[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Armchair generals, how would you have beaten Ramsays army as Jon Snow?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (152 KB, 1440x736) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
152 KB, 1440x736
Armchair generals, how would you have beaten Ramsays army as Jon Snow?
>>
>>1316175
Give wun wun shield, armor and sword
>>
>>1316175

He already had a great plan, he just shouldn't have bothered trying to save Rickon.
>>
Fuck off redditor your fucktards have already taken over /tv/
>>
>>1316205
Nigger
>>
>outnumbered at least 2:1
>is on the attacking side
>worse training and equipment

No way he could have won this one without some outside help. Jon was a retard for even thinking he had a chance tbqhf
>>
>>1316193
That was ok, he probably should have because his whole army was watching but he had plenty of time to return to his lines with his brother's body.
But his charging alone was full retard and would have thrown away his entire army if not for the magic knights arriving just in time.
>>
File: image.jpg (509 KB, 1280x3580) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
509 KB, 1280x3580
>>1316220
He didn't have to be on the attacking side though, he could have provoked Ramsay into attacking him and then retreated his infantry into the trees where the Bolton pikes would be a lot less useful since the phalanx would be broken up, their archers would be less effective and cav would have a harder time, also fucking arm wun-wun, just cut down a tree for him
>>
>>1316175
>Trenches
>Trenches
>[spoiler]TRENCHES[/spoiler]
Also order Wun Wun to get himself a fucking club.

NO

Also order him to collect large stones he can throw from the trenches.

Not get b8ed after sister's advice.
>>
>>1316175
>getting boxed in like retards
>not cutting off the spear heads
>not giving the giant a tree to use as a club
>somehow Ramsay knowing there'd be enough dead bodies to create the last part of the circle
>>
>>1316175

>no trenches
>no use of the forrest behind them
>doing jackshit about getting surrounded
>people die because Jon Snow is retarded, and charges into the Bolton army.
>Rickon never watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2_w-QCWpS0
>Sansa says fuck you Jon, i have you rather sacrifice men, then say you that i have the knight of the vale backing us.
(maybe because she doesn't trust Jon, and thinks that he may take Winterfell and the Title of Warden of da Norf for himself.)
>>
>>1316281
Jon says that they've dug trenches as well as employed caltrops, but he gets b8ed like an idiot even though Tormund even tells him to watch out
>>
>>1316175
Jesus, where to begin.

Arm the center with my weakest infantry, only a couple men deep. Arm my wings with average dudes, reinforced by veterans.

Divide my cavalry, put one half on each side. Have them hold off enemy cavalry without engaging for as long as possible, attacking and retreating to entice the enemy, eventually retreating to the rear.

By this time my center weak infantry should be loosing the fight, giving ground. My veterans should now be hitting them from the side. At this point my retreating cavalry should have the enemy cavalry behind my line, as the come in and crash my lines, my cavalry can pursue.

Their entire army should now be between my divided army should be hitting them from the right and left with them all trapped between, my cavalry is now in the middle creating chaos.

It would be a killing field. Most of you will recognize this is hannibal at cannae, except for the cavalry positioning.

This would be the smartest option with the given army, counting of Ramsey's willingness to attack.
>>
>>1316308
Actually Sansa not telling him about the knights is the only smart thing she's done.

If Jon knew about the reinforcements then he would've acted accordingly, Ramsay or Smalljon would have seen this and retreated back to Winterfell
>>
>>1316175
188 mm howitzers and 50 cal. machine gunners.
>>
> build one functioning Spitfire
> strafe the lines with machine gun fire
> army routed in terror
> fly to Essos
> Take out Dany's dragons
> Proclaim self air emperor of the world, but fighter and zeppelin fleet.
>>
>>1316319

if you watch he circle of pikes closely, the Bolton's could've easily turned the man on the outside to build a Pikewall.
hence making the charge useless.

