[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"I have made only one mistake in my life, I should have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8
File: pg-35-napoleon-1-dea-getty.jpg (100 KB, 930x698) Image search: [Google]
pg-35-napoleon-1-dea-getty.jpg
100 KB, 930x698
"I have made only one mistake in my life, I should have burned Berlin!"

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>1300763
He foresaw the future he had caused and how it would all lead up to the death of ten million Jews in the holocaust. He realized too late that if he razed Berlin when he had the chance, the shoah might have been prevented.
>>
File: Puppets.png (233 KB, 800x5275) Image search: [Google]
Puppets.png
233 KB, 800x5275
>>1300763
>Fucking Napoleon
>claims only one regret

Fuck off you Corsican shit.
>>
>>1300763
Maybe he was talking about those donuts.
>>
File: napoleon_at_waterloo.jpg (514 KB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
napoleon_at_waterloo.jpg
514 KB, 3000x2000
"I've been in this position before at the Battle of Marengo! I lost the battle at five o'clock, but I won it back again at seven!"

>>
>>1300980
>I'm not losing!
>muh tactical retreat
>muh minor setback
>muh military genius
>I still got some good hits in tho

All of the above. Basically he was so used to clutching out victories when winning seemed impossible that he was convinced he'd be able to pull it out any time.
>>
>>1300996
thanks.

"Give me night, or give me Blücher."

What did he mean by this though?
>>
>>1300763
BASED
A
S
E
D
>>
>>1301024
Too bad he didnt live to see Sèvres
>>
>>1301024
He was referring to balance of power, otherwise Russia would've conquered the Ottomans before he was even born.
>>
File: 1448933442368.jpg (742 KB, 2024x2722) Image search: [Google]
1448933442368.jpg
742 KB, 2024x2722
>>1300893
>I have undertaken to reform the Jews, but I have not endeavoured to draw more of them into my realm. Far from that, I have avoided doing anything which could show any esteem for the most despicable of mankind.[

what did he mean by this?
>>
>>1300980
>>1301010
these aren't actual napoleon quotes though are they?

I havn't finished his ouevres yet.
>>
>>1300763
I see only 2 mistakes.
Egypt
Russia
>>
>>1302116
A bit of jewing is ok
>>
>>1302230
Spain

Continental system was also a catastrophe, but not really a "mistake" because it was doing major damage to Britain, Britain just overcame and rekt Napoleon
>>
>>1302239
Oh, those are only military mistakes to. He made some significant political calls as well, the worst being the execution of d'Enghien, and giving Poland autonomy as a favor to a woman who was boning him against the wishes of his closest ally (the Czar)...which ultimately precipitated the invasion of Russia.had been occupied by Poland before and therefore was extremely concerned about the matter, and started massing troops in the border, which got Napoleon concerned they were going to invade Poland.
>>
>>1302253
You also made me remember how he allowed himself to be cucked by people who openly hated him
>>
>>1302263
He certainly didn't work to endear himself to anyone, he could have had much better relations with the Pope (who went on the plead for his life to his captors, and harbor his mother when he abdicated), but he drunk on amor fati and didn't consider that he was brewing poison.
>>
>>1302268
*was drunk
>>
>>1302230
you're either retarded or unversed in the history of the Napoleonic era.
The biggest mistake he made was Spain. Plus, Russia was not a mistake by itself. Trying to stay longer than necessary in Moscow was one.
>>
>>1302120
All of the quotes I posted are from Waterloo (1970) m8 but you plebs haven't noticed yet.

"Next to a battle lost, there's nothing so melancholy as a battle won."
-Wellington
>>
File: Blücher.jpg (613 KB, 1006x1240) Image search: [Google]
Blücher.jpg
613 KB, 1006x1240
>>1300763

"Look, all I am saying is that Western civilization would be better off if we wiped France off the pages of the history book from here on out. I'm sorry, but someone has to say it!"

>>
>>1302981
To me Blücher proved that Germans are asshats that can't take a no for an answer.

"Raise high the black flags, children. No pity. No prisoners. I'll shoot any man I see with pity in him. Forward!"

There's also the bridge episode.

"During the occupation of Paris by the Allies, Prussian General Blücher wanted to destroy the Pont d'Iéna, which was named after a French victorious battle against Prussia. The Prefect of Paris tried everything to change the mind of Blücher, without success, and finally went to Talleyrand asking him whether he could write a letter to the General asking him not to destroy the bridge. Talleyrand instead wrote to Tsar Alexander, who was in person in Paris, asking him to grant to the people of Paris the favour of inaugurating himself the bridge under a new name (Pont de l'École militaire). The Tsar accepted, and Blücher could not then destroy a bridge inaugurated by an Ally. The name of the bridge was reverted to its original name under Louis-Philippe."
>>
>>1302504
This. Spain was Napoleon's Vietnam/Afghanistan.
Zealous priests who ran to the hills with townsfolk calling the French spawn of Satan, to raid and harass French troops and messengers, to the point where you needed about fifty men guarding simple messages, a populace who outright hated the troops and helped the bandits, uprisings, and a constant drain on manpower that was unneeded and gained him nothing, a Portugal that didn't even consider conceding a single iota to the French and continued the war against them from brazil. It got to the point where the french, upon discovering someone helping the bandits, would just slaughter entire villages and be done with it, which of course only spurred the population to more anger and hatred. Then he got declared on by another coalition. Fun times.
>>
>"Germany was a mistake"
> - Friedrich der Grosse

what did he mean by this
>>
>>1303016
Insidious, petty, presumptuous, cowardly.
>>
File: turkindependence.png (177 KB, 264x1816) Image search: [Google]
turkindependence.png
177 KB, 264x1816
>>1301051
but the turks won in the end though
>>
>>1300763
He realized the danger to Europe of the eternal hun.
>>
>>1303134
The nefarious Soviets...
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.