[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would be the best City desing for today?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 21
File: paris.png (3 MB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
paris.png
3 MB, 1200x800
Didn't knew where to put this, so here it is.
>>
>>1320387
What do you mean by "for today"?
>>
File: 1419778900186q.jpg (892 KB, 1164x1432) Image search: [Google]
1419778900186q.jpg
892 KB, 1164x1432
Dunno, but the worst one is clearly London
>>
File: Burgess.png (928 KB, 692x681) Image search: [Google]
Burgess.png
928 KB, 692x681
Read up on the Chicago School

Jane Jacobs - Death and Life of Great American Cities aka the sidewalk is important.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjEg7tChDrk

Oscar Newman - Defensible Space --> C. Ray Jeffrey: CPTED
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF_V2S6i30c

Clarke --> situational crime prevention
increase effort + increasing risk + reducing reward = less crime
http://www.popcenter.org/25techniques/
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLCHg9mUBag&feature=youtu.be
>>
File: 1813% done with this shit.png (290 KB, 754x554) Image search: [Google]
1813% done with this shit.png
290 KB, 754x554
>>1320407
Paris is so beautiful because the entire city was effectively designed by one man, Baron von Haussmann, in a renovation that literally rebuilt the entire city (barring certain "special" buildings like the Notre Dame and Université de Paris) from scratch in the most unique and modern style of the day. Everything in the city matches... save for the accursed Tour Montparnasse of course.

London is a clusterfuck because it's building generation upon generation. The London Bridge, Tower of London and that disgusting Dildo skyscraper are within walking distance of eachother. Each of the three styles would work for a city, but together they horribly mismatch. In terms of fashion, it's like wearing sneakers with a WW1 trenchcoat, a bowtie and a grenadier's bearskin cap.

But of course, that Spanish whore who now rules Paris wants to make it like London.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_Triangle
It's LITERALLY A FUCKING TRIANGLE. And it's already approved. First Montparnasse, then this, where will it end? Until Paris is just as disgusting and mongrelized as London? Post-modern vomit-inducing skyscrapers is what La Defense is for.
>>
>>1321729
Shame Paris is dirty as fuck. My Indian friend told me she found it extremely dirty and you know there're problems when a god damn Indian thinks that.
>>
>>1321794
Indians literally have human feces and rotting corpses in their streets m8
All Paris has is piss and dogshits
>>
>>>/hr/2576368

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-5aK0H05jk
>>
File: valls.jpg (437 KB, 2634x1686) Image search: [Google]
valls.jpg
437 KB, 2634x1686
>>1321729
>that Spanish whore who now rules Paris

Dude is there a single person in charge of something who isn't a spaniards in France?
>>
>>1322058

No the French can't rule over themselves so they imported Spaniards and Italians in past years. Arabs will be in charge soon
>>
File: paris+1850-page-001 (1).jpg (3 MB, 4961x3508) Image search: [Google]
paris+1850-page-001 (1).jpg
3 MB, 4961x3508
>>1321729
This is complete nonsense.

Haussmann built a few boulevards, like the boulevard Haussmann, avenue Foch and other streets at Etoile... On the West banks it's pretty much only boulevard Saint-Germain and rue de Rennes.

Pic related, Paris before Haussmann. As you can tell it's almost the same as today.
>>
>>1321729
London is actually a fascinating place if you put assburger aesthetics aside where everything has to look the same. This contrast where you may see a medieval church next to an Georgian public building, next to a 60s Brutalist office, next to a modern building is just amazing. Keep in mind, I used to hate London and consider it a toilet but I think that my perception of cities evolved in the meanwhile.

Haussmann didn't have just aesthetics in mind when he made Paris that way, the small winding streets of Paris where replaced with avenues that were wide enough for armies to march down and too wide for effective barricades to be built. He was also kinda corrupt in that he tipped off all of his mates to buy the prime bits of land to build the famous mega-stores of Paris (Galeries Lafayette etc). Haussman's Paris is undeniably pretty but its design was influenced by the politics of the time just as much as it was by aesthetics and for it to be built, a lot of medieval buildings and neighbourhoods that we would love to explore nowadays had to be torn down.
>>
>>1322138
The "destruction" caused by Haussmann is vastly overrated, see >>1322106

In the older parts of Paris, 17th and 18th century buildings are far more common than 19th century ones, and there are countless older ones, not to mention medieval churches and the occasional medieval townhouse. There isn't that much brutalism aside from the Soviet embassy, but frankly we can do without that shit.

A beautiful city shouldn't be boringly uniform, and Paris certainly isn't, but it also shouldn't be a nonsensical headache inducing mishmash of whatever.
>>
File: temple.jpg (69 KB, 700x320) Image search: [Google]
temple.jpg
69 KB, 700x320
>>1322106
Honestly I'm more sad about the destruction of several medieval monuments under the Revolution and Napoleon, like the Temple, the Bastille, or the Châtelet. The Temple for example was an entire medieval citadel, the former headquarters of the Knights Templar. It would have been really cool to have something like that in Paris, and it was reasonably out of the way so it didn't really bother anyone.

