[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are maces just a meme? "Lets put a heavy rock on the end
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 11
File: Heavy-Flanged-Mace-Hole-y.jpg (77 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Heavy-Flanged-Mace-Hole-y.jpg
77 KB, 800x600
Are maces just a meme?

"Lets put a heavy rock on the end of a stick." It's the most basic fucking weapon.

It's off balance and heavy, making it useless for parrying unlike a sword. It is also not sharp and cannot be used for thrusting. In cramped quarters during a battle? Too bad, your weapon is now useless. A backhand isn't going to have the force to do much either.

They also can't do shit for armor. Armor deflects and pads mace blows. Swords can pierce inside the gaps in armor.

Even axes have weight and a blade.

I can only assume maces were a meme invented in the stone age and then created by warriors as a joke.
>>
fucking retard
>>
fucking retard
>>
File: 29133_1099108800.jpg (30 KB, 300x226) Image search: [Google]
29133_1099108800.jpg
30 KB, 300x226
>>1311060
> It's the most basic fucking weapon.
Saying this while you can literally fight with stick.
>>
Are you fucking retard?
>>
>>1311060
>I can only assume maces were a meme invented in the stone age and then created by warriors as a joke.

Ok, I laughed.
>>
File: TobiasCapwellarmour.gif (840 KB, 420x717) Image search: [Google]
TobiasCapwellarmour.gif
840 KB, 420x717
>>1311060

>Swords can pierce inside the gaps in armor.

Properly made armor doesn't have any gaps. The advantage of the mace is that even if the armor stops the blow, some of the impact will still get through, whereas a sword will just slide off. Also, if the head of the mace is heavy enough it could be used to bash open a weak point. And of course, if you smash somebody on the head, that's going to do serious damage even if they have full armor.
>>
File: 1451876651534.jpg (94 KB, 960x581) Image search: [Google]
1451876651534.jpg
94 KB, 960x581
>>1311093

So why were swords the default weapon for thousands of years?

Seriously, the macefags on this board make no sense. All they have is "it's heavy and so it negates armor." Uh, no, this isn't fuckin Skyrim.

> muh steel folded 1,000 times over into an iron ball
>>
>>1311102
> default weapon for thousands of years
Spears and bows were a default weapons.
>>
>>1311106

Yeah, in pre-history. Roman soldiers used swords.

Knights are usually depicted using swords.

The Illiad, they use spears and swords.

The Bible, swords most of the time.

Spears at least have a function though, and were used. Maces are literally a meme.
>>
>>1311060
>It's an X weapon was a meme thread.
Do you get off on making claims like this? It's a weird fetish that you should stop.
>>
>>1311060
Can we please stop using the word 'meme' in every fucking post? I don't even know what it's supposed to mean anymore.
>>
>>1311060
Yeah just try fighting knight in plate armour without one you silly bastard.
>>
For /his/ every historical weapon is memes. Next time i swear to god that there will be post about hand being a meme
>>
>Hahaha meme i called something a meme. Hey guys look at my thread where i call somethi g a meme hahahaha Xd
>>
>>1311102
Sword is a great sidearm.
It's easy to carry with you and relatively versatile.
So it's pretty widely spread as a result.
>>
>>1311158
It's a contextually dependent word that generally means in-concrete or of a false, contrived nature in most of said contexts.

I bet you're the kind of autist thinks language can degenerate.
>>
File: moche006[1].jpg (33 KB, 382x467) Image search: [Google]
moche006[1].jpg
33 KB, 382x467
they were pretty good for taking people alive
>>
Maces were mostly a stop gap for heavily armorer knights against each other until early gun powder were it was heavily armored knights against infantry with maybe a cuirass. Completely useless unless against armored units, and the money for armor is better spent on Calvary who focus on flanking
>>
Maces are specially designed to fight armored opponents.
>>
>>1311111
Oh my god you stupid fuckwit. The Bible and the Illiad are not reputable sources, and even the fucking Illiad has almost all of the soldiers wielding spears, with only the warlords wielding swords.
>>
The extreme blunt force and weight is meant to counter armored opponents.

Sometimes swords where held inverse to bash a foes helmet in with the pommel as the blunt force quickly dents steel and can easily cause internal damage.

fucking retard
>>
>>1311402
this should have been /thread
the meme joke was funny for a while but new sincerity is the future of 4chan discussion, stop your ironical kid humor.
>>
File: (you).jpg (66 KB, 681x460) Image search: [Google]
(you).jpg
66 KB, 681x460
>>1311480
>The Bible and the Illiad are not reputable sources
yes they are.
The weapons used and mentioned in the Illiad and the Bible are the common weapons of the time.
let me guess, you're not a historian?
>PSDs aren't evidence because they themselves cant be verified
Get out
>>
Well, priests couldn't draw blood and sometimes they had to fight.
>>
>>1311509
D&D meme
>>
File: image.jpg (98 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98 KB, 300x300
>>1311060
>MEME (n) an element of a culture or system of behavior that may be considered to be passed from one individual to another by nongenetic means, especially imitation.
What culture do maces belong to?
> MEME (n) an overused term, indicating a lazy or uneducated author who can't express themselves well.

