[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Spanish Grammar: Gente vs. Pueblo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ekfej_kmHQ

In this speech, Che Guevara refers to "independent peoples" as "pueblos independientes". Pueblo is obviously referring to people in this regard. However, I have always been taught that one should use "gente" in regards to specific groups, not "pueblo".

Che Guevara, being a native speaker, is probably correct in using "pueblo". Why is this though? What is the difference between "gente" and "pueblo"?
>>
>>1317572
Spanish native speaker here (not so good with English though so I'll try my best to explain myself).

If you say "gente independiente" it feels more like you're talking about a group of individuals who are (individually) independent.
However when you say "pueblo independiente", now you're bringing in the cultural thing. A group of people who are part of the same nation (and not just the same state) or share the same culture.
For example:
"En este barrio vive mucha gente gitana" -> "In this neighbourhood there live a lot of gypsy people"
"El pueblo gitano" -> "The gypsy people"
In the second sentence you're talking about the whole gypsy ethnicity, across all states.

You can say "¡Poder para la gente!" and also "¡Poder para el pueblo!" both meaning something like "Power to the people!".
"Gente" is ambiguous. Both the worker from a factory and a banker are "gente". But "pueblo" is more often used for the proletariat. That's why "gente" has been lately used in Spain by social democrat parties like Podemos, while "pueblo" has always been a term used by Communists and Anarchists.

By the way, "pueblo" can also mean just "village".

I hope I made myself clear, I'm not very good at explaining myself, let alone in English. If you have any other question ask away.
>>
>>1317572
Do you speak spanish, OP? The definitions in the RAE might be useful for you.
>>
The other anon more or less explained it well, but I'll try to do it myself too. They both are people but, like people, they both have different definitions.

"Gente" is basically just a bunch of individuals. It's a countless word that has no plural (normally) but it basically works as a plural of "person".

Pueblo is way more specific. El pueblo is "the people" as in the lower/working classes or in general the population of a place. You can say "el pueblo ha hablado" for example when there are elections or a referendum. You could say "la gente ha hablado" too, but you're not giving it the same importance.

Probably related to that, pueblo/s can also mean the people of a country. It's basically synonymous with country, nation or ethnicity. This is the meaning it has in this context of your sentence.

Also like the other anon said pueblo means small urban place, village or town.
>>
>>1317927
I started to watch the video and I found a very good example.

Aprox. in the first minute of the video he says "Saludamos pues [...] a los pueblos de Zambia, Malawi y Malta". The subtitles translate it as "We therefore greet [...] the peoples of Zambia, Malawi and Malta". But a better translation and more faithful to the original meaning in this specific context would be: "We therefore greet [...] the nations of Zambia, Malawi and Malta" although the normal translation for nations is of course naciones and not pueblos.
>>
>>1317572
>>1317878
>>1317927

As far as I understand it then, it's the difference in English between

'People'

And

'The People'?

So 'People must rise up' (gente)
vs.
'The People must rise up' (Pueblo)

Because I can see a difference there.
>>
>>1317995
I think you understood it.

But I don't think you should use "the" to give you the key or you'll get confused. Can't you say "the people of this country is very lazy"? It would be gente in this sentence.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.