[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Better for a hundred men to hold a hundred different incorrect
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (77 KB, 556x370) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77 KB, 556x370
"Better for a hundred men to hold a hundred different incorrect opinions than for them all to hold the same correct opinion"
>>
So, war because of false beliefs is better than enlightened peace?
>>
>100 men are not allowed to agree with each other
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>1300476
Welcome to democracy where every opinion matters the same.

>B-but you cannot know that your opinion is the right one
What is science?
>>
>>1300480
>>1300482
>>1300488
ITT: autism
>>
>>1300488
>t. Butthurt evolvlaboo
>>
>>1300492
>lol autism XD
No seriously, this is a horrible quote
>>
>>1300488
>Implying science can answer every single question
>>
>>1300527
Positions which cannot be backed up by science are not worth upholding
>>
>>1300536
>is liberty more valuable than security?
>>
>>1300536

What is the meaning of life?
>>
>>1300546
>dealing in absolutes
This is why you must fail. One does not simply govern on a basis of broad moral judgments but on a case to case basis
>>
>>1300565
To continue the species.
>>
>>1300565
To reproduce.
>>
>>1300488
"Hey Nigel, should we let gays marry?"

"Hold on Geoff let me just pop down to my lab, gotta figure this shit out"
>>
Where's the quote from? It could refer to the potential of intellectual growth in new avenues that comes from having a diversity of opinions; even having wrong opinions present could be useful in preventing future stagnation.
>>
>>1300606
Marriage as in a government privileged union between two human beings for the sake of the continuation of the species cannot be extended to queers as they do not actively reproduce and the state gains nothing from their union.
>>
>>1300565
Mu.
>>
>>1300618
What if married gays are more likely to adopt children or get a surrogate?
>>
>>1300638
Though noble by intention children do not fare well lacking a father or a mother.
>>
>>1300618
>implying this is scientific

what is your hypothesis, what are your variables, what is your control, what is your sample, THIS MAKES NO SENSE
>>
>>1300708
It's called institutionalism and it's a field of social science.

We define marriage as a social institution privileged by the state with the focus on child bearing and rearing.
>>
>>1300719
That's not science it's fucking philosophy

Science can only ever provide an is, never an ought
>>
>>1300618
>everything needs to be for the benefit of the state
t. Autist
>>
>>1300744
if it doesn't benefit the state why would the state support it? cohabitation isn't illegal, right?
>>
>>1300476
>100 men
>100 opinions

That's an optimistic number of opinions.
>>
>>1300719
"Privileged by the state" So no one got married in Catalonia during the revolution? wow whoda thought
>>
>>1301682
Because the people tell them to. Welcome to democracy.
>>
>>1300741
As I see it, you are a burger who believes the "only mathumatics can be hurd science durrr" meme.

I am not bound to the mere vocabulary limitations of the english language. The science definition of the continental tradition is far more inclusive.

>>1300744
You were talking about allowing gay marriage. Marriage in its modern form is a privilege afforded upon partners by the state because it is conducive to public order and population growth.

It doesn't matter if two gays marry in a religious sense but there is no logical reason for the state to privilege that.
>>
>>1302271
We were talking about legalising gay marriage. That assumes the presence of a privileging authority, i.e. the state.

Also
>muh great anarchist society
kys
>>
>>1300565
Propagation of chains of highly complex nucleotides.
>>
>>1300606
You could theoretically perform a shitton of statistics and studies on the individual and collective effects of societies that have already legalized it before and after. Societies (plural) would have to be guinea pigs and would be ridiculously hard. Doable though.

>inb4lehat+multicoloredpuzzleribbon.
>>
>>1300744
If the state exists to benefit the people, then why shouldn't everything need to benefit the state?
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.