[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Traditionalist School and Mysticism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
Coming from a materialistic background, I have grown interested in the mystical layers of religion, such as Orthodox monasticism and Islamic sufism and the thoughts of the likes of Evola and Guenon in particular.

Not having a deep understanding of philosophy, I'd like to get an explanation in layman terms on what exactly are the implications of the view that several religious traditions and initiatory paths deriving and being valid in the light of a primal Tradition from a metaphysical(not historical!) perspective.

What attracts me to mysticism is that I can compensate with my heart where my mind does not allow, but if one adopts the perennialist view, to me it seems that it is has no depth. How can you partake in the Holy Christian Mysteries while at the same time viewing just as valid other mystical paths?

In my (lack of) understanding, it seems at best to be nothing more than glorified aestheticism and at worst LARPism.
>>
>>1305428

I have a suspicion about mysticism. That it only works when it does not violate the laws of physics. Which means mostly never.
>>
>>1305428
>nothing more than glorified aestheticism and at worst LARPism.
/thread
>>
>>1305446
>>1305451
Ignore these chucklefucks OP, you're on the right path.

I'm currently in the process of passing out so I'm not going to be able to give you anything about something as philosophically nuanced as mysticism right now, but I'm sure someone else will.

Godspeed.
>>
File: 1463699084346.jpg (46 KB, 461x469) Image search: [Google]
1463699084346.jpg
46 KB, 461x469
>>1305451
Is there no escape from this feeling of futility? I'd prefer to be an exoteric blind believer over being a nihilist craving for the absolute.
>>
Only way to really understand mysticism is through mystical practice (and lots of reading if you can be bothered). Meditate using methods from different traditions, you'll find similar results. Look into pantheism as well. In terms of reading, it's Plotinus, the Bible, the Corpus Hermeticum, the Tao Te Ching and a big helping of Kabbalah for you.
>>
Read A History of God by Armstrong, it will introduce you to the many mystical currents, including those within Orthodoxy and Sufism
>>
>>1305428
All the paths reflect this Truth in their own culturally conditioned way.

Mysticism, initiatic metaphysics, esoteric religion, all pretty much agree there is some transcendent, unconditioned principle the universe has emanated from. This view can include other gods, a personal theistic God, whatever you want, as all are manifestations of the Ultimate.

Meditate. Detach yourself from your body and emotions. Find a center within yourself that remains calm and collected in the face of external adversity. Mysticism is a science of the inner life. Do not worship God but the Ground of your own Being, the inalienable fact of your existing. Even then worship is too strong a word.

Your consciousness must always transcend it's conditioning, not resist or reject it. the distinction is an important one.

Without practice the path is a waste of time.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.