[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was the victorian era the high point of western civilization?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 12
Was the victorian era the high point of western civilization?
>>
>>1302246
No, the highest point is now, the modern era.
>>
File: LeDrumpfFace.jpg (233 KB, 757x412) Image search: [Google]
LeDrumpfFace.jpg
233 KB, 757x412
>>1302252
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.jpg (38 KB, 495x495) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f.jpg
38 KB, 495x495
>>1302255
>he doesn't count the present and instead counts only the past

Yeeeeeeeeeah, fuck you too buddy.
>>
Maybe in Europe. Here in the USA we spent the Victorian Era slaughtering each other by the millions. It was not really a fun time.
>>
>>1302252
>>1302260

Sure, if technology is your only metric.
>>
>>1302269
Are you saying we're degrading in other ways during this era?
>>
>>1302265
I'm talking more about cultural and intellectual life. Each era has its share of deaths.

>>1302273
Not him, but quite evidently.
>>
File: Moon Landing 1920x1200 wallpaper.jpg (411 KB, 1600x1000) Image search: [Google]
Moon Landing 1920x1200 wallpaper.jpg
411 KB, 1600x1000
>>1302246
>High Point of western civilization.

From that moment forward, western civilization has existed solely and exclusively as a morally bankrupt, unambitious cult of jewish consumerism.

the men that split the atom, the men that touched the very fabric of universal reality, took the white race to the moon, to gaze back on an earth abandoned to bankers and the unyielding pursuit of coins.
>>
File: 1444759607174.jpg (980 KB, 3072x2048) Image search: [Google]
1444759607174.jpg
980 KB, 3072x2048
>>1302246
There was, or rather COULD have been a day, where Humanity reached its full potential.

We sold our souls to stateless semetic devils, who have no dreams of humanity in triumph, but rather, would see us wallow in fictional debt, crushing our souls in concern over Annual percentage rates, see our daughters bop their asses up and down to music about drug dealers, they saw the pacification of the greatest warrior race the world has ever seen, so we could busy our selves with car loans and buying shoes.
>>
everyone who has posted in this thread above me should end their own lives before they have any effect on the world
>>
>>1303362
>tfw not sure if this is summerfag trying to be baiter or baiter trying to be summerfag that makes readers think it is a summerfag trying to be baiter

take me out of this box u cunt
>>
Today is the highest point of western civilization, Victorian Era was a highest point of the western influence. Retards can't distinguish between what is what apparently.
>>
>>1302279
> cultural and intellectual life
Toady we got more of it than in Victorian era even if just because of Internet. Can you imagine some random nobody to discuss history with people all around the world 150 years ago?! It isn't even the big thing by our modern standards. What cultural life of XIX century should trump our age honestly?
>>
>>1303445
Today is still the height of western influence. Everything that other countries do is a facsimile of western civilization, whether it be their entertainment, their technology, their legal systems, or their science.
>>
>>1302246
Was it really any better than the Edwardian era?
>>
>>1303463
>quantity is more important than quality
Look, I'd rather live now than in any other point in the past but contemporary culture is soulless and empty compared to the culture of many past eras.
>>
>>1303687
That's retarded, people have been saying this for the whole of human history, one day we'll look back on this era just like we do on the Victorian era
>>
>>1303687
You also got more quality work in all subjects from ethnic history to abstract mathematics today, than 150 years later. What is your point?

Soulless mass culture still better than nothing at all. Sophisticated modern intellectual elite culture is ways better than whatever was in Victorian era.
>>
no, it was the highest point of Europe

but the highest point of the west was the Cold War
>>
>>1302246
no, things objectively sucked for most people, we had child labor, horrible pollution, overextended empires, a range of devastatng epidemics, and widespread warfare
>>
>>1303687
soulless and empty? you're just looking in the wrong places.
>>
>>1303687
> Contemporary culture is soulless and empty compared to the culture of many past eras.
You can't be serious. We've art forms that didn't even exist in past eras. I'm suspecting it's just you who are not well versed in art.
>>
>>1302269
and economic, since they are still the richest civilization

and militarily since they can easily wipe out all other civilizations (well maybe not Asia)

and socially, since they have better human rights standards than all other civilizations

>b-but muh /pol/ memes
>>
>>1302265
>Maybe in Europe
Maybe not though.
>>
>>1303702
People didn't say that during the Victorian era.
>>1303709
Yes, progress happened in the past 150 years. That is not the point. The late roman empire wasn't better than the roman republic because they had made progress.
>Sophisticated modern intellectual elite culture
What's that? A can of artist's shit? Kys
>>
>>1302246
No, the immediate Post-War era was. The fin de siecle comes in close second though.

Either way, it's fun to look at all the retards in this thread who think progress is objectively good even if it's regression. I'd imagine that these same people consider the medieval period as backward (it was in some aspects, but by the late middle ages it was far beyond) despite being a progression from the Roman era.
>>
>>1303687
How are you judging this?
>>
>>1302246
London had designated shitting streets and was India tier filthy, so no.
>>
>>1303445
>>1303445
>>1303445

This
>>
File: y5bt4v.jpg (103 KB, 720x478) Image search: [Google]
y5bt4v.jpg
103 KB, 720x478
>>1306022
Parts of England were literally India tier until recently.

Some people didn't even have toilets.
>>
>>1302269
So you would say that if the entire world was bathed in nuclear hellfire and the only people remaining were some dying Europeans, that would be the height of Western civilization because the only thing that matters is that Europe is doing infinitely better than everyone else?

