[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are so many Christians also patriots and nationalists, even
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: 1454029662629.jpg (67 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1454029662629.jpg
67 KB, 633x758
Why are so many Christians also patriots and nationalists, even though the teachings of the Bible directly contradict the concept of nations (with Jesus himself declaring that he will strike down the national borders upon his second coming)?
Moreover, why is it so hard to realize that the Bible is mostly a collection of allegorical moral and philosophical teachings, which are in no way special and severely detached from the reality of the modern world? It is in no way a true account of the world.
Religion is mostly used by those who seek to justify shitty policies and doctrines ("muh God wants it like so, he told me to invade Iraq"). Religion as a whole was maybe useful and beneficial at some point, but this is simply not the case in a modern society, where it leads to things ranging from science denial to sectarianism, and even war.
>>
Religion is a right-hand of politics. Always was, always will.

If you think something's changed you're deluded.
>>
>>1296723
>Why are so many Christians also patriots and nationalists
*Protestants
Protestants are pseudo-Germans. They have no capacity in their brains to learn anything but racism, xenophobia, imperialism and anti-semitism.
>>
>>1296750
Catholic leftist, probably detected.

I'm a deist centrist btw, what do you think about guns?
>>
>>1296773
I'm a right wing banana handler desu
Self-defense is a human right
>>
>>1296723
Does the bible actually say that and nation states are wrong or is it something along the lines that during the second coming all will be united under God or something.
>>
How do religious nations of the same religion reconcile going to war with each other? Like German troops with "Gott Mitt Uns" on their belt buckles killing British and Frenchmen who are also saying God is on their side?
>>
>Why do so many Christians
Why do everyone make assumptions about Christianity?

Everyone pretends like their generalizations are facts and all the sudden are experts in Christian doctrines
>>
File: tendies.jpg (74 KB, 1024x714) Image search: [Google]
tendies.jpg
74 KB, 1024x714
>>1296780
Kek, banana handler

I like you, you can come over to my house and fuck my sister

But she's ugly so, I wouldn't do it if I were you
>>
>>1296790
I doubt they thought about it very much.
>>
>>1296780

Why were martyrs who didn't fight back so revered by early Christians?

Its not like Saint Peter stood up on a pile of Roman corpses saying "BRING IT ON MOTHER FUCKERS!"
>>
>>1296723

Same reason why Muslims kill in the name of their faith despite their being extracts of Muslim texts telling them not to.

All religious texts have contradictions. Mainstream Islam is unaware of such contradictions, and Islamic reformists who preach for different interpretations/ neglect the barbaric teachings of the Islamic text are accused of being Islamophobic.

Most patriots and nationalists are fucking retarded because they don't understand the pros and cons of left and right.

No enlightenment shall come to them.
>>
My time going to church showed me that regular people care about things bigger than themselves. That's inspiring.

The problem with the conversations is that they're hindered by the bible. No matter how far the conversation advances, if someone can find a bible verse that seems to contradict where reason and clear thinking are going, even taken out of context, it shuts everything down.

You have to filter all rational thought through a series of morality plays written thousands of years ago.
>>
>>1296723
Why are you having so many stupid opinions?
I expect an honest answer.

Why don't you instead educate yourself, then ask questions to test how dumb you are.
>>
File: 1445120543384.png (116 KB, 800x388) Image search: [Google]
1445120543384.png
116 KB, 800x388
>>1297053
How about actually providing an argument instead of resorting to personal attacks? Jesus clearly wasn't OK with nation states - read the fucking Bible. It's all over it.
Plus, if you actually think that the Bible is a true account of the world, your views contradict with basic scientific data. Science provides a far better account of the world than the ramblings of a preaching guy who led a sect some two millennia ago, and guess what - science contradicts virtually all of his, and his doctrine's ramblings.

There's nothing wrong with having a religion, but don't force it on others, and don't ban and meddle in scientific research only because you think the Bible is not OK with it. And more importantly, killing brown people because God told you to (literally how Bush justified the Iraq war) is not OK.
>>
Most Christians view religion as a means to please themselves, not an avenue to please God or better their surroundings.

Most haven't even opened the Bible.
>>
>in no way special and severely detached from the reality of the modern world?

Kek. Need some examples.
>>
>>1298284
The Bible
>>
lol @ thinking invading Iraq was for religious purposes

You're in for a rude awakening, goyim.
>>
>>1298292
Citations from the bible needed
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.