[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Segmented sleep
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: spoopy.png (587 KB, 819x1955) Image search: [Google]
spoopy.png
587 KB, 819x1955
Thoughts on this? This guy claims that all of humanity, all over the world, slept in two four-hour increments with a break in between the two up until the industrial revolution, and that everyone forgot it ever existed after that.
>>
In my own experience this is true. In fact I give myself about 10 hours of sleep these days so that after I wake up for the first time I can grab a snack and read a book before settling back in.

But yeah that's all I got s-sorry
>>
>>1314397
Results?
>>
>>1314404
It's a hell of a lot better than when I was in high school. Where I would just lay in bed for an hour or two and get less sleep overall. Plus I really enjoy the solitude late at night.
>>
Interesting idea, I'm curious how it came about to apparently be so standard, though.

I normally don't wake up naturally halfway through the night, so I'd need to set an alarm. I'm sure given enough time it'd become habitual and I'd wake up anyway, but it doesn't strike me as a natural thing, and I wonder why they did it without any tools to rouse them from sleep.
>>
>>1314408
How long did it take you to get used to it?
>>
>>1314425
That's just my natural rhythm. Ever since I was a kid I would wake up 4 or 5 hours in and only be able to fall back asleep an hour or so later.

If you do actually sleep the whole 8 hours there's probably no point in trying to get used to this.
>>
>>1314387

This seems as retarded as that "bicameral mind" meme people were shilling a while back. If this was so universal, why is there no society on Earth where this is still practiced? Not a single tribe in Africa or India maintained this "natural" cycle? No rural people anywhere in the West kept this pattern, they just dumbly copied the urban people even tho they would have literally no reason to do so?
>>
>>1314460
How do tribes in Africa and India sleep? How do you know some of them don't do that still.
>>
>>1314680
>How do you know some of them don't do that still.

Because if they did, the idiot who wrote OP would have cited one of them to support his case.
>>
>>1314694
Fair point.
>>
>>1314694
He cited one
>>
>>1314387

An old Irish man told me about this, he was very educated and spent the first half of his life in a village.

He said everyone got up at night to care for the animals, have a snack, use the bathroom etc, then slept again before morning. Said it was mostly related to shepherding.

He was surprised Americans slept through the night when he came over.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.