[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ancient North Africa
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6
File: nubians-offering.jpg (79 KB, 800x423) Image search: [Google]
nubians-offering.jpg
79 KB, 800x423
When we look back at the history of Northern Africa, Egypt is almost always the topic of conversation. But what about the surrounding nations? What were they up to?
>>
>>1328053
Living in shitty huts, hunting animals, singing songs, and chilling out.
>>
>>1328087
And invading Egypt
>>
>>1328087
You're a retard.
>>
Libyans were tribes, except for the Garamantes in their Oasis cities.
The Kerma people who later became Kushites, called Nubians (Incorrectly but the most used term) were extremely similar to Egypt and Nubiology even comes under Egyptology for this reason.
>>
>>1328053

Libyan tribes menaced Egypt more than once, not least under the "Meshwesh" alliance with the Sea Peoples ~1200BC. Cyrene wasn't important early, but after it was colonised by Greeks it became a major economic player right down to the Arab conquests. Further west, the Numidians of what is now Tunisia and Algeria were famous horsemen, and formed the backbone of the Carthagean cavalry under Hannibal. Carthage of course was the other big player, at one time vying for total supremecy in the Western Med with first the Etruscans, then the Syracusans, and later the Roman Republic.
>>
>>1328115
The Meshwwsh were from Tunisia, I wonder if the Sherden came from Sardinia which faced Tunisia and allied with them because of the proximity
>>
>>1328053
which time frame are you talking about? Pleistocene? 1st dynasty? middle kingdom?

generally it's believed nothing existed at the dawn of egypt other than argo-settlments with the exception of Sumeria, their only trading partner, enemy and ally since, there were only two states, and this is a possible explanations for Sumerian style buildings and art in Egypt, literally only 1 source of imports.

as for the rest of North Africa little is known until at least the ~1000BC area, or fuck I don't know about it i mean, maybe with some digging you can find stuff, Hanno the navigator had some brief reports of the peoples they came across, you can probably find it on youtube or google docs.
>>
>Libyans
Herding, hunting, giving oracles

>Nubians

Farming, herding, trading gold & animal products, building kingdoms, sometimes invading Egypt
>>
>>1329878
Are you retarded?
Nothing existed aside for Egypt and Sumerian city states?
What about the whole fucking Levant (Canaanites, Syria)?
Which was much closer to Egypt than fucking Sumerians, also by dawn of Egpt I hope you're talking about of 3000 BC, Not 2000 when you have a lot of powers everywhere
>>
*clear throat*

We once happened to be monarchs and stuff
>>
File: sherden.jpg (167 KB, 767x534) Image search: [Google]
sherden.jpg
167 KB, 767x534
>>1328142
>Sherden came from Sardinia

This seems pretty certain, google "Nuragic culture" and compare the horned bronze figurines from Sardinia with typical Egyptian depictions of the Sherden.
>>
>>1330665
>>
>>1330637
Canaanites and Syrians came from where? what path did they take to get there, and what was on the other end? people followed the green space and water from Mesopotamia to Egypt or vice versa.

There may have been cities, maybe even a few thousand people, certainly more than mud huts, but there were no public libraries, towering structures, nothing on a national scale let alone Imperial, and they were generally tributaries in either case. Minor kingdoms cropping up later, nothing near the 3000BC time frame.

I was talking Narmer era, maybe even the murky existence preceding it.
>>
File: Relief_Sherden_Breasted.jpg (148 KB, 1048x698) Image search: [Google]
Relief_Sherden_Breasted.jpg
148 KB, 1048x698
>>1330665
>>1330668
You're right.

The triangular kilt worn by the Sherden royal guards in Egypt is also similar to those depicted in the Sardinian statues and statuettes.
>>
File: archers.jpg (56 KB, 720x432) Image search: [Google]
archers.jpg
56 KB, 720x432
>>1332319
Compare them to these statuettes for instance
>>
File: hehe... hahahaha.gif (815 KB, 252x188) Image search: [Google]
hehe... hahahaha.gif
815 KB, 252x188
>>1330643
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.