[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would the alphabet of an internet civilization develop?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: alphabets.png (43 KB, 889x496) Image search: [Google]
alphabets.png
43 KB, 889x496
How would the alphabet of an internet civilization develop?

For example, the Eastern Asian languages of Chinese and Japanese use such flowing characters because they're painted with ink on scrolls.

Korean hangul is so squareish because it was developed by writting in ceramic.

Latin alphabet is very sharp shaped lines because they were developed out of writting in rocks and the like.

How would a completely original language from the internet develop like? How would it sound, and look like, if we had to create something of our own using computers and the internet only, rather than just speaking formerly created languages in the web?
>>
File: udhr_georgian[1].gif (13 KB, 563x185) Image search: [Google]
udhr_georgian[1].gif
13 KB, 563x185
>>1357300
Then how the hell did Georgian alphabet originate?
>>
>>1357300
That's a fascinating question but I have no real idea..

Two things I've noted about computer fonts though:
- as you said, East Asian scripts were made to be painted on scrolls and such, so they're basically giant characters and thus they're really hard to read at low font sizes (the most complex characters can actually show up as black squares.) Other scripts are easier to read at low font sizes without straining your eyes or zooming in, on top of being simpler to draw and print, and I expect a native internet alphabet to be like that.
- characters having similar widths matters little when they're written by human hands but very important for the text to look good on screen, and ideally two lines with the same number of characters would have the same length with the characters neatly lined up (irrespective of case too). This is something Asian scripts generally do better than Latin scripts by the way. There are equal-width fonts for all languages.

I also expect the internet language to be camel-cased.
>>
With computer screens, pixels can take not only inumerous shapes, but also colours.
In adition to that, information on a screen can move.
When you write something on a sheet of paper, the text is static. But with the internet, you have access to .gifs, videos, .webms and so on.

I think that every word or idea would be expressed by a square that could be as small as a pixel, and each of these units would flash different colours in different sequences.

So for example, a pixel (or larger square made up of other pixels) could flash the sequence red-blue-green, and this would mean "dog".
Then the next pixel just right of the first one is flashing green-blue-red, and that means "barks".

Something like a very long text would look like a lot of squares alligned, and each of them would be flashing different lights.
>>
>>1357300

I would say the internet and computers as a whole do have their own language being code and all the variations they use to communicate. Every "machine" has its own code it needs to understand, and a language strictly made for the internet would be very direct I would imagine. There's no real need or purpose for imagery, especially when you're going for faster loading and execution times

>tl;Dr idk but it's pretty interesting
>>
>>1357300
>Korean hangul is so squareish because it was developed by writting in ceramic.
What the fuck?

>Latin alphabet is very sharp shaped lines because they were developed out of writting in rocks and the like.
What the double fuck.
>>
The Internet presupposes existing languages and writing systems. Any unique civilizations that develop in an Internet age will use either some adaptation or expansion of a pre-existing writing system -- presumably that of a language most common to the regions from which the members of this civilization originate -- or enforce some other agreed-upon standard developed specifically to adequately express and differentiate the many distinctive sounds that exist in the dozens of languages used on the Internet. Perhaps something resembling the International Phonetic Alphabet. If it is a more widespread Internet civilization, it is almost certain to be based on the Latin alphabet.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.