[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dogs are awesome, aren't they? Especially Dobbs, I love
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7
File: 32d.jpg (32 KB, 503x503) Image search: [Google]
32d.jpg
32 KB, 503x503
Dogs are awesome, aren't they? Especially Dobbs, I love Dobbs.

Now I know what you're thinking: "Doesn't this belong on /an/?" Well, yeah. Normally. But this is about the *history* of dogs!

So let's share interesting /his/ related stuff about dogs.

This is from the Aberdeen Bestiary, which isn't that useful for naturalists, but does give a wealth of information as to what things represented in Medieval art

>The dog's ability to heal wounds by licking them represents how the wounds of sin can be cured by confession. The dog returning to its vomit signifies those who make confession but then return to their sinfull ways. The dog dropping the meat it has to try to gain the meat it sees is like foolish people who give up what they already have for the illusion presented by desire, and so lose what they have without gaining what they desire.
>>
>>1293439
This thread physically hurts
>>
>>1293443
Your shitpost physically hurts
>>
Prince Rupert's dog, Boye, followed him into battle. Parliamentarian propaganda claimed he was actually a shapeshifted Finnish woman who could detect treasures and catch bullets
>>
File: 800px-Irish_Wolfhound_3.jpg (185 KB, 800x1066) Image search: [Google]
800px-Irish_Wolfhound_3.jpg
185 KB, 800x1066
Despite the ancient tradition of war-dogs in Ireland following the English conquest only the nobility were allowed to own Irish wolfhounds.

On a non-history related note like tallfag humans Irish wolfhounds as one of the largest dogs on the planet have relatively short life spans.
>>
>>1293719
>Parliamentarian propaganda claimed he was actually a shapeshifted Finnish woman who could detect treasures and catch bullets
>Finnish
Probably totally accurate.
>>
>>1293439

Ivan the Terrible suppossedly enjoyed torturing and killing dogs and cats during his youth. One of his favourite passtimes was droping dogs from high towers.
>>
File: 1465159758339.png (51 KB, 657x527) Image search: [Google]
1465159758339.png
51 KB, 657x527
>>1293754
That's not the kind of info I hoped this thread would be about.
>>
>>1293719
>tfw no Finnish witch gf
>>
File: 2954_pekines.jpg (52 KB, 450x329) Image search: [Google]
2954_pekines.jpg
52 KB, 450x329
> Human evolution was influenced by dogs.
I always found that idea a neat for some reason. It wasn't like wolves turned into dogs because of us, but we turned into a humans because of them. Its also amusing that they are only animal that really influenced the last stage of human evolution.
>>
>>1293778
>Last animal that influenced human evolution

Lactose tolerance is a fairly new trait. Any animal that produces milk that we consume can by that logic be said to have influenced human evolution.

Talking about stages of evolution is kind of inaccurate I think.
>>
>>1293778
Wait, if dogs affected human evolution, what does that say about populations that till relatively recently lived without dogs?
>>
>>1294516
It says a lot about those populations.
>>
>>1295221
Does mainstream science ever talk about that, like trying to disprove the differences or comment them, or do they just ignore the possibilities?
Quite new to this dog-related research really.
>>
>>1293719
>In reality, Boye could only detect treats and catch bones
>>
File: Doggydogworld.jpg (538 KB, 1920x1082) Image search: [Google]
Doggydogworld.jpg
538 KB, 1920x1082
>>1293439

When I read the stories and see the pictures/drawings of German Shepherd's pre-1939 I am deeply saddened. They supposedly had no issue jumping over walls eight feet or higher, and had a much greater stamina and endurance than they do today.

Their back legs especially have seem to suffer immensely- they have poor posture and have lost something close to an entire foot in height.

That's why I buy Akita's. Glass cannons, these fuckers are.
>>
>>1296907
Most fucked-up dogs were actually functional at some point.
>>
>>1293439
I wish yoir god would take you right now.
>>
>>1293439
My doge can smile.
>>
>>1296907
>Their back legs especially have seem to suffer immensely- they have poor posture and have lost something close to an entire foot in height.

that's because some fucking retards liked the way it looked.
>>
>dogs made it to space before humans
>dogs time travelled before humans
>dogs spread across the continents before humans
Dogs are truly amazing.
>>
File: 1462852512478.png (55 KB, 234x210) Image search: [Google]
1462852512478.png
55 KB, 234x210
>>1293754
DELET THIS
>>
>>1296907

Fucking pet owner scum with their shitty "breeding" programs have fucked up most dogs to the point where they can no longer do what the fuck they were originally bred to do.

That's one of the reasons I hate pet owners, and especially the fucking dog show "competitors".
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.