But I guess back then people didn't put any aesthetic or archaeological value on plain medieval fortresses yet.
>>
>>1322201
I agree with you on Haussmann, I just wanted to raise some points because people tend to idolise him a little too much. Paris certainly isn't boring although, for me, the Haussmann bits are a little repetitive despite being beautiful. London is by no means beautiful or pretty, but it is incredibly interesting and not at all boring.

P.S. France did Brutalism very well, probably better than any other country actually.
>>
>>1322261
Well, the whole idea of architectural conservation of the immediate past is incredibly recent. The only old architecture people used to value up until the 19th-20th century were ancient ruins and that's only because the classical world never lost its status in the eyes of Europe.

Why was the Temple torn down?
>>
File: 1461966532113.png (35 KB, 500x498) Image search: [Google]
1461966532113.png
35 KB, 500x498
>>1322103
>French can't rule themselves
>The guys who exported their Dynasties all over Europe
I want to remind you that both the Spanish and Swedish royal houses are of French descent.
>>
File: Continuous Vertical City.gif (105 KB, 600x447) Image search: [Google]
Continuous Vertical City.gif
105 KB, 600x447
http://www.evolo.us/competition/continuous-vertical-city/
>>
>>1322300
Stupidest reason ever.

When the royal family was arrested during the Revolution, they were kept prisoner at the Temple. Later Napoleon tore it down because he didn't want it to become a place of pilgrimage for royalists.
>>
>>1322261
Didn't the revolutionaries during the Paris Commune want to tear down the Notre Dame as well?
>>
>>1322330
Funnily enough, that's exactly the same idea behind how Hitler's bunker was demolished and replaced by a car-park.
>>
>>1322337
When the Versailles troops entered Paris for a week of street battles to take back the city block by block from the Communards, the Communards decided that they would rather destroy the city than lose it. So yes they tried to destroy just about everything. They only managed to destroy the City Hall and the Tuileries Palace though, along with a bunch of historical archives and such. They went as far as setting Notre Dame on fire, but it was put out by interns from the nearby Hôtel-Dieu hospital.
>>
File: 1461944586129s.jpg (11 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1461944586129s.jpg
11 KB, 250x250
>>1322353
>Destroying people's history permanently because their government won against you temporarily
Suppose they must have done some quite good things to not be seen as massive assholes today.
>>
>>1322337
>>1322353
BTW a more serious threat to Notre Dame was during the Revolution when Saint-Simon, who was a promoter among many other things, offered to buy it up to demolish it and use the stones to build social housing.
>>
>>1322416
That's at least a better reason than just being butthurt.
>>
>>1322353
>>1322416
Literally ISIS tier.
>>
>>1322399
They're mostly seen as massive assholes by non-leftists I think. And something like 30 000 of them were summarily executed during and after the retaking of Paris.

Another funny example, after the fall of Napoleon III, the painter Gustave Courbet petitioned the government to have the Vendôme column demolished. The Commune then went ahead and did it, because the column was a "symbol of barbary and militarism, a permanent insult from the victors to the vanquished" etc. After the Commune fell, the column was restored. But the Communards themselves were dead, so the new president made Gustave Courbet pay the 350 000 francs cost of rebuilding it.
>>
File: Vendome_Column_A.jpg (2 MB, 1508x4077) Image search: [Google]
Vendome_Column_A.jpg
2 MB, 1508x4077
>>1322459
The column btw.
>>
File: 1463907268029.jpg (460 KB, 1209x756) Image search: [Google]
1463907268029.jpg
460 KB, 1209x756
>>1322459
>>1322468
Care to tell how he reacted to that?
>>
>>1322343
Well, but it's a bunker, it's not there's much sightseeing
What happened to the Chancellery, though?
>>
>>1322444
Dint know why you expected any different from extreme leftists
>>
File: leonkrierindividualism.jpg (56 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
leonkrierindividualism.jpg
56 KB, 600x480
>>
File: leonkrierscale.jpg (40 KB, 600x432) Image search: [Google]
leonkrierscale.jpg
40 KB, 600x432
>>
>>1322835
>>1322837
Crier is like the exact inverse of Le Corbusier.
Excellent at urban planning, bad at architecture.
>>
File: absolutely_dymaxion.jpg (29 KB, 446x369) Image search: [Google]
absolutely_dymaxion.jpg
29 KB, 446x369
>>1322315
>>
File: images (1).jpg (5 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
5 KB, 259x194
>>1320387

Chicago has a bunch of multilevel streets downtown

And these aren't highways or things like that, but streets.

They've always seemed a very ferris buller (sp?) thing to me that not a lot of other cities seem to have

The dream of separating pedestrian and car traffic is a recurring idea, and maybe a bit utopian. The multilevel street hasnt done this in Chicago at least.

Brasilia's car heavy design also comes to mind as a failed attempt at a rounder wheel.
>>
File: Derry_and_Thompson.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Derry_and_Thompson.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
Build upwards instead of outwards, sprawl fucking sucks
>>
File: kafkaesquenightmare.jpg (151 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
kafkaesquenightmare.jpg
151 KB, 1024x1024
>>1323067
There is something aesthetic about Corbusier's buildings even though they remind me of le 60s tower blocks. I feel as though architecture was heading in the right direction then something terrible happened.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.