[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How was the Spanish rule over their colonies in the Americas?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
How was the Spanish rule over their colonies in the Americas? Additionally, how come so many of the Latin Republics fail in comparison to the United States? Also, could /his/ hook an anon up with some books regarding Spain and its colonies?
>>
i dont know much about how spain rain the colonies except for 1 fact.

people who came to the united states arrived to colonize and extract all resources, but they found there wasnt much shining metals, so instead took to settle in, they owned the land and were the citizens, taking to farming and improving infrastructure

when spain arrived to central and south america they took all resources, enslaved the population, owned the land and didint care about much except taxes.
>>
Colonial era Spain was a High Middle Ages kind of place.

Absolute monarchy, fanatical religious devotion, entrenched caste system, and no independent institutions as we would understand them today.

Combine these tendencies with the view of the native people as pagan savages and a plantation system of agriculture that concentrated wealth in a handful of powerful families, and you have the recipe for a society mostly built on patronage and violence, which no room for rule of law.
>>
>>1310059
If there was a general view of natives as pagan savages, then why did Spanish colonists mix with them? Was it simply >muh dick?
>>
>>1310063

yeah basically they were just horny.
>>
>>1310063
Women aren't exactly going to line up across the block for a trip across the Atlantic to go fight some Indians and then die of cholera.

This is a common theme in most frontier areas, very few women decide to settle them compared to men.

It's also generally common to take wives from subject people are part of the loot.
>>
>>1310063

9 of every 10 ten spaniards that went to America were male and after three months on a boat you are ready to fuck any remotely feminine being
>>
>why did they fail in comparison
Race-mixing.
>>
>>1310063
The castas system was implemented because of plenty of muh dick incidents. The Euros were still at the top of the human hierarchy. You have to thank Jesuists humanism for slavery not becoming predominant.
>>
>>1310075
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>/r/the_donald/
>>
>>1310075
this
>>
Well this thread finished quickly.
Good job guys.
>>
>>1310111
Hopefully some anon will drop some book recommendations, since the constant answer I've been getting is "everything went wrong because of muh dick" though >>1310059
would be better if he expanded more
>>
>>1310044
>Also, could /his/ hook an anon up with some books regarding Spain and its colonies?

I have this book about this guy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_de_Palafox_y_Mendoza) yet to read, but I think it may interest you:

>Juan de Palafox: Obispo y Virrey (Cayetana Alvarez de Toledo, 2004)
>>
>>1310088
Build wall
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.