[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did Europeans end up on top of the world?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8
File: BTC1511_Map_Graphic_EUROPE.png (729 KB, 2602x1952) Image search: [Google]
BTC1511_Map_Graphic_EUROPE.png
729 KB, 2602x1952
Why did Europeans end up on top of the world?
>>
>>1324678
I don't think Europe has been on top of anything for a while now.
>>
>>1324684
True, but you do agree it was the center of world civilisation when it mattered? Don't know if it's a coincidence but seems like Europe only got worse once it started importing too many migrants.
>>
File: image.jpg (604 KB, 1194x951) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
604 KB, 1194x951
>>1324678
Plate Tectonics
>>
>>1324693
Europe had a good thing going before 1914. What happened next almost completely broke their ability to maintain the relevance they had until that point.

The next war was the final nail in the coffin. The dream is dead for now, who knows when and if Europe will rise again.
>>
literally only relevant from 1550 to 1950
>>
>>1324696
Damn it, anon.
>>
File: europe.png (209 KB, 2602x1952) Image search: [Google]
europe.png
209 KB, 2602x1952
>Europe
I want this meme to end.

Pic related, what people actually mean when they say "Europe".
>>
>>1324793
>poland
>lithuania
>austria
>ottomans

nice meme
>>
>>1324793
I mean, it's the only part that matters. Should have put Russia in there, though, they do things sometimes.
>>
>>1324797
What? I didn't include any of those except Austria, which arguably deserves inclusion.
>>
>Part of the largest trade network in the world, Afro-Eurasia
>convenient sea connecting lots of useful places together, more or less leading to the development of the best naval tech on Earth
>the idea of the soverign nation-state leading to a lot of competition between nations of relatively equal power
>>
>>1324799
Point is it's not Europe. There is no Europe. It's Western Europe (or simply the West).
>>
>>1324793
The definition of Europe has changed over the years, my negro.
>>
>>1324807
exactly
>>
>>1324793
>Russia DIDN'T conquer a large part of Asia
>individuals within Russia have never contributed anything of merit
lol
>>
>>1324678

Faustian ambition and idealism, culture of individualism and creativity, monogamous non-instinctual relationships, intelligence honed by planning and co-operation through harsh winters. Good trade routes for goods and ideas. Constant warfare encouraging innovation of technology and expansions particularly naval domination.
>>
>>1324824

non-incestual*
>>
>>1324818
Oh wait, you were actually claiming those to be relevant? lmao, what's up Pawel?

>>1324820
>conquering millions of square miles of frozen wasteland
Woohoo, that sure advanced mankind.
>>
>>1324832
>muh 1492
>>
>>1324678
that's just the way the maps are drawn
>>
>>1324832
>implying the land useless
Apparently not seeing as how they defeated both Napoleon and Hitler thanks to that clay, dumbass.
>>
>>1324851
Amazing, should we also put Liberia up there for inventing AIDS?
>>
>>1324856
God you're a dumbass. It's like you don't even know why they conquered all that land but nevertheless chimed in because for some reason Russia triggers autistic rage within you.
>>
>>1324869
>RUSSIA SHOULD HAVE NEVER HAVE EXISTED AND HAS NEVER CONTRIBUTED ANYTHING TO ANYTHING EVER REEEEEEEE!
Figured.
>>
>>1324869
>Russia has contributed nothing of value to mankind.

g8 b8 m8.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Russian_innovation

it's not like modern chemistry was essential to mankind's advancement or anything.
>>
File: communism.jpg (511 KB, 1746x2552) Image search: [Google]
communism.jpg
511 KB, 1746x2552
>>1324887
>Chemistry was invented by one dude and no credit for it can go to anyone else ever.
>>
>>1324793
Africa begins at the Pyrenees m8
>>
>>1324887
I want revisionist khokhols or self-hating liberashkas to leave /his/.
>>
>>1324906
It's russophobia! I bet Ukraine did this!
>>
>>1324678
The Mediterranean has always been a major trade conduit, then from the time of Charlemagne onwards agriculture developed throughout Europe allowing large populations rivalling the Indo-Gangetic plain and the North China plain.

