>1328437
Yes, but in the words of the Dalai Lama "the Chinese (Mahayana Buddhists) are our elder brothers in Buddhism" since the Tibetans learned Buddhism from the Chinese.
>>
>>1328443
>Tibetans learned Buddhism from the Chinese
kek
>>
>>1328443
>from the Chinese
Who themselves learned it from merchants and missionaries traveling along the Silk Road
>>
>>1328446
But this true, the first introduction of Buddhism in a high-powered political way was from China. This is an actual quote of Tensin Gyatso, the current Dalai Lama
>>
>>1328460
>http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/history/tib_timeline.htm
He's partially right. Chinese did introduce them to Buddhism officially, but then again so did the Nepalese.

Given that Tibetans considered Chinese buddhism to be impure (so do the many chinese themselves), the Tibetans opted for the Indian/Nepalese version. They've been forever practicing the Indian buddhism rather than Chinese.
>>
>>1328479
Why so late in the game? Wasn't Buddha born in ~900 B.C.? Why did it take that long for Buddhism to reach Tibet?
>>
>>1328488
Geographical isolation and nomadic tribes society.
>>
>>1328488
He was born around ~560bc.
>>
>>1328479
>the Tibetans opted for the Indian/Nepalese version

But you are literally wrong.
>>
Tibetan Buddhists are the Protestants of Buddhism. Or even more specific than that, they are the Pentecostals or [insert other fringe sect]. Why would anybody bother with their 120,000 page scriptural canon instead of going to the earliest sources. Do they not want authentic teachings or something?
>>
>>1328677
Go on
>>
>>1328695
Authenticity is not an issue due to there not being a special sacred place for scriptures to link to. In christianity, you have the divinity to guide the bible. In Buddhism, you are left with whatever is practical approach.

What may work with India won't work in Tibet or China. Dont eat meat? There are no vegetables to grow in the tundra Himalaya. The difference between Christianity and Buddhism is effectiveness of the teachings, not divinity.
>>
>>1328695
Buddhism is not like Christianity in there being one authoritative text. I think the many people obsessing over the "pure" Hinayana Buddhism somehow being better than vajrayana or mahayana are missing the point.

That isn't to say there were not major disagreement between sects just that it seems to me westerners are interpreting Buddhist history through the lens of Christian history
>>
>>1328437
Vajrayana is a subgroup of Mahayana, they use Mahayana scriptures and refer to themselves using both names.
>>
>>1328329
>>1328383
>implying Jews aren't European

just as much as Christianity is
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.