And Jon would've went full retard anyway, because of Rickon
>>
>>1316175
wouldn't engage them.
I'd pull an Owen Glyndwr and let them kill themselves then strike when they are weak.
I'd send most of my men home and operate with a much smaller more mobile force and just harry them or outmove them.
In a land where food is scarce and winter is multiple years long, great armies can not be sustained in the field for very long.
The enemy will either send him men home or they will starve.
>>
File: 1459692156001.png (569 KB, 426x717) Image search: [Google]
1459692156001.png
569 KB, 426x717
>This GoT shit again
>>
>>1316313
Or Marathon happens and you get totally slaughtered....
The Athenians broke the Persian line and the Persians had them surrounded.
Fortunately the space was still narrow and the Athenians were able to maintain their formations and smash the Persian infantry.
>>
>>1316175
Why didn't Ramsay just keep shooting arrows until everyone was dead? Why did he order his troops to charge? Any realistic reason for it?
>>
Light
Them
On
Fire
>>
>>1316386

"He da ewil cis pig pyschopaht. He no use knaawledge lik me"

t. Feminist-Historian
>>
>>1316349

Good luck holding off a charge of armoured knights with just a single row of shields and spears.
>>
Jon is supposed to be some rugged, experienced commander and he offers battle with those shitty conditions? What the hell was he thinking? And then he gets baited to attack by his lonesome and thus jeopardizing his entire army because Bolton hurt his feely weelings. The action was great but the battle was just stupid as fuck together with the deus ex machina of the knights of the Vale appearing in the eleventh hour. It was like the writers went "oh shit guys, I totally forgot this guy needs to live, what do we do?"
"Ugh... I known! Send an entire army to help him just when he's about to die!"
>>1316331
Jon Snow had neither and that's such a boring answer. Like seriously is that what you consider to be humor? Did you honestly think anyone would find you funny?
>>
>>1316386
>>1316414
Realism has nothing to do with it, it's a TV show, it's all about the drama. Don't even pretend it tries to be realistic in its approach.
>>
>>1316414
>Jon is supposed to be some rugged, experienced commander

Not really. His only battle in command was against the wildings on the Wall.

I'm not sure how old he is supposed to be in the TV series but in the books he is still a teenager.
>>
>>1316411
The North had no knights.

They're famous for it.
>>
>>1316411

never said, that it would be ideal and all knights would've died. But it would be the only alternative, when you act this retarded with leaving the back of your army open, because you want to impale the main army
>>
>>1316425

he means the knights of the vale
>>
>>1316356
>This
If Jon really had no other support, his best chance would be to use logistics and outmaneuver the Bolton army.
Furthermore the houses of the north are hardly loyal. The second they see an up-and-coming Stark general beating the Bolton force in a war of attrition, they will surely fall behind his cause.
>>
>>1316425
Manderlys
>>
>>1316425
they have mounted men, the dudes that swarmed stannis in the millions
>>
>>1316414
>Not seeing the set-up for the Vale charge.
Your autism is showing, anon.
If you're going to thrash the show, at least have some understanding of the plot and characters.
Littlefinger's army was en route to Winterfell since the 6th(?) episode after he basically manipulated Robin. If you couldn't see the Vale cavalry charge coming from two episodes away I'm sorry that you have a shallow understanding of the plot and its details.
A better argument would have attacked the simplicity of Baelish's argument to use the Vale's army.
>>
>>1316414
I found it funny you autist.
>>
>>1316425

Apart from being irrelevant to what I said, like he said >>1316432 that's not even true. At all.

If you're being pedantic the Manderleys and some others worship the seven so become official knights and the houses that don't still have armoured cavalry that are equivalent to knights in battle.
>>
>>1316418
I appreciate that it is fantasy, but it should still be realistic within its realms. It takes something out of the suspension, I literally sat there wondering when and how he'd get saved, it ruins the immersion. Its just lazy writing.

>>1316424
He was brought up to be a warrior at the court of Winterfell. He was Lord Commander of the Night's Watch which is no small feat. He commanded forces defending the wall, on raids north of the Wall and fought the ice dudes. After that he commanded an army in the field in the Bolton campaign. Yet every decision he made up to and in the battle itself was pants on head retarded.
>>
>>1316456
I'm sorry to hear that.
>>
His forces lacked both training and numbers for pitched battle.
Most of his forces were ill equipped and ill disciplined wildlings. He lacks in mobility too, few horses.
Someone mentioned fighting them in the forest, they'd still destroy them. Better training and better armor.
What's funny is that this show literally makes that point several times, armor is important as fuck.
So his only realistic options were guerilla warfare or surprise attack. Surprise attack is not possible because their opponents are in a castle.
But yeah, it's just a fucking show. Great scenes but terribly unrealistic except in final outcome (they got totally destroyed and were saved by another army).
>>
>>1316466
>He was brought up to be a warrior at the court of Winterfell.

