[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The effects of the fall of modern empires/nations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: soviet_burnt-460x230.jpg (26 KB, 460x230) Image search: [Google]
soviet_burnt-460x230.jpg
26 KB, 460x230
Are there any good studies/ observations regarding the affects of a fallen/ defeated nation or emoire primarily focused on how it affects the people within that nation, especially in modern times? For example, looking at how the confederate's defeat is handled in the southern states or how the new generation of Russians look at the Soviet Union.
>>
>>1313125
There's a great book called The Collapse of Complex Societies, by Joseph Tainter. It focuses mostly on the technical/economic aspects of civilisational collapse, but illustrates its point with plenty of historical examples that might tangentially answer your questions.

To sum it up, after the initial period of chaos and painful readjustment, things for the average Joe get surprisingly better than they were before the collapse.
>>
The Decline of the West
>>
>>1313147
This anon is right. Once society collapses things are usually bad for a few decades, but once things calm down some the quality of life improves greatly.
>>
>>1313125
I would imagine the most recent thing you could study is post WWII Japan, since that sent their entire culture reeling basically turning them into parody of what used to be. Sorry I can't link anything specific.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.