[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
are we in the age of decline and soon in the age of chaos?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
File: 990x612-pluto-cycle.jpg (67 KB, 990x612) Image search: [Google]
990x612-pluto-cycle.jpg
67 KB, 990x612
are we in the age of decline and soon in the age of chaos?
>>
>>1290467
Stop basing your idea of the future of society on quotes from old people and instead read journals on sociology if you're concerned. I don't think an incoming massive societal collapse is expected by people who study this.
>>
File: SJ Glubb_Fate of Empires.png (61 KB, 573x412) Image search: [Google]
SJ Glubb_Fate of Empires.png
61 KB, 573x412
>>1290473
so do you claim the historical cycles aren't real?
>>
File: 1407952056577.jpg (279 KB, 653x833) Image search: [Google]
1407952056577.jpg
279 KB, 653x833
>>1290467

>Interpreting the history of the United States via the astrological positioning of Pluto
>>
>>1290504
>his doesn't know the most important theory of history as a science
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_cycle_theory
lol
>>
>>1290513

>hey guys what if sometimes things get better, and at other times things get worse?

FUCKING GROUNDBREAKING REVELATIONS RIGHT HERE
>>
>>1290517
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cmsnx95aPA
>>
>>1290525

>StopFundingIsrael

Yeah nah crawl back to wherever you came from m8
>>
Kali Yuga
>>
>>1290530
let me put a non meme video then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2CCs-x9q9U
>>
>>1290558
that is just another meme video
>>
>>1290570
You're a meme.
>>
>>1290570
why don't you try to argue their points rather than saying insults?
>>
>>1290467
>>
>>1290486
Based on what did Ottoman Empire last from 1320-1570? a whole lot 300 years more to go on

It's a nice way to twist statistics by specifically picking a period such as "Romanov Russia". What does an end of a ruling dynasty have anything to do with rise and fall of an Empire? Most Empires succeeded several changes of rulers without significant period of collapse?
>>
>>1290640
I dunno, I just wanted to talk about it.
I'm just starting to watch lectures about the topic.
>>
Probably. Things'll go worse for a bit, but after a while things'll go better for a bit. Best thing to do is to prepare for the bad time, and try to build things from the ground up again. Trying to keep it afloat is harder than just rebuilding.
>>
File: eye-pyramid.jpg (27 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
eye-pyramid.jpg
27 KB, 640x360
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3HWAi9yoSc
>>
>>1290640

1320-1570 was the age of Ottoman expansion. After that it was only preservation. Same for the Roman Empire.
>>
>>1290473
Bullshit. There's huge demographic collapse. White Americans and Europeans are reproducing below replacement level while importing foreigners (Hispanics,Muslims) that produce way more than them. Future Chinese historians will record this century as one comparable to the demographic decline of the finno Ugric people which allowed for the expansion of the Slavs.
>>
So you put WWII in the age of "intellect" ? And the crisis of 1929 in the age of "Affluence" ? I would make these ages way wider and start the cicle at the fall of Roman Empire. The first 4 would take place during the Middle Age, "Intellect" would be the Renaissance, the "decadence" would start with the French Revolution and "decline" with WWI.
>>
File: decline.jpg (108 KB, 600x917) Image search: [Google]
decline.jpg
108 KB, 600x917
>>1291627
That's a completely different cycle. The one in the OP is the lifecycle of the great empires as imagined by John Bagot Glubb in The Fate of Empires. Your idea is more like Oswald Spenglers cycle of cultures/civilizations as detailed in The Decline of the West.
>>
File: spengler skinner.jpg (203 KB, 450x750) Image search: [Google]
spengler skinner.jpg
203 KB, 450x750
>>1291659
>mfw were are in a greater cycle, that is the cycle of Civilisation itself as opposed to individual cultural expressions of it
>mfw the finno-korean hyperwar marked the close of the last cycle of civilisation
>mfw we are approaching the end of civilisation itself once again. When we reach the singularity civilisation will collapse.
>mfw we're all just pawns in Spengler's game
>>
>>1290467
>1776
Let's start with the fact, that the American Revolution wasn't revolutionary in any way. And this circle is pretty US-centric
>>
>>1291159
there is a very close relation between living standards and reproduction rates. as immigrants' living standards rise, they will reproduce less
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.