No different to the upbringing of hundreds of other nobles.

>He was Lord Commander of the Night's Watch

For a brief time.

>He commanded forces defending the wall

One battle.

>on raids north of the Wall

He was commander in one minor skirmish.

>fought the ice dudes.

He wasn't in command. He was just part of a small number that escaped the surprise massacre.

>After that he commanded an army in the field in the Bolton campaign.

What "campaign"? That was literally the first battle of it.
>>
>>1316479
>No different to the upbringing of hundreds of other nobles.

Your point being?

I get that you like the show and try to defend it but seriously, he has all that experience and people actually rally to him on account of being a great leader and yet he does all those decision he made?
>>
>>1316175
The battle couldn't have been won. Jon Snows army would have been ravaged by desertions as soon as they found out what his plan was even before drawing battle lines.
>>
>>1316498
>Your point being?

That he wasn't an experienced battle commander, obviously. He's barely past being a child, that's the point.
>>
>>1316309
Tormund, who doesn't even know what flanking is has a better tactical mind than Jon.

That says a lot.
>>
>>1316519
He would have been schooled in all things military. Starks were considered great warriors, no? Or did they purposefully neglect his education? That would justify his decision-making.
>>
The part were they surrounded the Stark army and did that walk-walk, stab-stab thing was the stupidest fucking thing I've seen on TV in years.
>>
>kill the boy and let the man be born

Really now Jon, did you regress from dying?
>>
>>1316544

You appear to having moved from "experienced battle commander" to being "well educated".

If the point made here >>1316414
had been "Jon Snow was well edcuated", which was what sparked this discussion I wouldn't have disputed it too start with.
>>
>>1316175
show up with half your actual numbers and no giant, then charge from the side with the rest when they stupidly fight outside of their walls
find wun wun one of those hugeass bows, shoot ramsay when he shows up
send riders other than his own fucking self to save rickon
have someone pretend to desert then just assassinate ramsay's bitch ass since he has no successors and no one likes him
raid whatever it is that produces foodstuffs in these lands so you get to pick your battlefield
get melly to solve everything with magic
>>
>>1316544
Maybe If mean they were great soldiers, idk, if I can remember correctly northerns always fought side by side and have the terrain advantage so probably most of recorded war was, It's fucking cold up here man they aren't gonna beat us man or whatever, you know like Russia and his fucking cold strategy against Hitler and Napoleon.
I'm pretty sure Ned was under the command of Robert during his war and Robb fucking die because of love so maybe not
>>
>>1316175
Twenty good men
>>
>>1316302
Bodies or not, the remainder of his forces were there to cut off the escape
>>
There really weren't enough present for the corpse mountain they had. Ramsay was so incompetent he shot his own men with arrows. Rickon apparently never learned how to serpentine and ran in a straight line like a dipshit. Jon refused to choose a battlefield that didn't play to the cab strength of the Boltons who somehow have more mounted troops than the kingdom of England in 1400 despite being in a barren tundra. Jon went and did everything Sansa told him not to fucking do.
>>
>>1316175
Send a couple of other riders to rescue his brother, not his own ass, especially when his own sis was "Yo, dog boy over here is a sadistic dick that likes to screw with people and lays psych traps to swing the battlefield in his favour"
>>1316553
walk-walk, stab-stab thing was actually pretty good, logistically speaking.
>>
>order Lyanna Mormont to take off all the doors from her castle
>order as much chain and nails as possible
>cover Wun Wun in castle doors, give him the biggest one as a shield
>give him a log to swing around too
>let the Bolton loyalists approach, keep Wun Wun hidden in the trees
>release him when the Boltons get close, order everyone to charge together
>Bolton phalanx doesn't work against giant
>Bolton cavalry can't flank

Not sure what to do against those Bolton archers though except give everyone shields.
>>
File: Stick to the plan.png (54 KB, 800x900) Image search: [Google]
Stick to the plan.png
54 KB, 800x900
>>1316242
Which was the plan... Along with some trenches for flanking defense. More or less the Hannibal maneuver.

