[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many hours a day do you spend on Wikipedia or researching
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: 373721-wikipedia1.png (120 KB, 620x618) Image search: [Google]
373721-wikipedia1.png
120 KB, 620x618
How many hours a day do you spend on Wikipedia or researching things to put on Wikipedia?

I spend about 10-12 hours a day on Wikipedia-related things, mainly on history and culture related articles.
>>
Less than 30 minutes. Just how terrible is your life that you spend every waking moment on wiki
>>
Why don't you read books instead
>>
>>1325837
I go on Wikipedia to look at broad information and to review or brush up on some subjects I might be rusty in. If there is something that interests me enough I'll buy a book about it or something that goes into greater detail on the subject.
>>
None pham, my studies come from pirated audio books.
>>
>>1325837
Holy shit... I feel sorry for you anon; you literally have no life. Do you live in your parents basement or do you have a job but don't sleep?
>>
File: shiggydiggity.jpg (31 KB, 439x326) Image search: [Google]
shiggydiggity.jpg
31 KB, 439x326
>2016
>using Wikipedia.com and not Wikiwand
>>
>inb4 wikipedia is le unreliable and anyone can edit it
>>
I don't go there often, but when I do I get lost for hours, usually reading about a war and each of its major battles.

That, or I pull up the Battle of Zama again and start stroking my history boner to the glory of Rome .
>>
At most an hour, just checking random articles about shit I've wondered about.

Recently I learned that seals closest relatives are bears. It kinda makes sense now that I think about it.
>>
>>1326989

Both true. Just writing "inb4" isn't a counter argument
>>
>>1327042
Yes, many articles can be edited by anyone, but stuff that is absolute bullshit usually gets fixed immediately. People often say this to discredit any information you gained from wikipedia. But really, as long as you're not doing scholarly work Wikipedia is a perfectly fine source.
>>
>>1326941
I do. I read a ton of books then add things to Wikipedia. I think I spend more time contributing to Wikipedia than gaining knowledge from it.
>>
1-2, maybe. I'm at work and don't have any assignments, so I play the Hitler game, but with the Protestant Reformation because having a bunch of Hitler related logs would look bad on my government computer. Maybe
If you don't know what it is, you use the random page key set (ctrl+shift+x, I think) and then you count how many links it takes you connect to Hitler, or the Reformation in my case. You learn about some neat things if you're sent to older eras or countries/islands you've never heard of, as you browse, looking for the closest link.
I limit myself away from selecting any modern star, because it's too easy to just jump from a French Colony to France to WW2 with Germany to the Reformation.
>>
>>1326969
Yeah, I know I'm a loser. I have severe depression too.
>>
>>1325837

Jealous. I've been trying to route more internet time into Wikipedia but I can't focus on it like I used to. >>1327112 I guess I should start doing that, I still read plenty.
>>
>>1325837
We get it. You vape
>>
>>1327563
No. I don't drink or smoke. I'm trying to quit drinking soda. I play some games though.
>>
Show us some of your contributions!
>>
>>1325837
Good job OP, you should feel proud for accomplishing good work. You could be out with friends like these other people suggest, but then your life would be completely wasted and meaningless, spending time pursuing trivial activities.
>>
editing Wikipedia is a hobby of mine, but I would never admit it in person, I think because my contributions reveal how autistically narrow my true passions are
>>
>>1326914
>Just how terrible is your life that you spend every waking moment on wiki
I came here to ask this question
>>
>>1326914
could be worse. he could be spending all that time on 4ch.. oh wait
>>
>>1327057

Not everything that's not "absolute bullshit" is automatically right. There's still plenty of reduction and distortion that aren't always obvious.
>>
>>1325837
All the subjects that interest me have been done already. I might try harder and start doing this, since I'm a loser NEET anyway. I assume there's a newcomer guide?
>>
>>1328118
I wish there was a world map with markers for all the NEETs, like there is for furries.
>>
>>1328190
The sex offender registry?
>>
>>1327984
Can't. I've made a lot of enemies over the years on Wikipedia.

>>1328065
Could be worse.
>>
>>1329332
>Worrying about "enemies" on the internet.

You have issues. Anyway, get your life together and stop escaping responsibilities and adulthood. Stop being a fucking manchild.
>>
>>1330229
Wikipedos are some of the most weirdly obsessive people on the planet. They've created this bizarre, incestuous culture of persecution and feuding on what should just be a website that objectively records information. Sort of like real academia, but without the paycheck.
>>
>>1330229
Easier said than done.
>>
About 2 minutes every other day or so. I avoid leaning on wikipedia.
>>
>>1330570
Then you're hopeless.
>>
Couple of hours on the working days, I usually have that much free time during my workday so I might as well make use of it by educating myself and learning something new.

Usually every day I check what historical events happened during that date and just continue from there.

Of course wikipedia ain't perfect, but it is not a bad habit to spend maybe hour or bit more everyday learning about almost anything, you will pick up a lot of things this way.
>>
>>1327445
Wow, this'll definitely kill time, great idea anon.
>>
Replace this with 4chan+anime and you got me
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.