[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Prove to me that gladiatorial "games" werent human
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: images-2.jpg (15 KB, 273x184) Image search: [Google]
images-2.jpg
15 KB, 273x184
Prove to me that gladiatorial "games" werent human sacrifices and were ethically superior to wicker men.
>>
>>1320948
The vast majority of gladiatorial games didn't end in death for the participants.
>>
>>1320948
They began as ceremonial slave duels to honour the dead in etruscan and early roman history. Perhaps in the etruscan culture they were actual human sacrifices, but when they became a business of entertainment the gladiators would rarely die. It was expensive to replace a slave so the fights were more controlled and less violent than what you see on tv.
>>
they didn't even try to kill each other. it wasn't even a real competition but scripted show comparable to modern day professional wrestling.
have you ever heard that meme how gladiators were fat so it would protect them from cuts and thought how retarded the idea was since you can easily stab through even the fattest fat?
that's because it's not about stopping the real cut intended to kill you but being able to take small fake cuts to spill a little blood without hurting yourself for real.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.