>"Stick to the plan! Stick to the plan!"

Some guerrilla tactics woulda helped - seems what the Free Folk were made for. Then again, they spend a lot of time fighting undead, and guerrilla tactics probably don't work as well against undead.
>>
>>1316175
Find 20 good men
>>
March on Last Hearth (seat of the Umbers). Lord Umber would demand that Ramsey help him protect his home. Then I would ambush the relief force, destroying a significant number of the Bolton troops. I would then march from castle to castle telling the men to either support me or die. Ramsey would have to attack me, or sit on his ass while I grew stronger and stronger.
>>
make several long clubs for giant
make giant bow/slingshot/whatever for giant
gather as much missile ammunition for giant as possible
make thick wooden armor for giant
have giant shoot at the enemy formations from outside their range
have giant kill 5 men with every swing when they inevitably enter melee
have giant make the enemy shit their pants and surrender
have giant walk into winterfell and crumple ramsey into a little ball
shower giant with rewards when I'm lord of winterfell

seriously it's a fucking giant he could beat zombie clegane while naked
>>
Pull a cannae
>>
>>1316433
This world had no Fabian tactics imo
>>
>>1316479
Fucking this. I remember there being a line where Ramsay says something to the effect of "you have a reputation for being a great swordsmen, so I'm not dueling you."

Where did that come from? The most impressing feat of swordsmanship Jon ever demonstrates is beating the half hand, who lost on purpose. Past that, he beats up recruits. In the book you can add that he beat Iron Emmett and gets his ass kicked by Mance Rayder. And all this happened at or beyond the wall, so who's heard about it.

The whole point of Jon's story is that he's slightly better than average, if not down right mediocre, and gets plunged into extraordinary circumstances.
>>
File: 1440141515371.png (68 KB, 486x494) Image search: [Google]
1440141515371.png
68 KB, 486x494
>>1316356
>Owain Glyndwr.

m-muh nigga.
>>
>>1316188
I was thinking this the whole time. Jon definitely did not utilize having a giant to the full potential. Just give him a big wooden shield (he can take plenty of arrows too) and have him trample the Bolton army.

>>1316302
>not cutting off the spear heads
That pissed me off too.
>>
>>1316313
....so your plan is to get your army split in two, AND get flanked AT THE SAME TIME?

> Most of you will recognize this is hannibal at cannae, except for the cavalry positioning.
No, because that isn't what hannibal did.
>>
>>1316175
When I'm told there is nothing I can do to save rickon I listen. When I am told Ramsey will use rickon to make me fuck up I listen.

I wait patiently behind the lines whilst Ramsey gets more and more annoyed until he commits his forces to a charge. Use the wildlings as a vanguard and the actual soldiers on the wings. Let the wildlings get pushed back, double envelope the fucker and get wun wun to belly flop them.
>>
>>1318017
Fy nigar
>>
Wun Wun was a fucking giant, just give him a giant club and some actual iron armor and nothing short of a catapult or ballista could kill him.
>>
>>1318029
>>1316302
>cutting off the spear heads

you know that wood is resonably hard to cut through right? especially when there is a guy trying to stab you with it. It would probably take less time and effort to force the spear to the ground and stamp on it in order to break it that trying to hack away at a stick until it maybe broke
>>
>>1316175
by being the main character god fucking damnit

I'm even surprised he wasnt saved by Bran that brought dragoons back from the future desu
>>
Traps, traps everywhere.

Maybe a Shimazu style feigned retreat.
>>
>>1319935
Diolch, ffrind
<3
>>
>>1318017
Sometimes I have dreams where Owain engaged the English and overtook them.
Then I wake up and cry a bit, then go back to sleep.
>>
>>1316553

That is like the essense of spear warfare

In my opinion the battle scene really showed how gruesome and frightening medievil warfare was. Who could stand against phalanx?

