[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the essential readings on stoic philosophy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: marcus-aurelius.jpg (161 KB, 715x988) Image search: [Google]
marcus-aurelius.jpg
161 KB, 715x988
What are the essential readings on stoic philosophy?
>>
>>1287374
Letters from a Stoic - Seneca
Enchiridion - Epictetus
Meditations - Marky Marc
>>
>>1287378
Thanks. I'm currently reading Meditations and enjoying it greatly.

While doing some research on stoicism on Wikipedia I happened upon an article on stoic physics which, as a physics student, I found very enthralling. Does anyone know if there are any compiled readings that expound on stoic physics or is it all pretty much scattered through the works of various philosophers?

The article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoic_physics
>>
>Fatalism
Into the trash.
>>
>>1287809
You wasted 30 seconds of your life to post that here. I want you to reflect on how little your time means if you consider that a constructive utilization of it.
>>
>>1287817
>30 seconds
How slow do you type?
>>
>>1287821
8 words per minute. Are you retarded, too?
>>
>>1287395
>I found very enthralling
>and enjoying it greatly.
You are doing it wrong.
>>
>>1287895
In this moment, I am uneuphoric. Not because of any phony emotion's blessing, but because I am enlightened by my stoicism.
>>
>>1287895
Not who you're responding to but Stoicism doesn't oppose enjoyment. It just says not to become dependent so that when it is no longer there you will not be sad
>>
File: Guide-to-the-Good-Life.jpg (22 KB, 356x500) Image search: [Google]
Guide-to-the-Good-Life.jpg
22 KB, 356x500
>>1287378
>>1287395

In addition to the main sources, I recently read pic related and I think it was a really good synthesis on the philosophy and some modern applications.

Also google "stoic six pack", the first volume compiles all the sources that anon suggested.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.