[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Aside from Belize, most of Central America is pretty much identical.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: Map_of_Central_America.png (110 KB, 848x605) Image search: [Google]
Map_of_Central_America.png
110 KB, 848x605
Aside from Belize, most of Central America is pretty much identical. My question is, why did it split into a bunch of small jungle states? Wouldn't they have been much better off unified under Grand Nicaragua again?
>>
>>1291735
What makes Belize not like the rest of 'em?
>>
>>1291747
It was under Brits instead of Spaniards.
>>
>>1291751
thanks

I know very very little about central america, probably have the least amount of general knowledge about it versus any other region of the world. So I'm ooking forward to this thread picking up
>>
>>1291747
Belize has more English/Germanic influences than the rest of Central America
>>
>>1291735
>Central America
>Identical
Fuck off, no selse respecting tico will like to be paired with a bunch of mayas and poverty ridden "countries"
Also
>Grand Nicaragua
Not even Federal Republic of Central America
>>
>>1291735
>Aside from Belize, most of Central America is pretty much identical

Not really, no, it can actually be divided in three different cultural regions way different from each other. I suppose you are implying that the countries which are part of the Mesoamerican cultural area, Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador and Nicaragua represent the region, but the four of them share more with Mexico (something obvious I think, considering it also belongs to the Mesoameircan cultural area) and USA than what they share with Costa Rica and Panama, countries historically and culturally isolated from their Northern regions.

An interesting situation is how the idea of "Central America" being something else than a geographic term is that some idiots even try to apply it to pre Columbian history or to cultures with no relation to each other. An example of this is how Costa Rican or Panamanian Amerindians, the Chibchas, people with no cultural ties with Mesoamerican Amerindians and are pretty far away in terms of genetics are "mixed" with them just because, of course, this doesn't work well
>>
>>1292239
>it can actually be divided in three different cultural regions way different from each other

Why not three bigger countries then and not the mess of banana republics we have?
>>
>>1292264
>we

Wew lad, anyway, only Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala and Nicaragua are still considered in this age "Banana republics" (countries with economies which depend on a single product and/or single economic partner) and failed states at that.

Belize, country you could say represents the "Caribbean" of the region is what is left of it, the rest of the Angle Caribbean Central American was absorbed by Nicaragua, Honduras and Guatemala in wars and agreements with both USA and the UK, you could say that could be the third country. In the case of Costa Rica and Panama, while both have pretty good relations between them and share many of their different cultural regions, there is no reason besides and stupid idea of RISK for the countries to merge together in one country, specially if you consider that the Costa Rican Central Valley share more with their Colombian brothers than even the average Panamanian.

Then again, we go back to Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala and Nicaragua, countries not only similar in terms of culture and population, but in politics economies and so one. If you use a cultural argument to make those four countries to join, why stop there? You could make them join Mexico if you are going to use and ethnic - cultural. You could use the same argument with Panama and CR, is they join merely because of their cultural ties, they should join Colombia, Ecuador and Venezuela.

Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala and Nicaragua, the four of them failed states, are pretty similar and the ones of Central American with the conditions to actually make a country between them.
>>
>>1292323
I meant "we" as in the current present world. Thanks for the explanation anyways.
>>
>>1291747
Mayans showed up and said "eh", then left.

Spanish showed up and left because there were no Mayans to enslave.

Scots show up later and it ends up becoming part of Britain.

It's been surprisingly stable over the course of history (Great Depression aside) because they have no involvement with foreign interest and the World Bank like many other Central/South American countries do.

They found oil there a few years ago, the national language is english, and the place is the most sparsely populated country in the Americas. Seems like it'd be a good place to live, honestly.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.