[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"Dude, lions are cool as shit!" Is this pretty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10
File: lion.jpg (37 KB, 436x330) Image search: [Google]
lion.jpg
37 KB, 436x330
>"Dude, lions are cool as shit!"

Is this pretty much the thought process behind this and coats of arms and all cultural symbols?
>>
>>1295323
No
>>
>>1295323
Dunno
I know England got lions because the Western French provinces who conquered them (Normandy and Anjou) used hem to begin with, but I don't know about other countries
>>
>>1295323
Yes. They;re fat-cats who sleep all day, eat loads of meat, and have their subordinates do all the hunting for them. The bourgeois of the animal kingdom.
>>
>>1295323
Isn't the lion supposed to be Jesus Christ or, if it has wings, Saint Mark?
>>
>>1295342
>The bourgeois of the animal kingdom.

You mean the royalty of the animal kingdom.
>>
>>1295345
Lion of Judah mufugguh
>>
>>1295323
They're powerful, beautiful, and dignified. They make good symbols.
>>
>>1295356
They aren't utterly worthless so nope
>>
>>1295406
>The phrase appears in the New Testament in Revelation 5:5: "And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof." This is widely regarded as a reference to Jesus among Christians.
>>
>>1295323
yes, lions are at the top of the food chain, likewise rulers view themselves as predating on their underlings
>>
File: Bulgaria-culture-history-Map.jpg (197 KB, 1500x969) Image search: [Google]
Bulgaria-culture-history-Map.jpg
197 KB, 1500x969
Behold, a lion.
>>
>>1295340
>I know England got lions because the Western French provinces who conquered them (Normandy and Anjou) used hem to begin with

No they are leopards but brits still think they're lions
>>
>using wildlife on your coat of arms not native to your country

Fucking disgusting. At least Greeks had lions.
>>
>>1295556
There were lions in France during the Middle Ages though
>>
>>1295532
Looks more like a fat doge t.b.h.
>>
>>1295582
I'm not sure of that.
The only lions who lived in Europe were the asiatic lion in Greece and the eurasian ca lion who went extinct way before the middle ages.
The barbary lion never crossed the sea to Europe
>>
>>1295582
Nope.
>>
>>1295323
> thought process behind this
Totally not that. Actually there are pretty subtle and sophisticated language in play, that you just can't understand because of lack of heraldic knowledge. Rule of cool got nothing with that.
>>
>>1295345
>Jesus is African
Sounds about right.
>>
>>1295878
>lions are african.
>>
>>1295582
WE LIVED ON THE SAVANNA AND SHIT
>>
File: il_570xN.841667196_fqhr.jpg (152 KB, 570x712) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.841667196_fqhr.jpg
152 KB, 570x712
>he doesn't have a rabbit on his coat of arms

It's like you faggots don't want to go fast.
>>
>>1295541
>No they are leopards but brits still think they're lions

In fact, they're neither leopards nor lions, they're "cats", which is a word from old norse and describe an undetermined felid.
But they are traditionnally called "lions" in english, and "leopards" in french.
>>
For everyone who has lions or eagles on their coats of arms, yeah pretty much.

Only good coats of arms are the original and non-cringy ones like pic related.
>>
>>1295880
>WE WUZ ASIAN CATS AND SHIT
>>
>>1296284
>cringy coat of arms
>>
This is the perfect opportunity for me to ask this.
Tell me, /his/, if the lion is not a British animal, why even make the lion their coat of arms? Also did they even know what a lion was when they created it?
>>
Portugal has SEA DRAGONS in their coat of arms. It doesn't get better than this.
>>
File: image.png (148 KB, 640x853) Image search: [Google]
image.png
148 KB, 640x853
This is the seal of pope benedict
>>
File: image.png (173 KB, 455x367) Image search: [Google]
image.png
173 KB, 455x367
>>1295888
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 487x423) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 487x423
>>1296398
>>
>>1295323

no, its the spirit animal of the particular nation
>>
File: 14527486686.jpg (76 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
14527486686.jpg
76 KB, 500x500
>>1295532
>>
>>1296316
You answers are there >>1295340
As for why Western French adopted it in the first place, no idea
>>
>>1296284
Eagles symbolise a lot besides just looking cool. The qualities associated with the Eagle are based on logical conclusions.