No thanks. I think I'd rather not define success by how shitty the rest of the world is.
>>
roman empire was the best. #bringbacktheromanempire
>>
>>1302246
The progressivism in this thread is astounding. I didn't know people could have such a low ability to assess the worth of civilizations.

>but we have toilets now XD
>so clearly it's better!!!
>>
>>1302246
I'll presume as you've ignored Rome completely, we're discounting Rome, which was of course the objective high point of Western Civilisation.

The high point of the west is the immediate post-war era, where society successfully found its feet in a post imperial world. The morals and community of the 40s and 50s were better than anything we've managed since.

I fear it will take another global catastrophe to reverse where we are now headed
>>
File: Rage.png (70 KB, 554x527) Image search: [Google]
Rage.png
70 KB, 554x527
>>1305255
>People didn't say that during the Victorian era.
YES THEY FUCKING DID

ITS THE ENTIRE POINT OF ROMANTICISM MOVEMENT

"HOLY SHIT WE'RE BECOMING MORE INDUSTRIALIZED/URBANIZED/CENTRALIZED. MODERN LIFE IS ALIENATING AS FUCK. LET US MAKE ARTWORKS/LITERATURE OF BYGONE ERAS OF THE AGE OF THE HEROIC PAST/IDYLLIC COUNTRYSIDES/SMALL COMMUNITIES WHERE EVERYONE KNEW EACH OTHER."

CUNTS EVEN TRIED SO FAR AS TO ESTABLISH COLONIES IN ISOLATED PARTS OF AMERICAS/AFRICAS TO DO THIS SMALL-COMMUNITY SHIT ANTI-MODERNISM SHIT.
>>
>>1302246
Please. The entirety of western civilization on AVERAGE right now is better than the highest class of the Victorian era.
The highest point of western civilization though is the point we're just about to hit when we become an almost completely laborless society. You like Victorian era because of the tales of rich intellectuals spending their time on world-changing artistic and technological and philosophical pursuits? That was just the upperclass that had the freedom to pursue that, we're about to have just about everyone doing that. Get your ass ready, shit is about to get real.
>>
>>1306683
They were reactionaries, but as you yourself said, their gripe wasn't with the idea that victorian society was degenerating.

>>1306687
>The highest point of western civilization though is the point we're just about to hit when we become an almost completely laborless society.
Stopped reading.
>>
>>1306683
And even if their gripe with the victorian era was that it was "degenerate", that does not constitute an argument. In fact it's a fallacy, called "slippery slope".
>>
>>1306702
Not an argument.

Hey, I can use that meme too.
>>
>>1303687
>contemporary culture is soulless and empty compared to the culture of many past eras.
That literally means nothing.
>>
>>1303362
>muh science
>>
File: emma-lambert.jpg (154 KB, 900x447) Image search: [Google]
emma-lambert.jpg
154 KB, 900x447
>>1305255
> falling into muh modern art is bad meme that hard
Even abstract paintings are good now.
>>
>>1306702
The slippery slope is not a fallacy, it is a rhetorical device. It is only fallacious if there exists no logical progression from point A to point B.
>>
>>1302252
>the modern era
>aka the Neo-Victorian era
>>
File: tumblr_mvhrfpAzLe1qz9v0to2_1280.jpg (722 KB, 1100x743) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mvhrfpAzLe1qz9v0to2_1280.jpg
722 KB, 1100x743
>>1305255
> i don't know about modern art
Literally the reddit of opinions.
>>
1960s before the moon landings and degenerate hippie counterculture
>>
File: 1466067254961.jpg (232 KB, 728x1590) Image search: [Google]
1466067254961.jpg
232 KB, 728x1590
>>1305255
>I don't know anything about modern art
Go be a pleb somewhere else.
>>
>>1306701
> their gripe wasn't with the idea that victorian society was degenerating.
Yes it was.

What do you think Nietzsche spent his career commenting on?
>>
>>1303393
Please end yourself
>>
>>1306677
But the high point of civilization was the Hellenistic area when Greeks(westerners) ruled from Spain to India unlike the Romans who ended western expansion.
>>
>>
File: pollocktatemodern.gif (224 KB, 620x465) Image search: [Google]
pollocktatemodern.gif
224 KB, 620x465
>>1306808
That looks like shit

>>1306871
>>1306877
Yeah, so "deep". I wish I was as smart and deep as you to be able to appreciate such a masterpiece
>>
>>1307100
Yes, cause every painting since 1950 has been a variation of a Jackson Pollock...
>>
>>1307100
> I was as smart and deep as you
You would be if you spent some of your time on a cultural life instead of repeating old memes about painting that you doesn't even seen in a museum.
>>
File: beautifulart.jpg (27 KB, 635x476) Image search: [Google]
beautifulart.jpg
27 KB, 635x476
>>1307106
No I didn't say that. Sometimes modern art masterpieces look like this.
>>
>>1307115
>that you doesn't even seen in a museum.
Your low IQ is showing.
>>
>>1307100
> That looks like shit
Its warm and touching, remind me about sun light and the morning. There is certain beauty in that.
>>
>>1307120
Well, not everyone is high IQ human with Jewish genetic heritage, anon.
>>
>>1302246
roman empire

or pre napoleonic
>these western monarchs sure kept their population under their morals
>>
>>1302246
>le wrong generation
It's now. The high point is now.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.