>It's the most basic fucking weapon.
No, the rock and/or stick used individually are the most basic weapons. The mace, hammer, or axe would require a method of attachment for the stone head which took 10s of millennia to develop.

>>1311102 Swords were not "default". Sword smiths were a specialized talent. Wielding a sword required money to purchase the sword and specialized training in its use. The SPEAR was the default weapon for 100,000 years.

>>1311158 Agreed

>>1311111
>Yeah, in pre-history. Roman soldiers used swords.
You are failing something in school.

>MEME (n) a humorous image, video, piece of text, etc. that is copied (often with slight variations) and spread rapidly by Internet users.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (8 KB, 240x210) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
8 KB, 240x210
>>1311111

Fucking quints mate, sorry but maces BTFO.
>>
>>1311102
Why would you use an anti-armor weapon when you aren't expecting opponents in heavy armor? Most of the time Swords, Spears, and Bows would just fit the situation better because they're better at damaging light targets. That doesn't mean a mace isn't without it's uses, but it just means that it's uses are more specific.

That, and also it takes more strength to use effectively.
>>
>>1311509

Look at the pic from OP. How do you hit someone with that and not draw blood?
>>
>>1311529

But just last weekend I heard /his/ opine on how swords were meme weapons because they couldn't deal with armor, and were just expensive show weapons.

/his/ also knows axes are just pleb weapons. It loves maces and polearms though.

...reminds me, I need to update my calendar and put in a date to post a "polearms are memes" thread
>>
/his/ need its own /SQT/ to contain memery and shit posting
>>
>>1311060
>maces are meme weapons
>swords are meme weapons
>spears are meme weapons
This is getting out of hand.
>>
>>1311060

>armour is formed by hitting it repeatedly with a blunt object
>you can't deform or damage armour by hitting it with a blunt object though, that would be silly
>>
The Romans were btfo by a bunch of unarmored tribesmen wielding clubs and spears. Maces are not memes. You are meme.
>>
>>1311447
gimme more of dat jaguar warrior
>>
File: ThreadClosed.jpg (25 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
ThreadClosed.jpg
25 KB, 640x360
>>1311525
Great post. Looks like we can wrap this up.
>>
>>1311060
everyone fucking knows swords on sticks are the best weapons
>>
>>1311635

Didn't you know? All weapons are actually just sticks and bits of wood that we've meme'd into effectiveness using our gestalt consciousness. We're like 40k Orks; if we didn't believe in the effectiveness of our weapons, they wouldn't work, and there is no physical component of them that actually does the job; just the belief. Every weapon is a meme.
>>
>>1311102
swords were never the weapon of choice
>>
>>1311518
So maces being holy is a D&D thing? Guess that makes sense. In RuneScape, all maces give a prayer bonus.
>>
Warhammer is something neets play, it is not the name of a real weapon.
>>
>>1311102
>swords
>default weapon for thousands of years
Absolutely not. The "default" weapon was the spear until firearms came along. Spears were even used in the 20th century during the communist revolutions. They're insanely cheap to produce and very good at killing people. To get through armour, you have maces and hammers. Later, you have guns. Most maces were at least a few feet long, some of them much longer—you know, for crushing armour using a highly sophisticated principal, apparently now forgotten by /his/shits, called "centripetal force". You can probably guess what kind of armour was popular where the mace was designed based off the shape of the mace. Their cousin, the war hammer, became popular in the late medieval period for precisely this reason—big long stick with a heavy, pointy jam on the end. Your dudes are all wearing heavy tin cans? My dudes have can openers.
>>
>>1311748
>Every weapon is a meme
>Every meme, a weapon

O man...o fuck........o shit................damn
>>
>>1311525
>You are failing something in school.
To be fair, the roman example is correct.
>>
> can't do shit for armor
While it can hit the head, hitting the helmet against the person
>>
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 604x483) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 604x483
>>1312055 >>1311111
What is a "pre-historic" Roman?
When did said "pre-historic" Romans develop swords?
>>
>>1311060
fucking retard
>>
>>1311060
After many years swords became obsolete when armor got too advanced. Then knights switched to weapons like lances, picks, and maces. Since the swords couldn't do shit to knight armor and maces can by breaking ribs and shit with blunt damage.
>>
>>1312317
>After many years swords became obsolete when armor got too advanced

Armor never made swords "obsolete". First of all not everyone always wore full plate armor. Second even full plate armor has gaps that you can thrust a pointy sword into.
>>
Sounds like you're just projecting about being a limp-wristed noodle-armed faggot. I bet you can't even bench 100 pounds.
>>
>>1311093
Why does he have two different visors?
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.