[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Aren't most critiques of the Christian God as 'unjust'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: Paradiso_Canto_31.jpg (196 KB, 858x952) Image search: [Google]
Paradiso_Canto_31.jpg
196 KB, 858x952
Aren't most critiques of the Christian God as 'unjust' defeated when one factors in the afterlife?

Remember, Christianity teaches that this earthly life is not the only life, and that in fact earthly life is just a small fraction of overall existence. In Heaven and Hell (and Purgatory) all injustices are accounted for, all wrongs are righted, and everyone gets exactly what they deserve. That seems like a pretty strong answer to things like the problem of evil.
>>
>juridical conception of heaven and hell
Dammit, Catholics
>>
>>1323360
Since the vast majority of people dont go there, no
>>
>>1323360

Maybe I'm wrong on this, but doesn't Orthodox Christianity believe everyone goes to heaven after a time in hell for their sins?

So its not all permanent?

I'm not Orthodox but I could be wrong.
>>
>>1323383

From my limited understanding of Orthodox Christianity, heaven and hell are the exact same place.

Basically Jesus returns for the second coming, everyone that is dead is resurrected, Earth becomes the New Heaven, and God's love is like a fire or ray or light that covers the entirety of the Earth.

Whether this New Heaven is heaven or hell for you depends on whether you accept God's love or rebuke it.

Basically, think of God's love like radiation blanketing the whole planet. The people that are pious/love God will be unaffected/positively affected by this radiation.

People that hate God will be burned by it. Whether they are literally burned or just metaphorically burned is up for interpretation.
>>
>>1323383
This guy has it right
>>1323409
Whether you will eventually be reconciled, as you say, is something we simply don't know, but if you are it wouldn't come from "doing your time" so much as freely repenting.
>>
>>1323409
That's basically the Lutheran idea. We die, we sleep, we're arisen when Judgement Day comes. I don't know many Lutherans who care to get much deeper into the dispensationalism or millennialism of it.
>>
>>1323430
The Orthodox reject soul sleep. Death is a foretaste of either heaven or hell.
>>
>>1323441
So every person experiences his own personal Judgement day, huh. Jesus returning and all the saints rising happens each passing of a special boy or girl?
>>
But hell is the greatest imaginable injustice?
>girl born into a family living in poverty
>she works day and night to make her families life liveable, but since she lives in 100AD china she hasn't heard the words of christ yet
>she marries, has children and raises them to become very kind and caring adults
>on her death bed she reflects on her life and is happy that she got to spend that little time she had helping others
>she closes her eyes, realising that she is slowly descending into a lake of fire, where she can only feel maximal pain and hear the endless screams and wails of souls around her
How the fuck is this justice? Before any of you try to weasel your way out remember John 14:6 and Matthew 25:46.
>>
>>1323484
I'm not sure how or why people believe that happens. I don't. It probably has alot to do with conflation wherein all "sheol" is all "hell" and all "gehenna" is all "hell", and add hades, which is basically sheol. They're not "all hell". They're sheol/hades and gehenna, while gehenna was/is a place on Earth.
>>
>>1323490
So you don't think the 'wicked' will suffer for an eternity?
I'm aware that certain denominations like the Unitarians believe this but as far as I know, most mainstream theologians agree that the distinction isn't useful since those who don't know christ will suffer regardless of the details. I mean, the idea of people who are otherwise good being punished or purified for their accumulated sins is justice as far as the human understanding of the word goes, but this 'justice' becomes abominable and evil as soon as it becomes eternal. Obviously if god is real then he is a tyrant and we would all be better off prostrating our heads to him and begging him for mercy so it really doesn't matter whether he is just or not.
>>
>>1323545
>So you don't think the 'wicked' will suffer for an eternity?

Man, I hope not. None are righteous. I hope to not have my remains cremated, though, particularly not in a pit near Jerusalem.
>>
>>1323421
>This guy has it right
So there you have it. Orthodoxy allows heresy (Allows, not teaches. Nobody can teach with authority in Orthodoxy)
>>
>>1323360
>That seems like a pretty strong answer to things like the problem of evil.
Problems of evil are too anthropocentric anyways.
>>
>>1323484

I thought those that were ignorant Of God went to limbo/purgatory or some shit.
>>
>>1323421
On what authority do you approve that - aren't you a girl? You can't be a priest. And you don't live in a monastery either ( and if you would why would you spend time on 4chan ).
>>
>>1323383
It is permanent - there are some stories, from saints lives - that led some theologians to believe that in some contexts it is not permanent:

like if somebody lived a life in sin - but before death he confess, he will then go to hell and purify - and from there only trough the prayer of Church and the mercy of God he might have a chance to get out. Usually out only at the second judgement, before then at best he will just not suffer in hell until then.

Each soul is responsible and pretty much every single saint there ever lived and left some writing down - specified that we are responsible for everything and when we will die - our soul will have a great nostalgia for virtues, and be fully aware of how he wasted his life.

We are blind indeed while in this flesh - ever since fall we live like a in dream.

But trough reading the scriptures - trough going to Church, trough Eucharist - your eyes are slowly opening. And if you already have the basis - you can read what saints left us, their experiences about the other world while still alive.

Don't get it wrong, hell is eternal. Otherwise JESUS - Person of Trinity and God himself - would've lied.

Saints mention that over and over again - it's just modern theologians that started to rumor ideas that are contrary because they tend to follow the West and what catholic church is fooling people with for centuries.

After hell - there's some experience of time there for a while ( some saints trough their revelations found out that let's say 1 - 2 hours on earth are a century or more in hell ) - but even there after a long period of undefined time - souls there will get out and get a new body - on second Judgement every single human that ever lived will leave his place, heaven or hell and get a new body.

If they are sent in the lake of fire, the punishment will also be corporal for eternity - trough a body that never dies.
>>
>>1323631
Oh and again that salvation thing - the possibility to be saved from hell - it's obviously available only for the orthodox Church - every single saint said that the salvation of heretics is not guaranteed, nor the salvation of orthodox members is... but at least the chance is present.

Jesus waked the earth 2016 years, trough his Grace his scriptures were kept intact and are available world wide, trough his grace even in modern life - pretty much every single human heard of Him.

Also He took care of His Church and the orthodox church still exist today and is world spread, you have no excuse - you can travel every Sunday to a local Church, and find 4 times / year to confess.
+ you can always use your time at home to read the Scriptures and what saints left us with.
>>
>I'm preaching you the true God
>which means justice consists on loving those that hate you, giving love as a payment for hatred :D

This is enough to give an aneurysm to the most impossibly unjust devil
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.