[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are shieldmaidens just a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7
File: lagertha.jpg (224 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
lagertha.jpg
224 KB, 600x600
Are shieldmaidens just a meme?
>>
>>1295292
Yes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NujhCEBoF7s
>>
>>1295305
How do you explain the fact that numerous mass graves full of armed women have been found?
>>
>>1295476
>how do you explain servants in carrying sheilds and weapons in combat getting killed
>>
Shieldmemes
>>
>>1295476
Should've watched the video. Women of powerful status are going to be buried with ceremonial objects of power.
>>
>>1295292
They're a meme. All those graves of chicks buried with swords are probably just LARPer's
>>
>>1295513
>Should've watched the video
20 minutes of RCH droning is punishing
>>
Women were forbidden from owning weapons and I kinda doubt they fought with their tits.
>>
>>1295305
this was pretty cool if any of it is actually true
>>
>>1295785
>Women were forbidden from owning weapons
citation?
>>
>>1295476

They were easy to kill.
>>
File: women defending castle.jpg (44 KB, 452x253) Image search: [Google]
women defending castle.jpg
44 KB, 452x253
Not formally, but you bet your ass plenty of women defended themselves with weapons.

The classic, 'I'm in this castle under siege and If I don't do anything I might get rape-murdered'. Or, 'the english are raiding my village I must stick them with this sword I got. And, this caravan I'm traveling in is under attack by bandits, defend myself at all costs'.

Plus who knows how many individuals cut their hair and pretended to be guys.
>>
>>1295292
If I recall correctly they basically just screamed and bitched from the sidelines and played waterboy for the men.

They were used as pschological warfare. A big part of the Norse war machine was fear, making themselves seem like some larger-than-life beastial threat.

So they basically just shrieked and tried to psyche out and insult the enemy.
>>
>>1295292
If I have a bodyguard infront of me at all times...I'd atleast like for'em to have a nice ass. A fine final memory.
>>
>ywn smell their boots and stroke their greasy hair

brb kms
>>
>>1295292
Yes and no; on the one hand there's virtually no support whatsoever for the idea that women went to war but I'm the other hand there's plenty of evidence that they participated in defensive actions when the need arose.
>>
>>1295491
>Vikings
>Servants
>>
>>1296593
"If I say it it must be true"
>>1295292
Not a meme, actually happened.
>>
>>1297564

a sheild maiden is literally a servant who carries a sheild in combat. All Germanic people had slaves and used servants/squires in combat for carrying spears and sheilds
>>
>>1295292
>>1295476

Considering the viking raiders would have been 15-21 in age, their wives would have been 11-15. So no there were no female viking warriors because that would be physically impossible for even a grown woman let alone a child
>>
>>1297848
Which is what plutarch described in his descriptions of the Teutones and Cambrii fighting Marius.

/thread
>>
>>1297595
>actually happened.
"If I say it it must be true"
>>
>>1296223

Women are naturally submissive and would rather beg for mercy instead of defending themselves.
>>
>>1297860
They are, but then again so are you.
>>
>>1297564
Thralls then.

When the man of the house left to go viking, the wife would take over the farm, Now why the fuck would she also leave, leaving the house unattended in the process?
>>
>>1298347
>what are kinship groups
>>
>>1298580
There are none when every single one is fucking off to raiding.
>>
>>1295476

Because weapons like swords were status symbols. They weren't just tools, they often had great religious and cultural values. There are graves of high class children and infants buried with swords as well, that doesn't mean that there were warrior babies.
>>
>>1298804
I think hes talking about that historian that wrote what he found on a battlefield, Some varangian guard boys got fucked and they found female soldiers among the dead, Most likely a desperate attempt by the Guard to unfuck themself, and not something they did all the time
>>
The legend comes from the women that fought in that battle with germanics and huns. There aren't any examples of norse shieldmaidens afterwards
>>
They do form part of their myths including that pictured character so the norse thought of them as "real" at least.
>>
>>1295305
>revisionist crusader wanking

is he the right-winged version of John Greene?
>>
>>1297860
feminine nature says that

but human nature says "kill the bastard"
>>
File: 1437654336697.jpg (53 KB, 294x406) Image search: [Google]
1437654336697.jpg
53 KB, 294x406
>>1299098
>Myths
>Realistic
>>
>>1297860
anons are naturally autistic and would rather shitpost than think for themselves but that doesn't mean every anon in the world is you
>>
>>1299164
Why do illiterates come to /his/?
>>
>>1299146
No it doesn't. Women go with whatever side wins, it's biology. And men don't kill rival group's women, they assimilate them. Even in politics this is true. Women only strongly support a side if they have a male figure to guide them in doing so. Extreme political opinions, especially, are almost never held by women.
>>
>>1299275
that's a very clean and organized view of history and human nature you got there.
>>
>>1299234
Myths do not depict the regular state of the world.
>>
>>1299303
So?
This doesn't change your inability to read. In fact, you're only digging yourself deeper.
>>
>>1299275
You're unbelievably full of shit
>>
File: 1466097567779s.jpg (3 KB, 125x95) Image search: [Google]
1466097567779s.jpg
3 KB, 125x95
>>
>>1299451
fml
>>
>>1298773

it wouldn't matter if the wife joined the raid because there would be an entire kinship group to take care of the house/estate
>>
>>1299289
It's true more times than not, too.
>>
>>1297860
in one of the most famous hungarian-turk sieges women actively worked on the battlements fending off the climbers with hot water and oil
>>
>>1299700
I actually pay a 30 year old woman to pour hot oil on me. That's very interesting
>>
>>1299713
I meant boiling, and you know it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Eger_(1552)
>>
>>1299743
>>1299713
Oils don't generally boil, they ignite well below their boiling point.
>>
>>1299275
I'll just take your word for it I guess.
>>
If you're interested
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dahomey_Amazons
>>
>>1300840
>get BTFO in every conflict
I'm starting to see why it's a bad idea.
>>
>>1299275
I would rebuff, but in the end I know this is probably just the result of you either never meeting a woman or only associating yourself with whores.
>>
>>1295476
>How do you explain the fact that numerous mass graves full of armed women have been found?
>numerous mass graves full of armed women
Simple: your head's so far up your ass that you're seeing shit. This just straight up isn't true, you're either a liar or a retarded faggot.
>>
We already have a board for bluepilled opinions of women, guys.
>>
File: basic training female.webm (3 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
basic training female.webm
3 MB, 320x240
#armystrong
>>
>>1301700
Kek
>>
>>1301700
ahahaha
thats one strong independent womyn
>>
File: 1450308300163.gif (4 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1450308300163.gif
4 MB, 200x200
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onna-bugeisha

If Japs had weaponized noble housewives, I see no reason to deny that female warriors existed in Europe too. Sure, they were very RARE, but you keep forgetting that female freaks with higher testosterone levels existed over the course of the whole history. I'm sure there were some Helgas that fought in the war and posed as men (not that they had to try very hard, testosterone fuck up your feminine looks).
>>
>>1299492
>Little evidence that women ventured with their men to battle

>Plenty of evidence they stayed back home and became head of the house
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.