[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why didn't Romans invented hieroglyphs, while China didn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
Why didn't Romans invented hieroglyphs, while China didn't invented letters?
>>
>>1319989
Not all Chinese characters descended from pictographic representations of objects.
>>
>>1319989
Romans near got everything they had as a civilization from the Greeks. I can't think of anything originally theirs.
>>
>>1319989
Are you from a different country?
>>
>>1319989
The continued survival of Hanzi was largely due to the realization of the Ancient Chinese Empire that while you can't do anything bout people having different languages, you can do something about how they write.

Since it ruled a multicultural/lingual empire, It was in everyone's best interests to divorce the written language from the phonetic one, so that while the languages might be different, everyone could understand each other (particularly government officials) if they had one logographic language system.
>>
>>1320064
>divorce the written language from the spoken one.
>>
>>1320064
I don't really understand how this works. Does this mean that people speaking different Chinese dialects could write the same sentence with the same characters, even if the spoken version of those sentences were unintelligible? Would the same apply to people speaking completely different languages?
>>
>>1320071
>>1320064
i wouldn't say "divorce" really, but more just "maintain: a writing system that doesn't directly imply any one type of pronunciation
>>
>>1320125
basically, they can understand the written word even if they don't speak a language with the exact same grammar and only pronuncation differences.

Cantonese is a good example here. It uses Chinese characters, but does not have the same grammar as Mandarin. Also, Cantonese is mostly a spoken language, and is less often written. However, when it is written, some of the characters are completely different from the rest of the Chinese characters.

BUT when Cantonese speakers read Mandarin, they can understand based on the meanings. A sort of combined language comes out of Cantonese speakers reading Mandarin outloud with Cantonese pronunciation. It would obviously maintain the grammar. Hence, there are two different forms of Cantonese: one written, based off of Mandarin but with different pronuncation, and one unique. I don't think anyone who speaks just Mandarin would be able to understand more than the general idea of a Cantonese sentence written down.
>>
>>1320125
In a word: Yes. Hence LOGOgraphic, reliant on logos with corresponding meanings multiple cunts agree upon .

Though with some limitations, especially in scenarios where X language has a concept Y doesn't, which occurred often when Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Vietnamese diplomats communicated to each other via Chinkrunes they all know and understand.
>>
>>1320064
>>1320146
An opposite example would be the various slavic dialects that use different alphabets, but the words all generally mean the same thing.
>>
>>1320157
Yeah I did notice Serbivores use the "J"
>>
>>1320189
They use J instead of Я which was an adoption from Latin. Means the same thing though. Slovenian is another one. It uses the latin alphabet with stress modifiers, but can be read and understood by those who understand transliterated Russian. Almost all Slavic languages are the phonetically same outside of very little differences with the exception of Polish which adopts a lot of Germanic influence.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.