[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the superior philosophy in regards to the use of violence?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7
What is the superior philosophy in regards to the use of violence?
>>
Sherman was right
>>
Tit-for-tat

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUjLE_N1Cuc
>>
File: image.jpg (176 KB, 1064x935) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
176 KB, 1064x935
>>1307459
>>
>>1307575

This

Tit-for-tat is god tier, even game theorists concede that its the best in all scenarios
>>
>>1307459
Don't unless necessary to surviving/preserving freedom.

Once violent, do not overstep your bounds from defense into cruelty
>>
>>1307459
>in regards to the use of violence?
Against whom?
>>
Sherman's. Speed and results above restrain. Brevity is the only real mercy that should be given.

Also, the CSA deserved worst than what it got.
>>
File: pic-T-O-Tolstoy Leo.jpg (54 KB, 386x490) Image search: [Google]
pic-T-O-Tolstoy Leo.jpg
54 KB, 386x490
>>1307459
Don't.
>>
anything involving hobbes
>>
File: 3j16xjp8acfbpja1.jpg (29 KB, 450x350) Image search: [Google]
3j16xjp8acfbpja1.jpg
29 KB, 450x350
>>1308951
it was more than mere tactics, it was the deliberate targeting of the economy supporting the confederate war machine. This was a pretty significant break from the machismo of Napoleonic warfare which demanded that men surge forth in great frontal assaults towards one another because it proved to be a particularly bad tactic when fighting with civil war era technology (and an even worse tactic when fighting with WWI era technology.)

Sherman realized that the quickest way to end the war was not continuously butting heads with Robert E. Lee, but to attack the fields supplying his troops with food and the foundries supplying them with rifles and ammunition, and to completely devastate the tax base fueling the entire enterprise.

And the other really important half of this coin is Ulysses S. Grant keeping the heat on Richmond and forcing Lee into a protracted defensive posture defending it, and then grinding down his army in a grueling war of attrition.

>>1307575
But the problem with tit-for-tat is that in everyone's version of the story *they* were the one who was originally wronged and all of their efforts have been in self-defense. Even the Nazis justified themselves in this matter. So it really becomes a case of there NOT being a morally justifiable reason for violence because violence begets more violence like a virus spreading from person to person. One could make a compelling argument for defending your property against a home invader, but this is an extremely rare exception to the normal, every day benefit of fighting with lawyers instead of mercenaries.
>>
File: Mussolini.gif (2 MB, 297x229) Image search: [Google]
Mussolini.gif
2 MB, 297x229
An unavoidable nescecity
>>
Probably something that erases our delusions about it.

>Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
>>
>>1308498
small army
>>
>>1307459
The supreme art of war is to win without fighting.
>>
>>1307459
Max Stirner
>>
Breddy much everything is violence t. hairy clitoris
>>
lex talionis

or

'eye for an eye'

A lot of people misunderstand this value, it's not if he hits me I will hit him back - it's if he takes something from me i will inflict the exact damage back upon him. If he kills my wife I will kill his and do no more, if he steal $1000 I will steal $1000 back.

An eye for an eye does not leave the whole world blind, Ghandi was a fucking idiot.
>>
>>1309417
Legitimizing vengeance as a form of justice leads to more vengeance.

Not to mention: if he has no wife, you cannot take his eye for your eye. You can bullshit some equivalent, but it will not be an even punishment to the crime. And that is injustice.
>>
File: 1460266655015.png (657 KB, 600x473) Image search: [Google]
1460266655015.png
657 KB, 600x473
>>1307459
>>
>>1309439
>Legitimizing vengeance as a form of justice leads to more vengeance.
>literally misunderstanding the point.

It was the Roman shits who ruined this value and lead to monetary compensation instead of vengeance. Monetary compensation leads people to be more violent, are you trying to say otherwise? What is stopping a rich man from committing crimes when all he has to do is pay for said crimes? When all is said and done how is it a work-able solution when the rich man barely loses any of his wealth? Vengeance makes people actually fearful and think about the things they do - not just poor people.

I mean that really is a backwards scenario, don't you think? People are literally free to commit a crime, so long as you are willing to do the time, which a lot of people obviously are, would they be willing to 'do the time' if doing the time constituted vengeance upon the criminal? I really do not think so.
>>
>>1307459
use it when you can gain from it.
>>
>>1308501
Can you give me an example of a tit?
>>
>>1308951
>>1309053
Im a southerner and i agree with shermans tactics. End shit as quickly as possible regardless of morals (within reason).
However, i personally wouldnt commit any acts in the name of brevity because i dont want to go to hell. :)
>>
File: 800px-Sergei_Eisenstein_03.jpg (115 KB, 800x1192) Image search: [Google]
800px-Sergei_Eisenstein_03.jpg
115 KB, 800x1192
>>1309537
>It was the Roman shits who ruined this value and lead to monetary compensation instead of vengeance.
Yup. And it was the vast bulk of humanity who agreed that the Roman system, however oppressive and corrupt, was preferable to living in decentralized raiding culture where neighbors were allowed to prey on one another.

>Monetary compensation leads people to be more violent, are you trying to say otherwise?
Haha no, it puts people on their best behavior, because now they're worried about being sued.

> What is stopping a rich man from committing crimes when all he has to do is pay for said crimes?
There's this wacky new thing the kids are doing called "prison".

>When all is said and done how is it a work-able solution when the rich man barely loses any of his wealth?
Nobody is suggesting that the system doesn't favor the wealthy, but raiding culture favors them even worse, because justice in those systems favors those with the biggest gang.

>Vengeance makes people actually fearful and think about the things they do - not just poor people.
No, it leads to bitter and lasting family feuds and endless cycles of vengeance-inspired bloodletting.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.