[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
19th century warfare tactics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: borodino_10_03.jpg (76 KB, 600x401) Image search: [Google]
borodino_10_03.jpg
76 KB, 600x401
So we just paint our dummies into different colors, form lines, and command them to stay against each one and shoot. Also they can charge... And sometimes cavalry shows up... Also artillery shells the motherfuckers as they stand close enough to each other.
What sense does it make?
Wouldn't it be better to use some kind of a disguise? Shoot from the cover and attack in small groups?
>>
That's 18th century style.

Napoleonic style is more dynamic.
>>
>>1296390
I mean those kinds of rifles are only considered accurate in mass volleys. You could go for a stealthy approach, but how would that work with 20+ people? Not only that but after you fire your position is immediately compromised.
>>
>>1296390
Well I dunno how bout you pick up a fucking book and stop making this thread every few hours?
>>
File: 300px-Redoute.svg.png (24 KB, 300x187) Image search: [Google]
300px-Redoute.svg.png
24 KB, 300x187
>>1296405
Yeah that's kinda is. But they still didn't use camouflage. They have used some fortifications like redoubt (figure related) but still no trenches. Which is sad. Of course I was exaggerating but still.
18th century battles look even more stupid.

PS: I mastered the ability to detect store fronts immediately.
>>
>>1296390
>Wouldn't it be better to use some kind of a disguise? Shoot from the cover and attack in small groups?

Weapons were too inaccurate/ineffective for that. The enemy would just walk straight to whatever their objective is.
>>
>Why don't they separate into tactical groups so they don't get hit by cannons?
OH SHIT CAVALRY RUN RUN RUN

>Why don't they use pikes to fend off the cavalry?
OH SHIT MUSKETMEN RUN RUN RUN ARGH WHY DID THEY ISSUE US THESE STICKS INSTEAD OF FIREARMS

>Why don't they give all the troops horses?
ARGH FUCKING MINISTERS GIVE US MORE MONEY, WHAT'S THE BIG ISSUE WITH FIELDING 150,000 HORSES PER CAMPAIGN, THE MONGOLS DID IT 500 YEARS AGO

>Why don't they use camouflage?
GOOD GOD NEY, HOW CAN I SIGNAL OUR GODDAMNED REGIMENTS IF I CAN'T SEE THEM THROUGH THE FUCKING SMOKE?

>Why didn't they invent smokeless powder earlier?
at this point you can eat shit OP
>>
War had accumulated a lot of rules over the centuries that generals continued to play by even though the advances in weapons technology made them less and less practical.
>>
>>1296426
>camoflage your men

Good work, now the enemy can't see you from a distance. Unless you're bunched up, of course, so you have to spread out. But now all they have to do is charge in your general direction and pick you all out individually for the slaughter. Also you probably can't hear your officer if he orders you to fire, and maneuvering the whole unit is hell. But let's say it works out anyway. Well now you can't recognize your own troops and spot them out from the bushes, and even worse if your enemy catches on to your wonderful totally-working camouflage tactics, now you can't even tell apart friend and foe, so you're probably going to fire on your own men at some point (which did happen to skirmishers quite often). But at this point, as a soldier, you should consider your rank a blessing, because your officer has it worse off, since he can't tell what position on the battlefield is safe or even if any of your allies are still around or if they've retreated. Double that hell again if the enemy has camo. Even despite all that, the guy who's got it worst is the general, who has absolutely no fucking clue what's going on anywhere in the battlefield because radios don't exist and he can only tell by his sight or delayed messages. The entire army could have been slaughtered and he wouldn't even know it.

But, you know, war worked exactly the same back then as it does now so everything that works now will work then, right?
>>
>>1296426
>PS: I mastered the ability to detect store fronts immediately.
I know that feeling all too well anon..
>>
File: battle-borodino15.jpg (2 MB, 2292x1419) Image search: [Google]
battle-borodino15.jpg
2 MB, 2292x1419
>>1296390
>So we just paint our dummies into different colors

At Borodino, they had basically the same colors
The only difference were the hats
Pic related, the French have the top of their hat flat while the Russian ones are a bit sunken
>>
>>1296474
The French shakos are taller than the Russians'. The French are all wearing epaulets, while only the Russian officers are. Also the Russians are wearing green instead of blue, so you're colorblind.
>>
>>1296426
>Still didn't use camouflage
The British army performed tests in the early 19th century to see which colour worked best for camo. They found it was Grey but lost the whole "Being able to be saw in smoke" aspect so settled for a compromise in green.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.