[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /his/ what can you tell me about the Hittites? I just learned
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
Hey /his/ what can you tell me about the Hittites? I just learned of Kikkuli's hyper-advanced horse-conditioning regimen, with details such as slow-twitch muscles being selected for, and a folksy knowledge of electrolytes and how to replace them. Can anyone tell me more about these fascinating people? In my uninformed mind I have a hard time differentiating them from the Assyrians.
>>
Their language is related to English

watar = water
taru = tree
duttar = daughter
>>
>>1284770
And roth- means "thing that spins" as in rotate. But that's if I'm not mistaken they speak a language not far removed from proto indo-European. Things like mother, father, tree, water, shit, etc. Are not likely to change much, as they might be cultural universals. Notice how most children's first phoneme is usually (when calling out to their mother) 'ma' around which which most indo-European words for "mother" are based.

But that's neither here nor there.
>>
>>1284699
Their descendants are Circassians
>>
>>1284780
>Notice how most children's first phoneme is usually (when calling out to their mother) 'ma'

Only because people keep trying to get them to make those sounds. In other languages its usually something else.
>>
>>1284952
that's not true. those are called maximal sounds, its just easier to open or close your mouth all the way. for example, in turkish its babo, in sumerian father is abba and mother is ama. shit's universal, yo. a regular part of first language acquisition.
>>
>>1284699
https://youtu.be/2es_cCO6LQ8

>>1285022
>Sumerian
You mean Semitic?
Mark 14:35-36:
And, going forward a little, he fell upon the ground, and was praying that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him, and was saying, "Abba! Father! All things are possible to thee; bear aside this cup from me; but not what I will, but what thou wilt."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ab_(Semitic)
>>
Bump. Surely someone knows about the hittites.
>>
>>1284770
English and all indo-european languages.
>>
Decent BBC video about them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cVfIJikiMI

And one from the Oriental Institute that focusses much more on the archaeology
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxBMpMR4pqs
>>
>>1285751
Most of the data accumulated over time led to a poor understanding until the last 15 years and we're still not entirely sure it's complete. When you ask "about" them, I'm guessing you want to know what made them somehow different from surrounding cultures.

We know they had extensive trade with Semitic and Egyptian people in various eras, adapting styles of writing, as hieroglyphs and cuneiform to an IE derivative language. They were some of the earliest smelters of meteoric iron for the purpose of objects larger than simple curios or religious artifacts. They were militaristic, but not always for the purpose of conquest, and they would return home with defeated opponents' "gods" in the form of writings and icons, to add to their own collection, which toward the end would number close to 200.

We know they perfected the chariot with improved materials and stability design. They had a sort of plumbing or irrigation system to deliver water to large hill fortresses, which were built of grandiose solid masonry.

We know in the earlier era they conflicted, and were invaded by, neighbors from all directions. For one period in time they were all but wiped out, pushed into a little corner, from which they'd eventually fight back out when those surrounding cultures became weak over time. They'd eventually become powerful enough to sack, but not hold, Babylon proper and fight against Ramesses II to a draw at Qadesh.

They abandoned what we take to have been their capitol region for reasons we don't know or understand entirely. We're not entirely sure where they went, but most people think, generally, west into the population of what we now, generally, consider "Greeks".
>>
File: topkek çilekli.jpg (55 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
topkek çilekli.jpg
55 KB, 500x500
>>1284699
They're the ones who make "Topkek", aren't they?
>>
File: his penis is new.jpg (16 KB, 308x257) Image search: [Google]
his penis is new.jpg
16 KB, 308x257
>>1285554
>His frame is new, his breast is new, his penis is new, his head is of tin, his teeth are those of a lion, his eyes are (those) of an eagle, and he sees like an eagle.
>his penis is new

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>1284699
If Hittites had better chariots that supported three men, why didn't their enemies adopt that technology?
>>
File: Ramses_II_charging_Nubians.jpg (39 KB, 480x198) Image search: [Google]
Ramses_II_charging_Nubians.jpg
39 KB, 480x198
>>1287924
Because the Egyptians favored a more fast and agile "Shooting platform" style of chariot, rather than the more melee oriented Hatti "war carts"
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.