[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is deism not a popular religious belief these days?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: maxresdefault.jpg (97 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
97 KB, 1440x1080
Why is deism not a popular religious belief these days?
>>
>>1310546

To be fair, the old ways of Relgion aren't that popular in the West tbqph.

They've either been reformed, reinterpreted, or discarded.
>>
Because deism doesn't offer anything at all which is the main drive for religion. It doesn't promise rewards or threaten with punishments.

God just did his thing and doesn't give a damn about anything in the universe. People want to think they're important enough for God to care at least a little.
>>
Deism was mostly just a placeholder for people who didn't believe in personal deity, but couldn't find a satisfactory explanation of the world's origin or working, thus they still had to appeal to supernatural in one way or another.

The more our knowledge progressed, the more redundant explanation god became for these sorts of people, thus they mostly eventually abandoned it altogether and moved to naturalistic atheism.
>>
>>1310601

This, pretty much
>>
>>1310595
>God just did his thing and doesn't give a damn about anything in the universe.
See I find something comforting about that. The idea that even if he's not interfering, God laid the groundwork and really everything is going according to plan. Sure that plan is "sit on my ass and watch", but it gives perspective.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.