[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does 'progress' mean to you?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: 1earth13.gif (952 KB, 330x238) Image search: [Google]
1earth13.gif
952 KB, 330x238
What does 'progress' mean to you?
>>
Technological advancement, increased military efficiency, cultural domination and increased output of the arts, greater ownership of assets and resources.

In essence, how it works in Civilization games.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (101 KB, 1440x805) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
101 KB, 1440x805
n+g

t. econ master race
>>
Another dead nigger
>>
>>1311791

Birth from anal sex.
>>
>>1311791
Nothing. All change is progress of some sort.
>>
>>1311791

my quality of life becomes better and I can do more things
>>
>>1311791
Technological improvement and people not killing each other as much.
>>
>>1311791
Superstitious nonsense.
>>
>>1311791
A linear time line.
>>
>>1311791
Progress is a myth
>>
>believing in grand meta narratives
>>
>>1311791
two dead niggers
>>
'spook'
>>
File: 345467756654343.png (751 KB, 746x720) Image search: [Google]
345467756654343.png
751 KB, 746x720
>>1311791
Shitposting on a Cantoneese Wack-a-mole forum through a web of interconnected devices to another tribe across the sea and discussing our waifu's
>>
The number of social policies I've unlocked.
>>
File: pareto.jpg (241 KB, 626x787) Image search: [Google]
pareto.jpg
241 KB, 626x787
Anything that benefits the political interests of the intelligentsia as a caste.
>>
If my most pressing problems go from being starvation and war, to gay rights and gender orientation.
>>
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/problem-of-many/
>>
>>1311791
"progress" is a bar that reads from 0 to 100. It is measured as a percentage of the working class that has been distracted and divided by new age thoughts such that they cannot protest unlivable wages, low upwards mobility, and lack of alternatives.
>>
>>1313829
Good post
>>
>>1312870
How about you cost benefit analyze my foot up your ass?
>>
>>1313869
please anon the truth is too harsh and i can't afford to be any more bitter.
>>
>>1311791
a word idiots use to avoid rationalizing concepts and decisions they generally want to foist on others for what they perceive as the greater good.
>>
>>1311791
driving humanity through technological advancement towards our complete and total self-genocide.

Can't wait for when we make that final leap into the dark to experience the greatest collective headtrip of our lives
>>
>>1311791
space colonies an shieet
>>
Less suffering, more happiness, and sustainable.
>>
>>1315475
How exactly do we measure this?
>>
>>1311791
>metanarratives
>2016
smdh tbqh lad
>>
>>1312563
I'll add prosperity in the sense of economic equality, with most of people having enough to live and we're good
>>
>>1316118
Not that poster, but it's not something you'd really consider in terms of quantitative data. It's more a case of establishing a set of bare-bones social conditions (basic human rights, standards of living, democracy, ecological protection, sustainable resources etc.) which will be in a perpetual state of improvement so long as technological progress and economic security is sustainable.
>>
>>1312870
good old solow model
>>
A Gotham that no longer needs Batman
>>
>>1311791
The buzzword lesbians, gays, transexuals, liberals, etc. use to justify their degenerate views on how society should be
>>
>>1311791
It's a buzzword used to glorify whatever the ruling elite at the time wants

It's the exact mirror to "degeneracy"
>>
>>1318362
We said progress, not miracles
>>
The rise of the middle class
>>
A term used to further ones political ambitions
>>
>>1319213

The only correct answer
>>
>>1311791
Nonsense.
Progress happens but the problems of earlier times still remain as well change forms.
It's also used as a type of rebuttal on the left and right as a form of denial.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.