As for the thread

> Arms, armour and tactics for the giant
> Bowmen on flank instead of behind lines
> Red Witch to be witchy and burn them
> Keep reserves to flank infantry after contact
>>
Is this show as good as everyone claims? Every time I watch any bit of it, it's just overly dramatic as all hell. It tries to go for political intrigue but it seems as if it's tying itself into knots by having ten million characters that all have their super special schemes that get fucked up because someone dies and they have to start scheming again. It seems so tiresome.
>>
>>1317378
Still, Jon threw away a perfectly good defensive opportunity.
>>
>>1322694
It's not for everyone.
>>
File: latest[1].png (85 KB, 245x308) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
85 KB, 245x308
How would you utilize this qt?
>>
>>1322717
Fair enough. I read the books back when they were actually being published but lost interest after Dance was a shit-fest and no resolution is in sight to the books. i'll just stay clear of it I guess since I find it so boring.
>>
>>1322694

You need to start from episode 1 in the first season and watch a couple of episodes, it works much better when you see it like you would read a book.

But yeah, like the other anon said, it's not for everyone
>>
File: bchurro.jpg (214 KB, 500x470) Image search: [Google]
bchurro.jpg
214 KB, 500x470
If I remember rite, there was a wood just behind the Jons army right?? So just what we have to do is feint the Ramsay army to the wood and then its done, atleast its cavalry.

Ok lets supose that doesnt work. Then what we have to do is to wait Ramsay army: If cav comes first, open the formation and let them go forth to the wood, then kill them with javelins.
If Ramsay is clever and moves all the army along, just back the fuck up to the wood or some natural protection and pray, because and inferior and bad trained/equiped army cannot win in almost all problabiliies.
>>
>>1322704
He lost the mental battle.

Sansa had to sell herself to little finger.
>>
>>1316175

Tell Davos not to fuck up. Honestly, what kind of an idiot just leaves zero reserves and charges with his entire force? If he just stood where he was the Bolton phalanx wouldn't have been able to surround Stark forces.

Anyway, there was zero point in making the infantry charge towards the cavalry battle. They should have been split in two. Stark cavalry should have retreated towards between them. If the Bolton cavalry followed, they would have ended up getting pincered; if they didn't, the archers would have done some damage to them whilst they were pursuing and retreating or standing in the middle of the battlefield.

Just repeat until your cavalry charges aren't countered by enemy cavalry anymore, and by now enemy cavalry should be exhausted anyway. Have your infantry charge against the phalanx, then use your now superior cavalry to flank the phalanx. And give the giant a fucking bow or something, holy shit. Cut a tree down at least and make him use it as a club. He would fucking terrify enemy horses and make sure your cavalry defeats enemy cavalry.

Your infantry and casualty have heavy casualties; enemy phalanx and cavalry are now mostly gone. Have the giant and your remaining cavalry ride right over Umber infantry, and your archers should fuck their shit up too.
>>
>>1316188

Fuck that.

Give him a bow and use him as a moving ballista.
>>
>>1316205
/tv/ and /v/ are reddit boards desu.
>>
>>1318029
Cutting off spear heads is practically impossible unless the other guy embeds the spear in the ground and lets you get a few good chops at it with an axe. War spears are thick, and cutting through a thick piece of wood with a flimsy sword while having a guy try to stick you with it just isn't happening.
>>
>>1316193
Let's just blame it all on Sansa. Dumb cunt.
>>
Now that I've actually read the books I have to say the show seems disappointing in comparison.
>>
>>1316515
nah, he asked those people to die for him when he recruited them. To the wildlings he said basically "You win or die with me, or you die within a few months, guaranteed."
>>
Build a ww1 style trench, have infantry stand in front of it

When Ramsay charges, retreat across the trench in the last moment. This will waste their lances.
>>
>>1318029
The giant doesn't work like a human. His caloric cost would be that of 15 men, and he can be taken down by three spearmen. In order to give him actual arrow resistance, he'd need enough metal to make several hundred swords.
>>
>>1316564
>have someone pretend to desert
>try to play mindgames on Ramsay Bolton
that guy would just be flayed
>>
>>1322733
Old guy:
>Nah man I'm retreati--

Little girl:
>Fuck you just say to me, bitch?

>Well no I wasn't really talking to you specifically just thinking out lou--
>You /dare/ to think in my presence?
>Actually I rather think thinking has its meri--
>Look at me! A little girl flying into battle, and all you can do is cry.

