[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who is the most significant individual of the 19th century?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: Marx_old.jpg (205 KB, 444x593) Image search: [Google]
Marx_old.jpg
205 KB, 444x593
Who is the most significant individual of the 19th century?
>>
Significant in what way?

Any?

If so, I'd say Napoleon Bonaparte.
>>
>>1317359
Hegel or Napoleon
But if you think about it, the starting and ending of centuries is completely arbitrary and that means that a person who was important in 1803 is far more influential than someone important in 1899.
>>
>>1317359
probably napoleon. honestly, I'd put lincoln forward, just because he held the states together. that sort of set the stage for US becoming a superpower. or maybe TR. I'd be interested in figures from other countries that did similar things.
>>
Bismarck
>>
>>1317359
Queen Victoria. Most of the century is named for her.
>>
Milton Hershey
>>
>>1317359
Lincoln.

Aside from being the most brutal war criminal since Genghis Khan, he crushed the spirit of freedom forever, heralding the mass industrialization of the West and the rise of authoritarianism in the 20th century.
>>
>>1318216
The Confederates were very, very authoritarian, and I'm not just talking about slavery.

Authoritarianism hardly arose in the 20th Century anyway, it was continually existed for thousands of years. What *did* rise in the 20th Century was totalitarianism, and that arose largely to fill the vacuum created by the deposition of monarchs.
>>
>>1318162
In the Anglosphere
>>
>>1318242
I can't think of one part of the Earth unaffected by Great Britain in the 19th century.
>>
>>1318276
Are you considering Queen Victoria as synonymous with Great Britain?
>>
>>1318278
In the 19th century? Absolutely. Are you not?
>>
>>1318280
In a way I do, but that is strictly because of monarchist sympathies.
>>
>>1318286
I'll take commonwealth nations for 200, Alex.

She was head of the commonwealth from 1837 to 1901.

Who was Queen Victoria?
>>
>>1318291
She was, but are saying most of the influence of Great Britain would not have occurred without her?
>>
>>1317359
Marx obviously.
>>
It's clearly Napoleon.
>>
Jesus
>>
Probably Charles Darwin, just as Isaac Newton, Antoine Lavoisier and Albert Einstein are the most significant people of their respective centuries.

People who pieced together the basics for branches of hard science have had by far the most significant impact on humanity in the long run of things. All of these political and military historical figures fall flat when they don't have the technology or understanding to implement their ideas.
>>
einstein
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.