[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Explain gnosticism to me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 1024x768
Explain gnosticism to me
>>
>>1322107
>there are two gods, one good, one evil
>there are two main aspects of the world, the material and the spiritual
>the spiritual was created by the good god, therefore, it's good
>the material was created by the evil god, so everything connected to matter, human bodies etc. is inherently sinful
>the goal of the religion is to get away from this flawed material world
>practicing ascesis, swearing off of sex etc. is encouraged
>according to some sects, the old testament god not the same as the new testament one. the former is the evil one.
>>
Solution to problem of evil is that God in fact pretty evil or maybe just powerless to stop evil. Actually there are two Gods, one is evil and the other is powerless. Seems logical to me.
>>
>>1322170
I thought it was one is ignorant and the other can't help us directly without killing us, so he sent a messenger.
>>
>>1322154
Could you give me some exemples of gnostic sects
>>
>>1322107
It's a godless cult of autists who think they can accumulate super spooky knowledge and transcend humanity.
>>
>>1322255
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Gnostic_sects
>>
>>1322264
Nice shitpost
>>
>>1322317
Thanks
>>
>>1322107
Material = bad

Spiritual = good
>>
Not op here but does anyone know what book has all the gnostic gospels in it?
>>
>>1322450
>all

Most teachings were destroyed because of heresy.
Only a few remain.
>>
>>1322450

http://gnosis.org/naghamm/nhl.html
>>
>>1322107
>The Secret Book of John is the one Gnostic text every student seeking to understand the roots of ancient Christianity must read.
http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/apocjn-davies.html
>>
>>1322483
Why where they destroyed?, how where they heretical?
>>
>>1322590

Early Christianity was a clusterfuck of weird ideas and books, of which only a handful were declared "canon" and compiled into what we now call the New Testament. The reasons why some where chosen over others is laregly mysterious, but in general they chose the most literalist and simple-minded versions of the various gospels that existed at the time, then burned all the rest to hide what they had done. Sadly for them, many of the "lost" gospels have since been discovered, which you would think would BTFO of modern Christianity but oddly most Christians don't seem to care about this outrageous and obvious human meddling with the "message of god".
>>
>>1322603
wow, fucking christcucks
>>
>>1322603
Considering the Bible is not the word of god directly written into the book using a prophet as a vehicle like the Quran, it's perfectly "acceptable" that some works are branded as non canon. It's like an academic consensus.
>>
>>1322637

Err not really since if it was God's will that his word not be corrupted, why did it become corrupted in the first place? Also, why is there more than one Christian church today? Surely this can only happen if his word has become corrupted yet again, which begs the question why he intervened that one time but never before or since to keep his word accurate.

Also I'm sure it's just a coincidence that the faction that got it's way during the book burnings just happened to be the faction that supported / was supported by the Emperor?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.