[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, what do you think of the Uncanny? Where do you draw the line
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5
File: viderparis03.jpg (80 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
viderparis03.jpg
80 KB, 1000x667
So, what do you think of the Uncanny? Where do you draw the line between it and the Sublime?
>>
File: Sigmund_Freud_LIFE.jpg (876 KB, 1066x1500) Image search: [Google]
Sigmund_Freud_LIFE.jpg
876 KB, 1066x1500
>>1284733
Does the Uncanny scare you or just discomfort you Anon? When's the last time you experienced the Sublime or the Uncanny?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>1284733
Are these geographical regions or historical eras? Perhaps you should ask the people on >>>/x/?
As always, thank you for shitposting on 4chan
>>
>>1284776
>Are these geographical regions or historical eras? Perhaps you should ask the people on >>>/x/?
>As always, thank you for shitposting on 4chan

What the fuck are you on about m8? It's obviously neither and I fail to see what the paranormal has to do with this.

>This board is dedicated to the discussion of history and the other humanities such as philosophy, religion, law, classical artwork, archeology, anthropology, ancient languages, etc.

Discussion regarding the Sublime and the Uncanny is entirely appropriate to this board.
>>
How does Piranesi make you feel?
>>
>>1284733
Did the Uncanny exist before Bosch?
>>
>>1284906
In a sense it did. Uncanny works of art have arguably existed in Western culture ever since antiquity, but that would be applying the term retrospectively. The concept itself was only formally described in the late 19th century.

Why did you mention Bosch, by the way? I'm interested to know
>>
>>1284913
He seemed to be the first to put a handle on the bizarre. Beforehand, you have images of demons, dancing skeletons and people with animal heads worshiped as gods without a second thought, but Bosch is the first to really make those images uncanny.
>>
Kantian Sublime = best sublime

We see something in nature we are unable to comprehend, yet we realize this inability to do so, thus mastering nature.
>>
>>1284938
I agree with what you make of his work but I'm not sure that he's the first to introduce the bizzare. Entertain this thought. The places and the characters visited by Odysseus in the Odyssey are all at the same time partially familiar but also strange and other-worldly. Think of the lotus-eaters, the cyclops etc. Remember, they're not worshipped or portrayed as pure evil either. What do you think? I'm only suggesting this, I'm not 100% convinced of it.
>>
>>1284883
prefer giuseppe bibiena meself
>>
>>1284947
That last bit seems like cheating lol.
>>
>>1284959
I remember an introduction to the Iliad suggesting the Greeks never thought of the mind and body as one entity. What I mean is that despite everything we owe them, we're still separated by a vast amount of time, and things like the Odyssey were most likely taken quite literally.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.