[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's 1800
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
You have to choose to join the Democratic-Republicans or the Federalists.

Which one do you choose?

Bonus Points: Which one aligns with modern day Republicans and which one aligns with modern day Democrats?
>>
>>1312393
>Bonus Points: Which one aligns with modern day Republicans and which one aligns with modern day Democrats?
Why the fuck do Americans always try to shoehorn everything into their retarded political system where not even red is left wing.
>>
>>1312393
Democratic-Republicans, Hamilton was a shit

>Bonus Points: Which one aligns with modern day Republicans and which one aligns with modern day Democrats?

That's easy, the Democratic-Republicans align with modern Republicans and the Federalists with Democrats. Not that they're actually similar but hey you asked the question.
>>
>>1312393
Pretty sure this pic is a French Revolutionary Cockade

Why can't Americans invent their own symbols?
>>
>>1312410
>>1312421
Why can't the UK win a war against a crippled state which is still recovering from a war in which it was destroyed and bankrupted only twenty years prior without the help of TWO world superpowers?
>>
>>1312524
Whoops meant >>1312497 not >>1312421
>>
File: 722px-Federalist_Cockade.svg.png (86 KB, 722x722) Image search: [Google]
722px-Federalist_Cockade.svg.png
86 KB, 722x722
Federalists for sure.

Neither of them align with modern day parties. You could say some Republicans and Libertarians have similarities with both, but that's about it. Ideologies have changed too much since then.
>>
>>1312393
I join the Democratic-Republicans, resign from being a Democrat-Republican, and fuck off to what is now Minnesota to be a fur trapper.
>>
>>1312393
Democratic Republicans could've meant death for The United States.
>muh sovereign states
>loose confederation of states > federalist government = profit
>FUCK THE NATION VIRGINIAN PRIDE
Their ideals basically set up the stage for the Civil War. Set the tone for sectionalism, sectionalism set the back drop for the civil war.
Articles of Confederation (largely democratic republican) almost fucked up the nation because it could not enforce tariffs, laws, or legislation on states. Basically states could do whatever the fuck they wanted and would've caused the US to fall intro disarray. Democratic Republicans led to faggots like Henry Clay who thought that slavery was a good thing and that state rights triumphed over federal. Nullification Crisis in SC basically lead to more hostility between the North and the South all because of the battle between sectionalism and federalism.
>>
>>1314150
Loose collection of states that squabbled over everything. This is what democratic republicans wanted. Nothing would get done, the economy would be shit, and the US would be more vulnerable than ever before.
>>
>>1314150

What is the purpose of States if not State's Rights?
>>
>>1314150
>>1314156
>muh unity
>muh powerful mighty country

Fuck off feds
Liberty > unity
>>
>>1314158
If state rights are not limited than what's the point of a unified country?
>>
>>1314164
The United States wouldn't even exist if idiot sensationalists actually got what they wanted. Squabbling nation states arguing over stupid shit while European are fucking them from behind.
>>
Federalists: Hobbesian

DemRep: Lockean
>>
>>1314174
>implying a country should exist if its people don't want it to exist
>>
>>1314188
"People" = unwashed southern yokels who fuck their cousins and smoke pig shit. I'm sure they'll handle running a country just well.
George Washington was a federalist, he knew that he needed to make compromises and that a strong unified federal government was more than necessary during one of the most chaotic times in American History. Whiskey Rebellion shows his willingness to demonstrate the power of the Federal gov. Abe Lincoln wanted to keep the country together. Founding father were mostly federalist. The Constitution is a mostly federalist paper. Federalists are not looking to impeach the rights of its citizens but want a unified country. A unified government can give citizens their rights and more.
>>
>>1314188
War of 1812? National pride was higher than before. National anthem came from the period of DRs and Feds. Most people upheld the virtues of a federal government.
>>
I'm a Democrat a.k.a. people who were originally Republicans so I'm going with Federalists. Slavers and rednecks can suck my dick.
>>
>>1314218
>"People" = unwashed southern yokels who fuck their cousins and smoke pig shit
So the people should not run the government, because the government knows what's best for its people?
That's not very American. It doesn't matter how stupid the people are, they deserve to run their own country.

>A unified government can give citizens their rights and more
A government can't give its people rights, only privileges. The only rights are those which are enforced by the people themselves, they don't come from any other power.

>>1314227
>war increases national pride
Who would've guessed?
>>
>>1314237
There's something called checks and balances. The government listens to its people, bills get passed into congress, and legislation is made to uphold the people's will. The executive government still listens to the legislative. If a problem comes up with the people, the government solves it. Without a strong effective government what's the point of a nation? Federalists aren't a big brother type of people they just believe in a stronger and more effective government. The US is organized to appease both state and federal rights. Do you think people would get what they wanted with a loose collection of states? Again, the Articles of Confederation had this problem and the founding fathers corrected it.
>>
>>1314237
If the people can enforce their own will than its no longed a government. The Social Contract my nigga.
>>
>>1314170

The state represents the people, the federation represents the states.

Why don't we just let the UN run everything, just give up our sovereignty and let a world wide representative democracy govern us?

Its not a rhetorical question. Its because people that are not similar to you will have say in how you live your life. This is the same problem with the loss of state's rights.
>>
>>1314265

>New
>York
>Values
>>
>>1314265
Because the UN is not supposed to be an organization that runs the world. Its an American backed organization that comes to solutions between nations. For your point you should've used the EU.
>>
>>1314265
Nobody said states shouldn't exist
, only that their autonomy have limits.
>>
>>1314275

The Federal Gov is not supposed to be an organization that runs the country. Its a British backed organization that comes to solutions between states.
>>
>>1314265
>>1314258
People still have say in federal governments. Just look around you. US government is designed to listen to their people. House Of Representatives? Bills? Supreme Court rulings? Senate? The US is a representative democracy. People choose their representatives into government offices so that their will can be enforced. The problem is the corruption that comes with it.
>>
>>1314307
"British backed". Federalists had sympathy for Britain but they were never British backed. Why do you think we fought two wars with them? The UN was just a counterexample to your point about it running the world because its not. The Federal Government is something that runs a nation, the UN is a organization of countries that seek solutions and settles them peacefully.
>>
I think i might cast my vote for that Adams fellow
He seems really convinced of his men's ability to secure peace with France, and wouldn't that be absolutely fantastical if they actually did?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.