[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Major in English or philosophy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: 142862341.jpg (576 KB, 848x1200) Image search: [Google]
142862341.jpg
576 KB, 848x1200
What will I miss out on doing one vs the other? (Just enough credits left to complete one.)

If I do English, I'm afraid I'll miss education in the ideas of thinkers from other traditions (eg German, French philosophy).

If I do philosophy, I'm worried I'll miss out on education in some grand accounts of muh human condition (which is important to me), though I don't know whether academic English really goes into that at all.

Thoughts?
>>
I want Baker-sensei to spank me
>>
In most American universities you'll be doing a lot of analytic stuff, so that means logic tables and sperging about math and language, it's not all phenomenology and human condition unfortunately. Where I go, a pretty analytic university overall, there's still plenty of existentialism and philosophy of art courses and stuff but you can't get around taking symbolic logic and metaphysics at some point.

English of course is going to focus more on literature while Philosophy will have a bent more towards critical thinking. Both will give you a substantial writing education.

I don't know my man, I guess it comes down to taste and what you plan to do after school is out.
>>
>>1296738
>English
Become an english teacher
>Philosophy
Become a barista
You decide.
>>
>>1296769
>Become a barista
Sort of a meme, philosophy grads do better than most degrees when it comes to job placement and earnings. It's not mechanical engineering but still.
>>
>>1296777
Citation
>>
File: computer science.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
computer science.gif
2 MB, 320x240
Just teach yourself arts in your spare time and do a real degree.

http://directedstudies.yale.edu
>>
>>1296781
You can see the full list here. It's at #75 above degrees that are commonly thought of as more lucrative, such as business, finance, and IT.

http://www.payscale.com/college-salary-report/majors-that-pay-you-back/bachelors?page=22
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.