[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't know if this question is best suited for here, /jp/,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: KamiHappy.jpg (21 KB, 300x243) Image search: [Google]
KamiHappy.jpg
21 KB, 300x243
I don't know if this question is best suited for here, /jp/, or /a/, but who is "Kami-sama?" When I hear it mentioned in a Chinese cartoon (Please, Kami-sama, help me; maybe Kami-sama told me to do that; I think Kami-sama is watching over us), is it an anachronism referring to the Christian God or a more complicated idiom that's always been part of Japanese rhetoric?
>>
>>1299222
You know. There is soul in everything yada yada eastern shamanism
>>
>>1299222
it refers to a Namekian living in the sky that watches over the earth and gives power to the dragon balls
>>
It's the Christian God
>>
>>1299222
It's not Christian god nor any god from monotheism. It's one of Japanese Shinto gods who is supposed to govern the heavenly world.
>>
God
>>
>>1299357
I'm pretty sure kami-sama is used as a respectful way to refer to almost any god, and it can be used in a monotheistic context.

The Japanese in general are not very religious today, A typical Japanese person would be perfectly fine with having a Christian wedding and a Buddhist funeral.
>>
Reminder that DBZ is pure kino.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0WaiRulyoY
>>
>>1299357
Shinto doesn't really have "gods" the way western religions have "gods". Shinto has "Kami". Now, I suppose, if you want to go out on a limb, you could argue Shinto is polytheist with over 8 million "gods", but at some point the god concept loses it's meaning and waters-down to something along the lines of "spirits". Most practitioners of Shinto do not believe they are worshiping deified beings, but instead participating in observance of this Kami force.

So from the outside looking in, one might argue Shinto is polytheistic, but it's actually an atheistic spirituality.
>>
>>1299941
Some shinto kami are clearly deities in something close to the western sense of the word, but others are more like spirits or even something more esoteric
>>
>>1299952
Some have individual identity, but all Kami are Kami, they combine to form what one might consider "supreme being", so by that argument, then, they are monotheist to a power with many facets, but that, also, is incorrect. It simply doesn't translate appropriately to conventional monotheism or polytheism. It's more akin to animism, which is also atheistic.
>>
>>1299967
I am not well versed in the intricasies of esoteric shinto, but I do know the basics pretty well.

a kami can be a tree, an object, etc. each one has a special force or spirit behind it, but its worship is centered on the object in question.

As an agnostic neither shinto or animism, nor early western pagan traditions which are similar strike me as atheistic, and to say there is no cross over between a shinto kami and a western deity is to stretch credulity
>>
>>1299967
It's important, I think, to add that not all atheistic contention is the stock, internet variety of anti-metaphysical contention. There are many types of atheism and it's not some bad word, it's simply a way to view the world. Atheism comes in many forms, from the very spiritual to the not-spiritual-at-all. It doesn't ever mean "anti-religious", although a given atheist might, indeed, be anti-religious, or even anti-metaphysical. It literally means "no deities", or not "gods in the western sense of the concept".
>>
>>1299987
Atheists can still be very spiritual. Shinto practitioners are very spiritual. They simply do not hold the concept "gods" as western religions do. Shinto, as animism, is spiritual atheistic contention, and it's fine to call it that.
>>
>>1300000
also, to samefag, quint for truth.
>>
It depends. In traditional Japanese religion, it's most likely Amaterasu and Izanami, the sun and moon gods.

However, in Shinto and Zen, it's also what they called the Emperor because he was a living God.
>>
>>1300012
Well but if you read the konjiki the kami literally created the heavens, created japan from the primordial foam, came down from the heavens to give law and order to the land, and bred with mortals to create the imperial family and several other groups.

This is very similar behavior to European deities, Indian deities, ect. Now" kami" does have a broader definition than "god" but a "god" can certainly be categorized as a kami
>>
>>1299222
Kami (神) means Shén (神)
>>
Kami is soul or spirit. Ghosts are sometimes called kami
>>
>>1300012
It's pretty silly to call them atheists just because the line between weak gods and powerful spirits is blurry.
>>
>>1300147
Academia is neither silly nor non-silly. It simply is what it is by a process of semantics. If it hurts your feelings to call Shinto an atheistic contention, you have my full permission to call it "snorkel".
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.