Her advisor:
>*thumbs up*

>I'll impale everyone who can't at least charge like a little girl!
>>
>this thread is two days old
>>
>>1324451
>Honestly, what kind of an idiot just leaves zero reserves and charges with his entire force? If he just stood where he was the Bolton phalanx wouldn't have been able to surround Stark forces.
Had he done that, it wouldn't have needed to. The forward force was going to get slaughtered entirely without reinforcements.

>Stark cavalry should have retreated towards between them. If the Bolton cavalry followed, they would have ended up getting pincered

They'd have been fucking mauled if they'd tried to break off. They're up against people who are just as fast, far more numerous, and their formation was gone. Cavalry isn't capable of just escaping from every fight ever like it does in total war.

Cavalry that engages other cavalry, gets broken up, and runs, leaves the battle.
>>
>>1316449
If John showed up with both the Wildlings and Vale knights, why couldn't Ramsey just stay in Winterfell?
>>
>>1316313
Jon's army lacks two key components of Cannae however. Jon has no organized spears or pikes to place on his flanks, and his wildling forces are too dissimilar to the gauls and spaniards Hannibal placed in the center.

The wilding forces are competent at large group charges, not so much at holding a center and ceding ground slowly. The Gauls and Spaniards on the other hand had been drilled and trained to perform this function, and additionally they had shields. something the wildlings lack.

Overall, I don't think Cannae would be a good template for Jon's battle plans, but I'm struggling to think of an alternative.
>>
>>1327568
he could, but the giant would fuck a hole in his door.
Ramsay didn't prepare in any way for a giant kicking in the gates because he didn't know Jon had one.
>>
>>1316188

holy shit was Wun Wun the jobbiest giant to ever live?

>doesn't bother getting a weapon, not even a tree trunk or something
>looks like a bitch for 90% of battle
>grabs 2-3 Bolton soldiers and kills them, breaks a huge gap in the line
>immediately goes back to timid swiping at spears, lets them close up again
>gets killed by one arrow
>>
>>1316220

he knows that though but he's like fuck it fight anyway because he had literally nothing else going for him
>>
Wunwun could've broken off the Phalanx formation by taking some fucking corpses around him and throwing it at them
>>
>>1322679
>phalanx
>medieval warfare
>>
>>1328071
To be faire in Game of Thrones...they were dwindling.

Now we know why.
>>
>>1316302
>>1318029
You cannot cut spears that easily...
>>
>>1322679
>Red Witch to be witchy and burn them
Sue doesn't have that power. And even for a shadow baby they'd need kings blood and the shadow still would only kill one person.
>>
>>1316175
By using the same sort of staggered line formation that Epaminondas used to pull off a stunning upset over the Spartans at the Battle of Leuctra under similar conditions as Jon Snow: badly outnumbered by an army way more bad ass and organized than yours. Similar tactics were deployed in similar conditions by Alexander the Great and Frederick II to great effect.

The idea is to use an echelon formation to put an inordinate amount of pressure on the right flank without drawing the bulk of the enemy's forces into the melee. Archers and cavalry screen the staggered units while your massed infantry bum rush the right flank in an attempt to crumble it early and throw the enemy army into disarray before most of its troops can be brought to bear.