From the 15th century onwards technological advantages had a much greater impact on the success of a country resulting in a positive feedback loop allowing Europe to stay ahead of the curve.
>>
File: 1412724966435.jpg (24 KB, 247x269) Image search: [Google]
1412724966435.jpg
24 KB, 247x269
>>1324824
>non-incestual
European Nobility are the most Inbred subhumans in the face of the earth
>>
>>1324904
Well, Spain did discover and conquer the New World, and it used to be a major power that dominated the West for a time. Also some interesting art and architecture, even if it wasn't influential.
>>
>>1324678
>fertile land all around
>rivers everywhere
>forests and trees everywhere
>iron and metals are plenty
>all the white tribes migrating from siberia came there
>remained decentralized through its existence and competition made each culture stronger and richer
>adopted christianity which helped kings to rule over the population much more easily, unlike muslims who had a civil/inheritence war after every single death of a monarch
>whites are not lazy. they seek glory, money, and land all the time. that is why they colonized the new world while moroccans and other muslims sat on their ass
>>
>>1324931
>whites are greedy and blood thirsty. they seek glory, money, and land all the time. that is why they colonized the new world while moroccans and other muslims sat on their ass
FTFYF
>>
>>1324931
Man, finally a good post...wait...

>whites are not lazy. they seek glory, money, and land all the time. that is why they colonized the new world while Moroccans and other Muslims sat on their ass

...and it's ruined.
>>
Not so fast there, buddy, eh? Canada's closer to the top of the world. And then there's Russia, eh? Oh but Greenland's the closest.

Europe doesn't even have the highest mountain. That's Mckinley in Alaska eh? Stupid Europeans. They don't have top anything.
>>
1. The Mediterranean facilitated endless cultural osmosis and trade
2. The conquest of the new world created a huge amount of wealth and ensued a large arms race which combined propelled Europe ahead of the rest of the world, which it was previous equal to.

>>1324931
No. Half your points aren't even remotely true.
>>
>>1324931
>whites are not lazy. they seek glory, money, and land all the time. that is why they colonized the new world while moroccans and other muslims sat on their ass

We just liked to travel methinks. I still hold that innate urge to go out and conquer; but society prevails in its withstanding military and police force prowesses.

You know that song? This land is my land, this land is your land, from California etc., etc.? Yeah, I want it to be like THIS IS MY LAND, BITCH. And have an actual gang of 'cretins.' AKA GOON SKWAAAADDD as per defense. Society banishes those sort of tactics, too, ah well, /ramblingsofawhiteman.
>>
>>1324931
>fertile land all around
had to be developed first

>rivers everywhere
>forests and trees everywhere
not necessarily beneficial for agriculture

>iron and metals are plenty
how does this contrast with other regions? I doubt europe is especially abundant in minerals

>all the white tribes migrating from siberia came there
*sigh*
>>
>>1325049
>The conquest of the new world created a huge amount of wealth
Gold and cash crops don't add much to an economy, the colonies were more of an effect than a cause.
>>
>>1325121
>Gold and cash crops don't add much to an economy.
Where did this absurd meme start? My best guess is anglophiles trying to convince themselves that Britain WASN'T exploiting all those peoples across the world and was instead nobly to uplift them to Britain's own detriment.
>>
File: Yurp.jpg (121 KB, 736x791) Image search: [Google]
Yurp.jpg
121 KB, 736x791
>>1324793

No, this is '''''''''real'''''' Europe.'
>>
>>1325142
Not getting dragged into bait.

More gold didn't allow Europe to spin more wool, forge more steel or build better mousetraps. It just meant Spain could outbid other countries in the marketplace until the inflation hit.

Most economic activity occurred in Europe until the 18th century. Memelords will be looking for answers in stories of European pirates and their shenanigans across the world, but if you want real answers though you would be looking more at your first point as well as the manufacturing centers in Flanders and Hanseatic league which had rose to prominence 200 years before the renaissance. Nice and boring.
>>
>>1324696
whats the sauce on this image
>>
>>1324793
>no russia
>no greece
>no asia minor
E N D Y O U R L I F E
N
D

Y
O
U
R

L
I
F
E
>>
>>1325243
>more cotton didn't mean they could make more textiles
>more sugar plantations didn't mean more money because Europeans don't like sugar
>more metal didn't mean more steal
Wat?

