[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Werewolves
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
File: 1467421518551.png (276 KB, 732x517) Image search: [Google]
1467421518551.png
276 KB, 732x517
Lets have a history of the werewolf thread.

What is the oldest record of the werewolf phenomenon?

How does this myth manifest across different cultures?

Please give sources when you can.
>>
File: viking_beserker.jpg (72 KB, 398x456) Image search: [Google]
viking_beserker.jpg
72 KB, 398x456
they were actually viking berserkers
>>
>>1359827
Some Roman historian mention a tribe of slavs that wear wolf furs and change into wolfs at night.
>>
>>1359827
Herodotus, Greek historian and traveler, writing in 5th century BC about a folk living around Thrace;

>The Neuroi practise the Scythian customs: and one generation before the expedition of Dareios it so befell them that they were forced to quit their land altogether by reason of serpents: for their land produced serpents in vast numbers, and they fell upon them in still larger numbers from the desert country above their borders; until at last being hard pressed they left their own land and settled among the Budinoi. These men it would seem are wizards; for it is said of them by the Scythians and by the Hellenes who are settled in the Scythian land that once in every year each of the Neuroi becomes a wolf for a few days and then returns again to his original form. For my part I do not believe them when they say this, but they say it nevertheless, and swear it moreover.
>>
>>1359827
|What is the oldest record of the werewolf phenomenon?

Neanderthals.

|How does this myth manifest across different cultures?

Depends on how long each culture has been exposed to Neanderthals.
>>
>>1362478
Correction - The Neuroi/Neuri were further East than Thrace. More like around the Dnieper river. They are briefly discussed in book 4 while Herodotus lists the peoples living around the Scythians (the pot smoking horse nomads.)
>>
File: 1464122698549.png (9 KB, 390x470) Image search: [Google]
1464122698549.png
9 KB, 390x470
>>1362488
Someone actually believed that Neanderthal documentary that was posted in a previous thread.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.