[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do people think is the main motivation for building an empire.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2
File: map_rome_plan.gif (29 KB, 912x905) Image search: [Google]
map_rome_plan.gif
29 KB, 912x905
What do people think is the main motivation for building an empire.

Throughout the whole history of the human race, man has cooperated and conquered.

Clear motivations are:

>security of people
>wealth
>prestige

However to what degree does 'Prestige' or 'Imperium' influence a state or tribe to seek the means to colonise or build an empire.

Also to what degree does wealth come into it, yes it's very important and wealth was the reason more so as the seventeenth century endured, however wars are expensive and there's no guarantee of success.

Doing this topic for my dissertation at university. I'd be interested to hear all of your thoughts and opinions regarding this matter.
>>
File: 1455628730283.jpg (913 KB, 2400x1702) Image search: [Google]
1455628730283.jpg
913 KB, 2400x1702
OP here

I'll get the discussion rolling.

I think that after the Roman empire, a precedent was set that had spread across the known world, something to emulate and strive towards.

With the increase in naval technology, trade was increasingly profitable being able to exchange goods from places such as India in the seventeenth century.

Security of people whilst initially maybe, it greatly surpassed that. Britain in its efforts to maintain and expand their world-encompassing empire, had largely neglected it's citizens. Victorian London was rife with disease and unsanitary conditions, whilst the empire enjoyed it's most progressive era.
>>
Wealth. That's the story of every empire ever.

The elite get rich for a while, then eventually people fight back.
>>
>>1321931

What about Alexander the Great?
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.