Wun Wun would have been the tip of the spear. Cut down a tree and trim down the trunk so that he can swing it comfortably, with the branches and everything still attached, because his job wouldn't necessarily be to cause a lot of casualties (though it certainly helps) his job would be to function as the single greatest line breaker of all time: using huge sweeping strikes to blow open a gaping hole in the enemy line that my own infantry can swarm into and throw the entire formation into chaos, hopefully breaking their morale and causing a chain reaction that would cause the rest of the Bolton army to break and flee, leaving them sitting ducks to be cut down and slaughtered by Littlefinger's reinforcing knights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Leuctra
>>
>>1316175
Kill him on the beforebattle meeting. Surprise attack castle with entire army (that "gates" is a joke)
>>
>>1316175
Give the Giant a weapon and shield.
Make Ramsay come to me
Accept the fact that even though i may have the fiercer fighters, i just do not have the equipment and manpower to dislodge Ramsay, so I would do some damage to his cavalry since head to head Jon's forces won that engagement, but then i would retreat.
Ramsay probably would not be stupid enough to stray too far from winterfell, but if he was then that leaves open the possibility of battle of hastings style cavalry charge from the side.
I would accept the fact that i can deal a huge blow to the Bolton troops morale by simply not being defeated and having a fucking giant tear through their soldiers when they attack.
basically the opposite of what Jon did
>>
>>1316175
I would be Sansa and i would not be a fucking dolt and tell Jon that i sent a letter to a man obsessed with validating his love for my mother who also is very eager to assist me reclaiming my home with an army of very well armed and very numerous soldiers.
Sansa was so fucking stupid. She comes in looking all triumphant like she saved the day, when the only reason they were in peril in the first place is because she initially refused Littlefingers help, AND for some fucking reason decided to not tell Jon about the possibility of reinforcements arriving the next day.
>>
>>1316175
can any experts on medieval warfare comment on the realism of the body piles?
Im aware they piled up since that seems natural, and i know that the director was inspired by reports of civil war battlefields having piles of corpses, but how does it happen?
You're seriously expecting me to believe that soldiers just stood on corpses killing eachother, and then instead of just standing somewhere else on the open field opposing soldiers climbed up on increasingly high body piles to fight eachother to the point where it stacks as high as a fucking wall?
>>
>>1316302
not enough zweihanders among the wildlings to cut the pikes apart
>>
>>1316175
Taken the offer from Stannis and rallying northern houses to his cause.
>>
>>1322679
Yeah no

Having one cunt with a spear and one cunt with a shield is beyond retarded.
>>
>>1330421
>Im aware they piled up since that seems natural

no

It's very much not natural, and that would never have happened.
>>
>>1316193
I think it was implied that Ramsay killed Rickon because he was sure it would goad Jon and his army into a bad situation. Otherwise, he was just ready to go back to the castle for a siege
>>
>>1316175
Why are there two lines of infantry followed by horses?
>>
Why would Ramsay go into the castle when it's obvious Wun Wun could smash the gate so easily?
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=avtHpJyYYkQ
>>
>>1324688
>>1320132
>cutting off the spear heads
Tormund and I think some other wildlings actually did that a few times, but yeah, it was not the most practical method.
I think the main problem was that the troops had simply never encountered a shield wall and they were too horrified by the situation to act logically.
>>
>>1331174
He had spare archers in castle who could protect him.
and they killed wun wun thanks to that.
don't forget that
>>
>>1331100
Rickon was also killed becuase he was the only unquestionable stark with ability to claim anything

jon is known bastard, sansa is a woman and was married, bran is presumed dead by everyone/is crippled, and arya is a girl and out of the picture... rickon is a threat to ramsey becuase he is the best claimant the starks have to the castle and the house and ramsey cant let him live
>>
>>1331383
>they were too horrified by the situation to act logically.
Nobody acted logically. This is Game of Shirtless Twenty Saul Goodmen, where soldiers panick when the enemy uses a shieldwall but stand firm against a giant.
>>
>JON
>JON LISTEN TO ME I KNOW MORE THAN YOU!
>JON DONT ASK ME I DONT KNOW OKAY?
>GOD JON YOU IDIOT DON'T DO THAT
>JON THEY HAVE RICKON!
>JON DON'T SAVE RICKON RICKON IS DEAD!
>>
>>1331492
TV is so good at creating strong intelligent female characters.
>>
>>1316188
Wun wun log has to be a new meme

I bet my ass they considered it tho animating that shit (the flying soldiers) would have been as expensive as the battle itself
>>
>>1317329
That's what Robb (PBUH) would have done.
>>
>>1328193
What are swiss pikemen
What are spanish tercios
What are fucking french spikescythethings
>>
>>1331620
>What are fucking french spikescythethings
What are they indeed?
>>
>>1331633
Found it. Aparently its called voulge
>>
>>1322694
It went from a solid adaptation of a very complex story that created a special tv viewing experience that sparked a pop culture phenomenon to a generic melodrama with swords.
In its earlier seasons it resembled Rome and the Sopranos, now its more like Once Upon a Time or Pretty Little Liars.
Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.