I think you are abstracting economics too much.
>>
>>1324678
Civilisation started in China and swept the world westwards step by step, to India, Mesopotamia, Egypt, Greece, Rome and from there northwards, to the Celtic, Germanic and proto-Balto-Slavvic tribes.

Later it crossed the ocean, and through colonisation Europeans eventually spread civlisation to Africa, Latin America, Finland and the Eskimos.

The Europeans, being the final ones who brought civilisation, previously unseen in such an extent, just like their Roman/Romanized ancestors, look back in glory to their accomplishments. Usually afterwards they go find something lewd to fap to on the internet (another pan-European invention).
>>
>>1325325
>Civilisation started in China and swept the world westwards step by step, to India, Mesopotamia, Egypt, Greece, Rome and from there northwards, to the Celtic, Germanic and proto-Balto-Slavvic tribes.
This is funny. You are a funny man.
>>
>>1324684
>>1324705
You're aware that until it becomes majority shitskins and unavoidably fall, the US are considered European, right?
>>
holy shit are you all fucking teenagers?
It's youtube comments tier in here
>>
>>1324887
>>it's not like modern chemistry was essential to mankind's advancement or anything.
>The father of modern Chemistry is a Frenchman called Lavoisier, who defined the modern concept of the chemical element among many other things. The only thing Russia contributed to the field of chemistry was drawing a table.

Not at all. In fact, this kind of mentality was the reason why Western chemists only discovered Markovnikov's rule (essential to organic chemistry, addition of hydrogen halides to alkenes) 20 years after he published it in the late 19th century. Because Markovnikov refused to publish it in a foreign journal or language, only published in Russian!
>>
>>1325325
wow anon you have it all figured out :^)
>>
>>1325703
Anon, every /his/ thread with an interesting premise once read should act like a wake-up call that most people here are fucking idiots and you are better off NOT coming here.
>>
>>1324678
Guns, germs and steel
>>
EUROPA DELENDA EST
>>
>>1325253
Yes Anon, Europe doesn't include Asia, well spotted.
>>
>>1324824
>intelligence honed by planning and co-operation through harsh winters.

Planing winters isn't that hard.
It's just a routine you do at a certain time of the year.
>>
>>1324824
>Europe
>harsh winters
>>
>>1324913
But all the normies outbred to keep them from consolidating power and wealth. This is where outgroup altruism is speculative origin.
>>
>>1324678
Lots of wars = lots of inventions
Lots of inventions = more efficient use of time
More efficient use of time = more time to spend on other stuff like philosophies
Philosophies = better education
Better education = better structure of government
Better government = better living
Better living = more prosperity

Basically it all stemmed from so many people trying to one-up each other. Just look at the Renaissance.
>>
>>1324793
>the man who stopped the sun and moved the earth not included
>the HOLY ROMAN EMPERORS from Bohemia not included
>Russia not included
>Greece not included
>Piri Reis not included
>>
>this thread
Full of jealous 3rd worlders. (That includes burgers)
>>
File: World Divisions.png (50 KB, 1357x628) Image search: [Google]
World Divisions.png
50 KB, 1357x628
>>1324793
Blue: Europe
Red: Russia
Purple: Euro-Russia
(Brown: Westernized Middle East)

In much the same way that:
Green: India
Yellow: China
Orange: Indo-China
(Sky Blue: Westernized China)
>>
>>1326663
Pretty much this.
>>
>>1326826
literally who
>>
>>1326663
>Just look at the Renaissance.
Just look at the most violent and chaotic and also least innovative and overall shittiest time in Western history?
>>
>>1325258
Cotton production didn't become significant until the 18th century like I said, over 200 years after Columbus, it doesn't explain how Europe gained the advantage initially.

Cash crops like sugar didn't contribute much to scientific or economic development.

There wasn't much iron ore imported from the new world.

>I think you are abstracting economics too much.
No, my argument is reasonable and you have an irrational bias against me which you admitted here >>1325142

You accuse me of being an "anglophile" solely because I disagree with you, even though, as I have pointed out, there are flaws in your argument and plenty of reason to disagree beside being an "anglophile".
>>
>>1326663
The entire world was covered with tribes and warlords constantly fighting each other, Europe was not an exception in this.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.