Lions are literally just this looks badass: the animal. The qualities associated with the lion are pretty much unrelated to lions and have merely been pushed onto lions by humans
>>
I hate this fucking world, too many god damn fuckers in it.
Too many thoughts and different societies all wrapped up together in this fucking place called AMERICA.
Everyone has their own god damn opinion on every god damn thing,
and you may be saying 'Well what makes you so different?'.
Because I have something only me and V have; SELF AWARENESS.
Call it exortenstiolism or whatever the fuck you want.
We know what we are to this world, and what everyone else is.
We learn more than what caused the civil war and how to simplify quadratics in school.
We've been watching you people and we know what you think and how you act.
All talk and no action.
People who are said to be brave or courageous are usually just STUPID,
then they say later that they did it on purpose cause they're brave,
when they did it on fucking accident.
God everything is so corrupt and so filled with opinions and points of view,
and peoples own little agendas and schedules.
This isn't a world any more.
It's H.O.E and no one knows it.
Self awareness is a wonderful thing.
>>
>>1296398
WE
>>
>>1298265
>he took the red pill
>>
>>1295323
sometime back in antiquity and in medieval times lions were not seen as symbol of nobility

When someone was compared to a lion it was an insult saying it one is like a bloodthirsty feral animal than a person, like it was used in Iliad.

Same how Lionheart was a nickname given for an act of excessive murderous brutality but as word's meaning and context have shifted over the centuries a new meme was born about a just, brave ruler
>>
>>1295323
Yes, coats of arms are just gang-signs gone too far.
>>
Read on /his/ once that they may have been once the standards of late Roman army groups.

I think it makes sense desu

>A group of barbarians that joined the roman army use the roman standard
>Over time command of the group becomes hereditary
>They're still using this standard repainted a dozen times
>WRE collapses and your band of warriors become loyal to some other barbarian King
>Your family and this symbol are synonymous now
>Everyone else sees your cool as fuck standard and make their own

Probably bullshit but I think its an interesting thought
>>
America choose the bald because freedom

pretty much the same reason the japs have birds flying in their anime OPs
>>
>>1298190
Well Brits probably adopted it because they're cucks to anything French. I mean, just look at their language.
>>
>>1298261
Lions, at least the ones I saw in East Africa, are also starving most of the time.

They stick to one territory and just starved, barely scraping by on warthogs until wildebeest and zebra came back for like a month, then went back to starving.

It's pretty fascinating. If anyone here lives in the Pacific Northwest, think bears and salmon.
>>
>>1299568
There's actually a really good episode of a series called "Nature's Greatest Events" done by BBC that follows some of the lions I got the chance to see.
>>
>>1298765
It is a cool thought, I agree - but like you I also suspect bullshit. People love trying to trace anything they can back to a Roman origin, and the whole descendants of the 'lost legion' narrative.
>>
>>1298477
Pretty sure it was both.
>>
>>1296367
god save us all if we can't find better than portugal
>>
>>1298765
It's probably not that. Europeans had to introduce heraldry to the ERE. Pre-islamic persians did have heraldry, but it's unlikely at best that they transfered it to western europeans.

Unless sarmatians, culturally cousins of the persians, introduced it to the germanic invaders and those in turn introduced it to western europe. But I don't think the german invaders had heraldry either. It's probably just a natural thing when you get powerful clans of warriors to control everything. The japanese also developed heraldry.
>>
>>1299860
The Draco standards of the late Roman Empire came from Sarmatia didn't they? I know they influenced heraldic representations of dragons in the Middle Ages.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.